16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Ruffed Grouse hunting - Michigan
Bonasa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

I hunt weekends in NE lower penninsula of Michigan. The 10 year cycle appears to be on the upswing. The coverts feel less empty than they have in recent years. I hunt with an ES and GSP and sxs guns. My hunting buddy has been too busy with family the past few seasons to get out with me, so I mostly hunt alone. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who hunts my region and might like to hook up for a hunt.

Grousen
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Bonasa,
Ouch, this one hurts. The last two years I took my Brit up to the UP, and didn't do too well. So this year we went to the Allegheny Mountains in NW Pennsylvania. After again not seeing many birds I was thinking of Wisconsin next year. I would really like to get my Brit into some grouse before she and I are too old to remember what we're doing out in the woods!
In fact two years ago, upon arriving in Munising I stopped at the US Forestry Service to pick up some maps. I was told that I should have called before driving up because no one was seeing any birds, and that it was the worst in memory. I thought, what the heck?
I won't get any more time off work until next year, and the distance doesn't work for a weekend hunt. I would love to hook up with you next year though. I hope you keep me in mind, and thank you for your generous post.
Have a safe and fun season.

Regards,
Grousen
Bonasa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:23 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Grousen,
Thanks for the reply. I would expect next year to be excellent, since 1998 was at or near peak. Contact me if you are able get away.
Kind regards,
Bonasa

timberdoodle16
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to hear your hunting is good. The grouse are on the upswing here in upstate NY as well. Today my ES went on a double point. 2 grouse flew out and I had a great chance at the one that swerved to my left. Everything felt perfect, but somebody stuck a small tree in the way! Cut quite a large chunk out of it! I wholeheartedly agree about the ES too!
Bonasa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:07 pm  Reply with quote

Hello Timberdoodle16,
Anybody could shoot em in the open - right?? Except me... I have myself so trained to ignore trees, I think I shoot better in cover than in the open, where I have time to make a mistake. Good news that your seeing more birds in the NorthEast as well. Hope you and your ES have a great season together.
Bonasa

old16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:43 am  Reply with quote

Bonasa wrote:
I hunt weekends in NE lower penninsula of Michigan. The 10 year cycle appears to be on the upswing. The coverts feel less empty than they have in recent years. I hunt with an ES and GSP and sxs guns. My hunting buddy has been too busy with family the past few seasons to get out with me, so I mostly hunt alone. Just wondering if there is anyone out there who hunts my region and might like to hook up for a hunt.

Bonasa
I hunt the lower part of Michigan after the first couple of weeks opening.
The first part of the season I usually hunt the upper part, however this year I have not had the chance to go to the UP. Where are you at. I would be interested in comming up. I live in the Northern central part if Indiana so a couple of hrs. drive is nothing for me to get a little Grouse hunting in. I hunt with sxs 16 also. Old 16

Ken
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:13 am  Reply with quote

I just came back from the UP. There were 5 of us hunting for a week. I belive the final taly was 187 flushes. 115 Grouse and the balance being Woodcocks. I got 3 of each.

This was my first trip to the UP. Being from Pa I have never seen so many Grouse. Unforunly we got very few points.
AYA16
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:00 am  Reply with quote

Bonasa -

I hunt a lot in Michigan and find the grouse numbers to be spotty. Down near Big Rapids, I am not seeing many birds at all, but north of Mesick things have been great. Last Saturday, six of us split into two groups with each group hunting behind an English Setter. My group had 28 flushes while the other group had 31! Obviously, some of the finds were reflushes, but you do not get many days better than that.
Dave Miles
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I'll be spending the next 4 days in the Glennie area, chasing the elusive grouse. I'll let you guys know how I did upon my return. Never been to this area, but scouting is half the fun. Wink There will be four of us, with 3 Setters and one of those short haired dogs, with the stubby tail. We'll all be carrying Parkers, in the 16 gauge varity, so it should be fun.
Bonasa
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:55 pm  Reply with quote

Hi Dave M.,
How did you make out in the Glennie area? I hunted near there this weekend. Weather was poor. Moved a few birds. Took three mudbats and a brace of Grouse. My ES liked your jab. My GSP is not sure he likes you...

Dave Miles
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:35 am  Reply with quote

Bonasa,
I hunted one spot in Lake Co. on my way up Friday. Moved one grouse, killed 2 woodcock. Sat three of us hunted northeast of Glennie. Moved 4 grouse, 2 shots, no kills. Moved about 12 woodcock, killed 5 I think. Real windy and rain in the afternoon. Sunday noved down around Gladwin. No grouse, moved another 5 or 6 woodcock, and killed 2. Still real windy. I was a complete virgin to these areas. We found some really nice coverts, but I think they've been hunted pretty hard the last 6 weeks. I will check these spots out earlier next year, and go armed with a plat book. We had a great time, and dogs got a good workout. What else can you ask for. Very Happy
JTM
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Just got back from a two week hunt for gouse and woodcock around Luzerne. We flushed a noticeable increase in number of grouse from last year which is a good sign. We missed the woodcock. The local birds must have already headed South and the Canadian birds had not arrived.
Most probably, if I could have been party to their schedule, I would find that they had planned to arrive the day after we left.

But, as always, it was good to be in the woods. Weather was cool and windy....hunted in the snow a couple of days. My mostly white Britt was VERY hard to see. Being from Florida, this was a new experience for both of us.