16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New SWT 16 Grips for 2017 Not Factory
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:01 pm  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Dave , looks great so far . I have been thinking about changing mine , maybe not as far as a straight stock like yours , but something just alittle more open with a new grip cap aand slim it down some. Not sure it will work now that we have found out about the hole under the cap. I shoot the gun so well like it is , I'm kinda afraid to change anything . I have carried mine quite a few miles this season and it sure is uncomfortable when carrying it over my shoulder , may learn to live with it.

Thanks for the preview.

Mark, I'm more than glad to be the Guinea Pig! I'm also going to put sling studs on it.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Mark, I'll just add that for some reason I tend to shoot straight grip stocks better. I really can't pinpoint any reason why. My bevy of bird guns are in constant evolution and more and more straight grip shotguns muscle their way into the safe.
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:19 pm  Reply with quote

Laying out the checkering pattern.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/podvu6jdj] [/URL]
[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pm0uKdyVj] [/URL]
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 am  Reply with quote

Talked to my stocker yesterday and he's going to strip and restain/refinish the forend to match the buttstock. He said he just couldn't quite get them to match which is what we thought would happen all along. He also added that he's going recut the checkering on the forend because of the flat diamonds he sees. He said his diamonds are "sharp!" Gotta love a man who knows his trade and won't settle for less than his best!
fn16ga
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:58 pm  Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it .
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:03 am  Reply with quote

fn16ga wrote:
Can't wait to see it .

I'm thinking I might have it back by the end of next week. The dry winter air tends to keep the refinishing moving along.

I've been thinking about the checkering panels he's laid out. My original thoughts were to have more of a full wrap around coming to an extended point down the stock like a double. That would look great if the forearm likewise had a more extensive wrap-around pattern, but these guns have that series of parallelogram-shaped checkering panels, so adding what we are adding is in keeping with the gun.

Yesterday found me rabbit hunting with Black Belt and his fine beagles and all the time I was wishing I had my SW16! This time of the year I bundle up pretty good and we have some long walks to the thickets. I was thinking how nice it would be to have this light stick strapped over my back!
Black Belt
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:21 am  Reply with quote

These sweets are great for these long legged hunts! Too bad you got as much shooting as I did yesterday, Dave! These February bunnies are unpredictable at best; at least the dogs left no leaf unturned. So you remember that hunt we had two winters ago on the last day of the season in single digits when we were one bunny shy of a limit for four guys? That was some outstanding dog work! Any hunter who has ever hunted bunnies in harsh conditions could appreciate that! Your sweet with the straight stock will be perfect for your log days afield!
double vision
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 2:27 pm  Reply with quote

I've learned a lot about rabbit hunting from you, Jason. Late season bunnies can be tough like late season roosters, but dog work is always a joy.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:41 am  Reply with quote

Dum de de dum...

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/pmEsNjKKj] [/URL]
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:26 am  Reply with quote

GREAT
Let us know how it shoots and how YOU like it
Mike

double vision
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:13 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mike! That's the picture from the shop and my guy said the glare makes it look bad, but he has it perfect with all of the checkering on the gun recut.

I'll hopefully have it back yet this week and I'll supply some closeup photos.

He said it feels really good!
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Wow that really looks good Dave.
It looks like it would be a lot more comfortable to carry on the shoulder or over the wrist too.
double vision
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 5:20 pm  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
Wow that really looks good Dave.
It looks like it would be a lot more comfortable to carry on the shoulder or over the wrist too.

Thanks, Dave.

You nailed it. This is all about carry comfort. Form follows function. Any diehard bird hunter knows the value of, or the lack thereof carry-comfort, especially with a lightweight that lends itself to so many one-handed carry positions.
JNW
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:49 pm  Reply with quote

Browning just released a pile of new A5 Sweet 16s with a straight grip. They put upgraded wood on them and lowered the price because there is less work in making a straight grip. Going out the door for about $1100. Looks like you did this too soon, Dave. You could have saved a lot of time and money. Sorry I ever introduced you to Slim.
Jeff
double vision
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:00 am  Reply with quote

Jeff, that's almost funny... Wink

Seriously, Black Belt and I have talked about how it would be good if Browning did just that; release an Upland Special with either a straight or round knob grip and some sort of upgraded wood/receiver receiver (or not).

I've been keeping Slim busier since you turned me loose on him.