16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Cabelas in Maine
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:05 pm  Reply with quote

Just heard on the local news this morning, that Cabelas finally worked out whatever they had to work out with the State of Maine and will be opening a store near Portland!

In this State of high taxes, infamous for being business unfriendly, I'm thankful they're coming; maybe it will increase the likelyhood of some "on sale" 16ga shells and the occaisional 16ga in the used gun rack to look at.

Also, though I've had limited success in getting shells from them, Dick's is opening a store a few miles from my house... one never knows, maybe they'll start stocking 16ga dependably some day.

As an aside, a non-16gauge owner mentioned to me that "the 16 gauge sure is getting popular again; starting to hear a lot about them". (Maybe the ads are working? Wink )

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

do you ever get down to KTP?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:31 pm  Reply with quote

While I was looking through the sparse supply of 16g loads at the Glendale store this am (they did have Gamebore 2 1/2" in 16 and 20 but NO Golden Pheasant in 16) a nice gentleman employee asked if I needed any help. Told him I was looking at the 16s and he said 'Hardly anyone uses those anymore.' I just smiled but he added 'I had a 16 once, great gun.' At least I got him thinking Very Happy

Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:22 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
do you ever get down to KTP?

16gg,

Every once in a while, but it's a bit of a cruise from Harpswell. It's about an hour and a half drive. It is a nice place to kick around in though a lot of their guns on the floor are pretty shabby. I hear they keep the nicer stuff behind the counter?

Quote:
looking through the sparse supply of 16g loads at the Glendale store

Rev,

Even if they only carry the bare minimum, maybe it will spur Bean's into being a little more competitive. Bean's has been resting on its laurels for entirely too long....unless of course you're into lycra bicycle shorts and sweaters which they seem to be trying to corner the market on! (not that there's anything wrong with that Laughing )

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:43 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
Just heard on the local news this morning, that Cabelas finally worked out whatever they had to work out with the State of Maine and will be opening a store near Portland!

Perhaps its similar to the deal they made in Idaho: they don't have to charge sales tax on catalog orders shipped to Idaho residents, unlike other retailers in the state.

As far as 16ga shells being on sale. Might as well forget about that. They don't have anything to put on sale. I was at the store in Boise today and they have a horrible selection when it comes to shotgun shells in general. I don't really recall any steel shot at all. And the rest I wouldn't be too proud of.

In regards to 16ga, Fiocchi Golden pheasant @ $13.00 and some Gamebore 6's @ $23.00/box.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Perhaps its similar to the deal they made in Idaho: they don't have to charge sales tax on catalog orders shipped to Idaho residents, unlike other retailers in the state.

Yes but, I just bought a gun from Cabela's in Idaho, over the net. They said they had to charge me tax, because they had a store in Michigan. Ya think someone is pulling a quickie?
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:19 pm  Reply with quote

"Gamebore 6's @ $23.00/box" Shocked Shocked
They were $8 something in Glendale Question
And they must have had 30 feet of 5' shelving for shells (not counting another 30 feet for case lots) BUT about 1 foot for 16s Confused
BTW: Sportsman's Warehouse has a better selection.

nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:24 pm  Reply with quote

Dave:

The reason they give for not having to charge sales tax on catalog orders is that the catalog business and the stores are two separate corporations. So shipping from a store to a state that has a store is taxed. I am almost positive if you look on the Gun Library site that it does mention this.
wildweasel
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

Last time I made the Cabela's pilgrimage to PA, the cheapest 16s they had were estate game loads for 52 bucks a flat. That's what the sign said...I never could actually locate the flat.
87016ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:56 pm  Reply with quote

i have found cabela's to be an impressive eye candy type of store.
generally speaking, buying something from them involves paying a premium for your viewing pleasure.
go sportsmans warehouse......yeah!!!!!!!
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:07 pm  Reply with quote

You guys aren't exactly putting any sunny spots on my parade, are you? Sad

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
nutcase
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:32 pm  Reply with quote

As 87016ga refers to above and I have in response to a previous post Cabela's is as much a tourist trap as it is an outdoors/sporting goods store.

Pretty soon they won't be such a novelty. They're opening stores left and right. Part of being a publicly traded company. Have to grow,grow,grow to keep Wall Street happy. At some point the deals might materialize in order to keep sales growing.

Either way the sun will rise in the east and set in the west. And you'll see it before the rest of us over there in Maine. Smile
MGF
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:41 pm  Reply with quote

Ah, what the hey ... even if Cabela's selection of 16 ga. shells is no great thrill, it's another place to look at guns, boots, coats, etc. As far as I'm concerned, the more selection and the more competition, the better.

I guess the 16 ga. shell prices and selection where I live aren't great but aren't horrible either. Mention of those Gamebores at $23 made my eyes pop. For hunting, I can find semi-decent prices on Federal's Game Shok and Wing Shok in NW Indiana, which is handy as I live 5 minutes from the Illinois/Indiana border. For skeet, I pick up Rem or Win game loads for $5.49 at Meijer store about 20 minutes drive from my place.

So far, I've bought my 16 ga hunting loads at a Gander Mountain in Merrillville, Ind. There's a Bass Pro Shops to open in Portage, Ind., in 2007, a Dick's coming to Schererville, Ind., fairly soon, and a Cabela's to open in Hammond, Ind., in 2008.

All in all, I'd expect the 16 ga selection near me is likely to improve at least a little. So I'm mildly pleased.
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:02 pm  Reply with quote

The Connonwealth of Pennsylvania ponied up over $25 million to lure Cabelas to Hamburg. I was thrilled at the time. Now, the "in" saying would be, "not so much." In fact, cause they screwed me on a Namibian plains game safari, I have closed my account with them and been taken off their mailing list. They can go to hades for all I care.

Some have said you won't find any bargains there; even in the Bargain Cave, but they make up for it with a great selection. Horse hockey! They stock gunpowder, but not VhitaVuori brand. They stock Igloo coolers, but not the replacement parts. If you're into offshore fishing, don't expect to find 7\0 Gamakatsu live bait hooks. And the answer to my query, "Are you just temporarily out of stock or don't you ever carry this item?" is always NEVER.

Cabelas? America's Outfitter? Phooey!!! I wish they could airlift the Hamburg store up to Maine. It would relive some of the traffic congestion.
TJC
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:15 pm  Reply with quote

wildweasel wrote:
Last time I made the Cabela's pilgrimage to PA, the cheapest 16s they had were estate game loads for 52 bucks a flat. That's what the sign said...I never could actually locate the flat.

I found 2 of those flats at that price and left them there.

Best prices on 16ga Game Loads/Remmy's has been at Dick's and Bass Pro Shop. BPS in Harrisburg seems to stock quite a bit of the 16 ga ammo. All of the size shot too. Very Happy