16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Model 37 ejector issues
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Picked up an Ithaca 37 a couple weeks ago. Finally got to shoot it this evening. Factory Federal, RST and Herter's all stick in the chamber. Reloaded / resized Federals, Herter's and Fiocchi's still stick, RST's come out w/ much effort.

The only thing it will cycle are compression formed Winchester reloads, and it'll throw them 15'.

Just venting I guess......

Perhaps will try some RGLs, gave away all my black hulls a couple years ago.

Just venting.......
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

This issue comes up often with older pumps and steel headed shells. There are two possible fixes for the M37: 1) polishing the chamber with a fine brake cylinder hone or brass chamber brush covered with fine steel wool and driven by an electric drill. Both hone and brush should be lubricated. 2) the extractor slots need to be re-cut. Les Hovencamp of Diamond Gunsmithing is the pro to go to. He was head smith at the old Ithaca in NY. He got two of mine going again. Gil
Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:35 pm  Reply with quote

Gil beat me by 4 minutes!
CF Winchester has a brass head, everything else is plated steel. 37's can sometimes be difficult with steel stuff but a good chamber polishing may fix it. It may also have worn extractors, but Brownell's stocks them, and they are not difficult to change. My 1941 vintage 37R had the same issue and new extractors fixed it. Nothing sticks now.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:50 pm  Reply with quote

Roadkill, have you verified with a magnet the CF"s? I was under the impression that everyone uses steel heads--some are brass washed. I bought a Remington Super Mag for steel shot. It couldn't handle RGL's (go figure) but did fine with Win. promos. Gil
Roadkill
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:32 pm  Reply with quote

Gil, I just now tested some of mine with a magnet - with surprising results.
I have a lot of the old 'high-brass' Super-X and Superspeed 16's, I had tested them before, and they are indeed brass. However - some of the standard 'lo-brass' CF stuff are steel and some are brass.
Added - after checking a lot more, the ones headstamped "Winchester" above and '16ga' below the primer are all brass-washed steel. The ones with "Winchester" above and "Western" below the primer are all brass.
Some must have been contracted out.
One would think that they would all be the same.
These are all older CF, no modern ones.
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:34 pm  Reply with quote

Are the notch's in the barrel and receiver for the extractors lined up exactly? If not,loosen the yoke and rotate slightly until the are. This will very possibly solve your problem. Be very careful when retightening the yoke not to move it reward to much or it will interfere with the slide.
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:05 am  Reply with quote

To see where the case head is binding color the head with black marker. Fire the shell and cycle it out of the chamber. where the black is gone is where the head is hanging up. Polish the chamber from there back to the breach. Be sure to check the rim of the hull, I had a 37 that did not like reloads that had been sized with a ring type die. The rim would enlarge just enough to bind opposite the extractor claw

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Tom Shaffer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:34 am  Reply with quote

Very good information, Thank You all.
osborne
PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 8:51 am  Reply with quote

Hello,

I had this issue as well... mostly Herters factory loads would be stuck.

I use a Spolar reloader, and checked the tolerances on the reloader. According to SAAMI specs, if I read it right... the chamber for 16 ga is .7450 (18.923) and the cartridge is .7440-.0090. This leaves one thousandth difference, which seems tight. The reloader resizing was correct.

Someone correct me, of course, if my math is wrong here, or if I have quoted bad numbers.

What I ended up doing is using a resizer on all hulls before I put them in the reloader, which adds a step, but they work every time. I resize them to .73.

I also use the Claybuster 1 ounce wad (I did extensive testing with the Claybuster 7/8 oz wad too), with a 2 9/16"/65mm hull (trimmed), and it works out great.

Now if I could just get some decent hulls. The best I have found are the Cheddite, which I don't like.

Perhaps I'll return to the Federals...

Good luck!

P.S. I am going to lightly ream out a bit of the barrels too (I have 2 of them)