16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Lengthened Forcing Cone Dates
goathoof
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:42 am  Reply with quote

A personal example of what WyoChucker wrote about deformation being positive - I visited an old classmate in North Platte, and we went to the sporting gun club to shoot clays. I brought an extra full choked drilling 16 ga and tried to shoot skeet with my plastic reloads with the dr 16 wad. I did not hit anything. Then I pulled out my magtech brass reloads and hit about 60-70% of the targets. Having those pellets get mangled coming out like a spreader load did the trick.
Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:22 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry, I didn't mean to start this up again:)

I think they clearly are not detrimental. So they are likely beneficial.

Maybe later this year I will resurrect this again. I have a 2.5 " chamber and a full/full gun that will get cut to 2.75" with long forcing cones. Going to take the reamers to the ranch and open the chokes until get sk1 and IC. Maybe I will cut one full to IC before doing the chamber/ FC and leave one full then cut the chambers and bring g the other to IC.

Then of course I will be biased if I show what I think will happen.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:11 pm  Reply with quote

Back bored barrels seem to be the norm. Isn't a longer forcing cone just a step toward a BBB? Please help the new guy understand...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:59 am  Reply with quote

What I see being the upside to long forcing cones, porting and proper choke systems are less deformed pellets.

In my guns that I have had the work done on, it has always meant that if I put a ballistically sound load in the shotgun I get a good pattern out......and I can manipulate the pattern a lot more effectively using the choke, Gone are the days of playing around with loads to find a good pattern.

I do not believe in using chilled shot and deforming pellets to open patterns. I will use a spreader load for that.

Why? I want every pellet that I can get to be in the effective pattern.

I don't have this kind of barrel work done to all my shotguns, only the ones I use the most.

Not a big fan of back boring because that means non standard choke constrictions, more expense and I have never really seen it change things a lot.

I am a big fan of porting, because it lowers muzzle region pressure and allows better patterns from heavier loads using slower burning powders. Lots of folks don't like porting and I get that.

YMMV

MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:56 pm  Reply with quote

Agree all the way, DogChaser37. That's a very good post. The better reasons for back-boring are 1) to clean up pitting, and 2) to reduce the weight of the barrel(s). Of course that assumes one has sufficient wall thickness to be able to tolerate back-boring.

I especially like your comment that porting reduces the potential pattern-distorting pressure at the muzzle. It makes sense. I wonder how big a factor that is? I frankly dislike the way porting looks as well as the cleaning aspect, so I wouldn't do it on a gun I liked for aesthetic reasons, but on a target gun, or a gun with less aesthetic or monetary value? . . . sure, you bet. I'm thinking a back-bored, tuned-up Stevens 311 or an old Sauer, with ported barrels and a straight grip re-stocking in a solid but inexpensive piece of walnut might make a great performing knock-around game gun.

Cheers!
Tony
duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke (Tony)

I did the 311 SXS you mentioned but with ported extended chokes. It was a 12 ga & I lucked into a stock in the local Cabela's Bargain Cave. From that, I can testify that 311s make a great truck gun, knock-about, but ports are a pain and catch every bit of dirt from everywhere. Sold the gun and did another with an early Stevens SXS in 16 that came with nice walnut. Much better without the ports and long cones...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
rdja
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:

I am a big fan of porting, because it lowers muzzle region pressure and allows better patterns from heavier loads using slower burning powders. Lots of folks don't like porting and I get that.

Actually the people who REALLY dislike porting, are those to your side. Was duck hunting once and one of the guys semi was not operating well so he used his back up gun a OU ported 12 ga that was more of a target gun. My daughter and I were about 10-15 yards around the corner of the pothole, but the report was so load we moved down and still put in ear plugs.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:23 am  Reply with quote

Like I said, I get it!! Very Happy Very Happy Cool