16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Sweet owners......... Question about
df
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:25 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
df wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
Lance Wells of Slim's Stock Shop in Lindstrom, MN. He also works on Parkers, M21's, etc.

Dave any chance you can post a pic of the grip.
And are you coming to the st paul 16 ga shoot, with this gun?

DF, I'll have it along at the 16 ga shoot in St. Paul.

Good, see you there.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:01 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Dave, your right about it's a matter of opinion, Had browning scaled the action to the 2 3/4 shell length they could have lightened the sweet a little more. Take a pic of the old sweet next to the new one. Quite a difference. Opinion aside, It's a nice gun and the extra length means you don't need the 28 inch barrel for sighting plane.

I agree that the 26" has more that enough sighting plane. I just want that smidge more weight out front. I'm hopeless with light "and" whippy shotguns, so I'll take the extra length every time. Like another poster said on another thread, I'd take a 30" if they offered one. The straight grip conversion took a couple oz. off my buttstock and mine is really swinging nicely, but it's also very fast with which to "get on." I'm very pleased with what I have!
Citori_16
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:31 pm  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
The sighting plane on these guns is 2 inches longer than the "old" sweets due to the longer receiver length. Therefore, the 26 is 33.5 inch sighting plane which is longer than most clays guns. IMO this is a design flaw in the new gun. A shorter action would look a lot better. Perhaps there is reason for the longer receiver? Any ideas?

3" 20 gauge coming using the same receiver.

That would be my guess.
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Citori 16, You may be correct. Poor excuse from browning for a screw up. It had to save them lots of $. Most people won't notice or care.

Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm  Reply with quote

I think question of receiver length can be answered but looking at the inner workings of the bolt itself. The bolt needs to travel rearward its own length so the action must be a minimum of the length of the bolt from battery times two but the "extra" length comes from the dual rods attached to the bolt that terminate in a conjoined ball and nestle into the action spring that resides in the butt stock. Without measuring or going and taking my new A5's apart and if memory serves me right, there is almost an extra inch needed to give these duel rods time to connect, so this will add extra length to the receiver as well. The original Auto 5's did not have the added action spring in the buttstock but relied upon the spring on the magazine tube to cycle the action forward.

Just my observations. I believe calling this a design flaw is a bit rash since the Beneli autos also have overly long actions to accommodate the needed hardware along with the bolt. Just two complete different designs between the new A5 and original Auto 5's. Browning doesn't claim they are the same, just the humped profile.
studdog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:37 pm  Reply with quote

Black Belt. I think your correct in your assessment of the reason for the longer action. Browning never said it was a clone of the old sweet. When I lay the old and new side by side I prefer the size of the old. However, the old gun weighed at least a pound more. Just for kicks I'll try calling browning and see what they say. Thanks for you input.

Black Belt
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:55 pm  Reply with quote

Studdog: how do you like your new sweet? Have you had much opportunity to shoot it?
studdog
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:57 am  Reply with quote

No I haven't shot it. Still winter here. I had extensive work done on it to make it fit me. LOP ,shortened length of grip, increased cast off, repaced front bead etc. I shoot the old one well. Might get to shoot it next week. I will bring it to Jeff's shoot.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:54 am  Reply with quote

Yes, not a flaw just different . I love my old A5s but the new SWT16 is a wonder gun also . I have shot mine alot and it being longer doesn't bother me a bit.

stubdog , keep an open mind and go out and give the new SWT16 a good workout , I think you will be pleasantly surprised . Just like I don't like the Citori's as much as I have tried, not everybody is going like the new SWT16 .
studdog
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:17 am  Reply with quote

Finally got to shoot the new "sweet" Shot great and my stock guy did a great job fitting the stock to me. Did have a few failure to cycle using 1165 FPS HERTERS loads. Will try lubing the action.

Black Belt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Studdog: glad you liked your new sweet; they are great guns! I think these new A5's benefit from some break in time with heavier loads. If you can shoot some 11/8oz loads or some snottier 1oz that would help make the 1oz loads a little more reliable. That said, I've had some individual 1oz loads from different makers that have been a little temperamental.
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:19 am  Reply with quote

Shot the new "sweet" again after a good cleaning. Functioned flawlessly with Herters light load. It really is a nice handling shotgun. I love the "auto load" feature. It will be a great all around upland gun. I ordered a skeet choke from Browning. The IC patterns nicely. FWIW

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:07 am  Reply with quote

studdog wrote:
Shot the new "sweet" again after a good cleaning. Functioned flawlessly with Herters light load. It really is a nice handling shotgun. I love the "auto load" feature. It will be a great all around upland gun. I ordered a skeet choke from Browning. The IC patterns nicely. FWIW

Glad you are warming up to yours, George. They make the old Auto-5 "Sweet Sixteens" feel pretty doggy and outdated. Looking forward to turning mine loose on grouse and pheasants.
studdog
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:57 am  Reply with quote

I don't know Dave my old sweet shoots great! I'll like carrying the new one since it's a pound lighter.

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 am  Reply with quote

I owned two of the Belgian 50's era Sweet Sixteens and I never did shoot them very well. Neat old guns, but handsome is as handsome does; my old Remington M11-16 shot much better for me and ousted both Belgian SW16's. Now I'm getting to an age where I appreciate guns a pound lighter (as long as they are easy shooters). This new SW16 is a full pound and a half lighter than my ol' M11 humpback, and 1 pound+ lighter than my two Belgian SW16's. So far it's been an easy shooter for myself and everyone I've talked to who owns one.

Last edited by double vision on Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total