16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Sportsman's Warehouse
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Just found out that Sportsman's Warehouse will be opening a new store at the end of November, in my area. Are they a good business to deal with? Do they really have a good selection of items as they claim? It's not like you can view items or shop online, like you can at BassPro, or Cabella's. This will be the first national (big chain type) hunting & fishing store for the Sacramento area. BassPro has signed a letter of content, to build one of their stores in down town Sacramento, IF the city votes to build a new sports arena & shopping plaza in the old rail yards. Rolling Eyes
Clay N Birds
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:12 pm  Reply with quote

I have worked in the SW store in Anchorage since we opened 3 years ago. In the Anchorage area we pretty much have the lowest prices on most items. I've only heard 2 negative comments since we opened and many, many positive ones.
We are a warehouse with a lot of beautiful game and fish mounts. Cabelas's and Bass Pro are much fancier. I've been to both and enjoy them very much. Went to the Bass Pro in Council Bluffs last fall and enjoyed the beautiful murals and displays. However, the cost of an item is what I'm more interested in. Sportsman's Warehouse saves millions not having the displays and passes good prices onto the customer.
I think you will enjoy the store very much.

Steve
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:05 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Clay N Birds.
They don't need to dress up the building for me. A good selection & supply of quality products is what I like. Oh, and lower prices are always a good thing! I'll be sure to venture over there (Rocklin, CA), after they open up.
87016ga
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:03 am  Reply with quote

nossman:
i will frequent a sportsman's warehouse before the other "big chain" stores.
as the name states, warehouse, is the decour. thier prices are usually lower, and you can find oddball gems like federal 16ga 1400fps, 7/8 oz game loads, 8 point crimps, for about $4.00 a box.
great loads for dove,grouse and long-range 5-stand targets.
you will like the store.
chopper
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

Sportsman's warehouse is the only place that I've found 16 ga Kent TM. Not only did they have the TM but, they had them for $13 a box. That's at least $3 less than I've seen them on the net.

My preception was that SW has about 1/2 more options/variety than Gander and Dicks. They certainly beat out BassPro IMO. I can't recall what Cabela's selection is like. I only go there once a year when I head to SD and I take what I need with me.
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:38 pm  Reply with quote

What chopper and 870 16ga said-and there's one only 5 min from my place. Very Happy The one by me does not, however, carry used guns.

Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:19 pm  Reply with quote

We have SW, Bass Pro, Ganders, and Cabelas to open soon. Ganders reloading section is a joke and the place in general does nothing to ring my bell. Bass Pro is a beautiful store but their reloading section is nothing too exciting. I prefer SW for buying components and they seem to have a lot stuff. Very Happy Fortunately, SW is about 5 minutes from work. But none of them have much in the way of 16 ga stuff. I looked through Bass Pro gun library and it was overpriced and in many cases the overpriced guns were not of very high condition.

Fluesy
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:05 pm  Reply with quote

It's either a 45 minute trip into Tucson to Sportsman's Warehouse or a 2-1/2 hour drive to Glendale to Cabelas. What the heck's a guy to do? SW has 90% of what Cabelas has except like Revdocdrew said no used guns. We have bought a few guns this year and are finding SW to be as or more competitive than Cabelas. Bigger selection at Cabelas but the prices have been a little higher too. As far as reloading components and gear SW is way way ahead. Cabelas in Glendale has a substantial amount of 16 gauge ammo, and they really did good getting that Citori in for me. For clothes and gear I think Cabelas has a wider selection and the prices are about even up. But Guns and Goodies, I look at Sportsman's Warehouse first. I just wish I could find some 16 gauge stuff under $50 bucks a flat. I think you'll find the store a welcome change from the normal sporting goods store. SW makes Big 5 or the Sport Authority look like Pikers.
My $.02 worth
Chet
3crosses
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:10 pm  Reply with quote

We had one open here in July 06. Nice store and close. No longer have to venture to El Paso for reloading supplies. But, I have found their ammo to be expensive. I can not find 16 ga in any load for under 6.50 a box. 28 are 7.50 a box.

Maybe after the new wears off the ammo prices will start down. That or maybe I get them and big 3 to price match.
nossman
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. This will be the first "big chain" type store for northern CA. BassPro may end up building in downtown Sacramento, but I don't go there very often. I would rarther drive the other direction, over the mountians to Reno, to visit the new Cabela's that will be opening next year. This SW will be about 10 miles away, in the hart of the new suberbia. We could use another/new source. The couple of shops that we have (other than Big 5, Sportsmart, & Walmart), are in opposite parts of the metro area.
nutcase
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:33 am  Reply with quote

What you need to realize about Cabela's and Bass Pro Shops is that they are as much "tourist traps" as they are sporting goods stores. So if its the lowest price you are looking for you usually won't find it at either one. There are exceptions of course.

Sportsmans Warehouse is pretty much just another big box store. Better at some things than others. They like to promote themselves as a specialty store with discount prices. But when it gets right down to it the service isn't what you would expect from a specialty store. This is not because of the employees, although some clearly lack the knowledge required, but mostly because of corporate policies.
87016ga
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:46 pm  Reply with quote

nutcase:
your last post can damn near be applied to 90% of the business out there !