16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  dehaan over/under's
87016ga
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:48 am  Reply with quote

i'm considering a dehaan u1 o/u as a replacement for the wingmaster.
any opinions, comments, and general first hand knowledge of these will be appreciated.

i'm also giving thought to his side by side models, of which i have had a chance to shoot before, but i don't believe i have ever seen his o/u's.

help me spend my money, the 870 has been gone almost a week, and i'm going thru 16ga withdrawl. Embarassed
22-250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:17 am  Reply with quote

87016ga wrote:
i'm considering a dehaan u1 o/u as a replacement for the wingmaster.
any opinions, comments, and general first hand knowledge of these will be appreciated.

i'm also giving thought to his side by side models, of which i have had a chance to shoot before, but i don't believe i have ever seen his o/u's.

help me spend my money, the 870 has been gone almost a week, and i'm going thru 16ga withdrawl. Embarassed

I bought one about 8 months ago and I shoot it well. I 've put about 3000 rounds through it and no problems at all. Points great and balanced nice. Workmanship is good also for the price. The only thing I do not care for right now is it has a heavier trigger pull than my other guns.

4 months ago I had a dog bite my hand and hit the middle knuckle on on my trigger finger, it got a bad infection and the tendon was damaged. Evil or Very Mad Ended up having surgery on it and I am still going through physical theraphy now. I tried shooting it a couple of weeks ago and my finger is still not well enough to shoot it as well as I did before. Sad

One thing I can tell you is that when we teach our womens shotgun classes most of the "girls" shoot it really well especially with the 3/4-7/8 oz loads. I've had several threaten to steal it. The one funny thing is, one of the other instructors is a superb shotgun shot and he cannot hit worth a darn with it. Ends up the students hit better with it than he does, drives him nuts. Of course we would not tease him about it. Twisted Evil He's one of "if it's not a 12 ga, it's not a shotgun" mentality.

All in all, I have not one regret on purchasing it. I'm trying to get my finger better soon and try the gun in the field.
clayflingythingy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:24 am  Reply with quote

Based on personal knowledge of Huglu shotguns when imported by Armsco I would not buy one. I suggest you do two things:

1) Cruise shotgunworld.com and search out topics on Huglu/CZ/DeHaan

2) Check out the offerings by CZ since they are the same gun. IIRC, CZ has a better warranty.

Reports on the CZ/DeHaan guns are decidely mixed. Some have had nothing but trouble while others swear they are great guns. Do your research and come to a decision.
old16
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:16 am  Reply with quote

Try Kalispel Case Line.com this place has some new 16's made on there respected frames. Prices are not out of line.

Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:23 am  Reply with quote

22-250 wrote:
One thing I can tell you is that when we teach our womens shotgun classes most of the "girls" shoot it really well especially with the 3/4-7/8 oz loads. I've had several threaten to steal it. The one funny thing is, one of the other instructors is a superb shotgun shot and he cannot hit worth a darn with it. Ends up the students hit better with it than he does, drives him nuts. Of course we would not tease him about it. Twisted Evil He's one of "if it's not a 12 ga, it's not a shotgun" mentality.

By any chance, is this guy a dyed-in-the-wool trap shooter? Smile

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
22-250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:00 am  Reply with quote

By any chance, is this guy a dyed-in-the-wool trap shooter? Smile

Pete[/quote]

Yep, you hit it right on the head. Laughing He used to shoot competition trap for 30+ years and was darn good at it. Something plays with his mind when he gets a 16 ga in his hand. His daughters tease him more about it than I do, of course they shoot it better than he does. Smile
Foursquare
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:15 am  Reply with quote

That was a guess based on my experience that serious trap shooters are programmed to shoot in a certain way. I.E. they "lock in" to the stock, the nature of trap doesn't require them to make any lateral movements, so they can get away with rifle shooting. But, present them with crossing targets and a gun intended to move fluidly, and they resemble a fish out of water. Smile
Modern trap (as opposed to live pigeon shoots) is negative training for most field shooting.

Pete (donning Nomex suit)

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:50 am  Reply with quote

In my considered opinion, I would be very hesitant to assume that a solid trap shooter-any solid trap shooter- is programmed only to shoot trap. He just might eat your lunch given the incentive, the opportunity, and a gun that fits him fairly well.

I'm not posting this to pick a fight with anyone, but out of respect for any shotgunner from any venue of shotgunning who has made the effort and spent the time and money to master his or her game.

Kay Ohye, perhaps the greatest trap shooter alive today, was also one of the best skeet shooters ever. He is absolutely deadly with a shotgun. His daughter Debora, is perhaps as good as her dad. I've seen both of these shooters in action. It is nothing less than spectacular.

Any solid trap shooter must also have the skill to consistantly hit lateral targets. Try breaking solid doubles scores without that skill and you will fail miserably. This is very true for a large number of excellent trap shooters I personally know and have shot with on the circuit.

At nearly every club I've ever belonged to, its been a top trap shooter who has also consistantly won any of the various "all around" shotgunner competitions these clubs have held. These folks can just plain shoot the pants off most other folks when it counts.

I am a class A trap shooter who borders now on AA averages. I've posted several 100 straight singles, many 95 and up handicap scores, and now, mid 90 doubles scores. I also can shoot a good game of low gun or high gun skeet. I also can hold my own in 5 stand and sporting clays. I'm also a solid wingshot on upland birds as well as pass shooting on waterfowl.

I'm nothing special. Most of the solid trap shooters I know can shoot any game well. Given a bit of time to orient themselves, they can adapt to any style shotgunning there is. So it is with anyone who'se mastered one particular wingshooting game, regardless of the game.

The skills which must be be mastered to shoot top scores in any shotgun game are basic to any style of shotgunning. Seeing the target quickly and clearly, mounting the gun in a consistantly correct manner so it points exactly where you are focusing your eyes, focusing your entire mind on the target, smoothly swinging through the target, triggering the shot at exactly the right moment, and following through is how it is done-- by you, by me, by anyone.

Give this excellent trap shooter a 16 ga. gun that fits him fairly well, a couple of boxes of shells, plus some incentive to succeed, and I'll bet he'll be crushing those targets in no time. I've yet to see this fail. I would be very careful about assuming too much about programmed shooters. In my opinion and experience, its a myth.
22-250
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:50 pm  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:
In my considered opinion, I would be very hesitant to assume that a solid trap shooter-any solid trap shooter- is programmed only to shoot trap. He just might eat your lunch given the incentive, the opportunity, and a gun that fits him fairly well.

I'm not posting this to pick a fight with anyone, but out of respect for any shotgunner from any venue of shotgunning who has made the effort and spent the time and money to master his or her game.

Kay Ohye, perhaps the greatest trap shooter alive today, was also one of the best skeet shooters ever. He is absolutely deadly with a shotgun. His daughter Debora, is perhaps as good as her dad. I've seen both of these shooters in action. It is nothing less than spectacular.

Any solid trap shooter must also have the skill to consistantly hit lateral targets. Try breaking solid doubles scores without that skill and you will fail miserably. This is very true for a large number of excellent trap shooters I personally know and have shot with on the circuit.

At nearly every club I've ever belonged to, its been a top trap shooter who has also consistantly won any of the various "all around" shotgunner competitions these clubs have held. These folks can just plain shoot the pants off most other folks when it counts.

I am a class A trap shooter who borders now on AA averages. I've posted several 100 straight singles, many 95 and up handicap scores, and now, mid 90 doubles scores. I also can shoot a good game of low gun or high gun skeet. I also can hold my own in 5 stand and sporting clays. I'm also a solid wingshot on upland birds as well as pass shooting on waterfowl.

I'm nothing special. Most of the solid trap shooters I know can shoot any game well. Given a bit of time to orient themselves, they can adapt to any style shotgunning there is. So it is with anyone who'se mastered one particular wingshooting game, regardless of the game.

The skills which must be be mastered to shoot top scores in any shotgun game are basic to any style of shotgunning. Seeing the target quickly and clearly, mounting the gun in a consistantly correct manner so it points exactly where you are focusing your eyes, focusing your entire mind on the target, smoothly swinging through the target, triggering the shot at exactly the right moment, and following through is how it is done-- by you, by me, by anyone.

Give this excellent trap shooter a 16 ga. gun that fits him fairly well, a couple of boxes of shells, plus some incentive to succeed, and I'll bet he'll be crushing those targets in no time. I've yet to see this fail. I would be very careful about assuming too much about programmed shooters. In my opinion and experience, its a myth.

16gg I believe your are correct. This old boy can shoot clays avg abt 44-47 out of fifty with a trap chokes no less and much better than that with i/c chokes and also he ain't no slouch on skeet either.

This is a man who can sit in a chair and hold the gun off to the side and let children 4 to 7 years old pull the trigger when he says "shoot" and break targets in the 90-95% range. As I said earlier there is something in his mind about 16 guage that makes him screw up. He shoots my mod 12's & mod 11's fair to good but the Dehaan just shuts him down. He told me he's going to throw it in the creek, it really bugs him. Twisted Evil I think there is something about the fit/weight of that particular gun that just is not right for him. He just can't understand why I've got so many 16's. Wink

A lot of the females really do like to shoot the 16's and want to buy them for their first shotgun. We have to explain to them if they or their husbands do not reload, it's not practical to buy one because of the inavailabilty of a wide range of loads that are sold "at the present". This is another thing that bugs him, they want 16's and he's 12 ga man. Laughing And their have been two so far that bought them anyway Cool
Robert
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:53 pm  Reply with quote

There are guns I can't shoot worth peanuts too. Any of the doubles with a lot of drop are impossible for me to hit with. I used to think it was doubles in general until I got a late issue (1961) AyA Matador with a modern stock layout. I can hit anything flying with it. Same for my Beretta 409, my Bernadelli 28, and my CZ .410 Ringneck. They all fit fine. Drop to comb and heel are about the same for all of them. Same thing for most modern shotguns. You can blame Larry Brown for this latest gun buying binge I'm on, him and his incessent nattering about double guns--thanks Larry, I needed the excuse. Laughing

Getting back on topic about Huglu guns, I love that little.410 Ringneck--so much that I just bought its bigger 28 ga brother. I was waiting for a good price on a 28" barreled number and found it. If I did not have two fine 16 ga doubles already, I'd get another Ringneck in 16. I'm also on board with the stick to the CZ line of thought too based on my limited experience so far. however, I;m told Mark DeHaan backs his guns to the hilt too. So that line id probably another safe bet.

However, twern't always so with the Huglu line. Some of their earlier guns were not too good IMO. I've seen some real wrongos come and go. Bad triggers that won't set for #2, or will occasionally double, or barrels that shoot to two different points about 2 feet apart at 30 yards, stocks that aren't well fitted, forends that are too tight or too loose, and some of the most garrish styling any purple hatted pimp could want. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I guess Huglu used to make guns for any level of quality depending on the contract specs ordered by the importer/buyer. CZ and DeHaan demand consistant quality and more tastefully appointed guns so it seems. And that is what makes all the difference. I'd say go get one of these newer, better guns before the prices go up--way up.

Remember, there was a time Browning could hardly give a Citori away. That time did not last long. Try buying one cheap now. Good consistant quality tells--and sells. 'Nuff said! Go get a CZ or DeHaan Huglu and shoot the hell out of it.That's where the fun is.
Engstfeld
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:20 am  Reply with quote

I recently bought a DeHaan 16 ga SO double. Haven't shot it a lot, but the little shooting I have done thru it leaves me with a very good impression. On my last hunt, the doves weren't really plentiful, but I shot a half of a limit with twelve shells. The gun swings really well.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:54 am  Reply with quote

And there you go. Shoot it in good health and enjoy it. thats what good guns are for.
USAFA 71
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:54 am  Reply with quote

I have two DeHaans, one a 28 ga O/U(SGr) and the 20 ga S-2. Both have left-hand stocks, and I shoot them as well, or better, than any shotgun I have ever had. It is amazing what stock fit will do for your shooting!

I only have about 1000 rds through the 28 ga, and less through the 20 ga. I had a minor problem with the 28, but Mark fixed it with no problems.

You will find many on the internet will bad-mouth the DeHaan because it is made by Huglu, as are the CZs. The difference is that the guns made for DeHaan are made to his specifications and are not the same guns that you get from CZ. Mark inspects each of his guns before they are sent out.

There are those who have gotten a "lemon" from Mark, even though he does inspect them first. I don't know how many guns Mark sends out, but I imagine that some will slip by with problems that maybe shouldn't have been sent out. Ever have a new car with problems? How about any other gun you have bought? Know anyone who bought a Ruger/Browning/Beretta/any other gun that had problems out of the box?
The difference is how the manufacturer/dealer handles these problems.
Mark has the best customer service in the business.

While it would be nice if his warranty was five years like CZ instead of the two years, it appears that with the CZ, you might need the extra time.

Compare his "risk-free guarantee" to anyone elses. If you don't like the gun, return it unfired within 7 days and get your money back, minus shipping. Compare that to Beretta/Browning/etc.

I am not trying to bash Beretta/Browning/etc. I have several Berettas and Brownings, and I really like them also. But I am getting tired of all the negative comments on the DeHaans, usually from those who have never had one, or whose expectations were unreasonable and who would have been unhappy with any gun. For the money, the DeHaan is one of the best shotguns on the market. If you want to compare it to a Perazzi/Merkel, etc. be my guest, but look at the difference in price first.

With the 20 ga SxS and 28 ga O/U that I have, I am now just waiting for a left-hand 16 ga to complete my shotgun inventory. I may just have to save for another SGr, but I will add another 16 ga to go with my Stevens 5100, and it will be a DeHaan!
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I'm beginning to suspect that most folks who bash them just go by here say and have never handled or shot one. Either that, or they are basing their opinions on some of the earlier, Pre-DeeHan/CZ Huglu guns.

As for CZ guns being made any less well, I seriously doubt it. They both are made on the same assembly line to the same specs from everything I can gather. The CZ guns may not get the individual and personal attention credited to the DeHann line. However, I'm willing to bet the contract for them is much bigger and therefore more important financiallly to Huglu. CZ has a fine international reputation to protect. I doubt they would take kindly to Huglu making junk in their name. I'll reserve judgement until CZ America sets a track record for service and repairs.

Like any maker, Huglu will have good lots and some not so good. So does every other maker. The difference is how the domestic importer or gun house handles the guns with problems. I like the Citori line, because Browning backs them up better than most any other company. If DeHaan and CZ America do the same, their products will grow in popularity and esteem too. If not, the line will die out like all the others that have been orphaned by the importers who sold them to the dealers without plans to properly service the warrenty claims. Time will tell. However, so far, so good.
MGF
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:24 pm  Reply with quote

I've added a DeHaan SxS to the list of possibilities for next year's gun purchase, pretty much because of Mark DeHaan's rep for customer service. Right now, it's more or less between an AOC game gun and one of DeHaan's Sgr series. Either way, I might get choke tubes installed, as I'd like the gun to do a little bit of casual skeet duty.