16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Citori Feather Choke for Turkeys
fourtown
PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:01 pm  Reply with quote

My wonderful wife earned a NIB Feather for another year of putting up with me and my foibles. I think it an early 2000's model.

It came with the standard flush chokes. We are turkey hunting in 3 weeks. I haven't patterned it at all. Any suggestions? She will probably use a one oz of sixes, maybe bismuth. That feather has a pad, but we don't want much recoil. She won't shoot beyond much beyond 25 yards.

Or should I just try steel 4's in the basic chokes? I don't reload.

Ideas? Thanks
fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:55 am  Reply with quote

If she will limit her shots to no more than 30 yards and you want to use no more than 1oz shot . I would go with # 7 1/2s lead ( skip all the nontox stuff )to keep the pellet count up . I would try the Factory full first and see how it patterns . Trulock makes a extra full ( .630 ) and turkey chokes (.610 ) for that gun if you need them .
irishwhiskey
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:05 am  Reply with quote

I have an extra - unused set made by Trulock. Ordered them by mistake at NWTF convention.
Have the "TURKEY" and "IM" combo. Be glad to sell for what I paid.

df
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:44 pm  Reply with quote

In my view, the need for fancy, extended, titanium, ported and other upgrades for turkeychokes, is more of a marketing plan than an enhancement in performance. I have shot a few turkeys with a 12 ga, mod choke, and 1 1/4 ounces of #5 or #6 shot. They were about 30 yards and died on the spot.
In your 16 citori, I think a full would be best, but a mod probably would work fine. I would shoot 1 1/8 ounces of #6 lead.
Good luck.
67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Mod choke on top and full on the bottom. No need for special turkey chokes at that range at all. Lead #5's in 2 3/4" will more than kill them. It's all I use anymore. The one I killed with my fox was at 41 yards with the mod barrel
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:52 pm  Reply with quote

67galaxie wrote:
Mod choke on top and full on the bottom. No need for special turkey chokes at that range at all. Lead #5's in 2 3/4" will more than kill them. It's all I use anymore. The one I killed with my fox was at 41 yards with the mod barrel

Blasphemy! Turkeys can no longer be killed with a pip-squeak 2 3/4" load. The modern turkey hunter needs to carry a shotgun that generates the equivalent recoil as a dangerous game rifle to take down a 20lb gobbler. Wink

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Charlie16ga
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:58 pm  Reply with quote

I've been using a BPS with the Trulock .610 turkey choke the last few years with great success, however, that has included loading my own #6 1-1/4 oz buffered load at lower FPS. I was not impressed with larger shot in the same load or high velocity 1-1/4 oz products like some older Winchester I had or those expensive federal loads.

02' Rem 870 Exp
53' Rem 870 Wing
53' Mar 90 DT
50' Mar 90 DT
47' Rem 31L
46' Win 12 (2)
33' Rem 31
67galaxie
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

Upland Carpenter wrote:
67galaxie wrote:

Blasphemy! Turkeys can no longer be killed with a pip-squeak 2 3/4" load. The modern turkey hunter needs to carry a shotgun that generates the equivalent recoil as a dangerous game rifle to take down a 20lb gobbler. Wink
Very Happy Very Happy
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Had I seen this topic earlier, I would have suggested 7.5's in a modified barrel for shots to 20 yards and sixes in a full choke past that. Reno

jon math
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:01 am  Reply with quote

I used a 20 gauge on turkey for years, but recently have switched to a 16 gauge Winchester 1200. Mine is in natural wood and blued steel too. All this hype about triple coated Hevi-shot 3-1/2" shells through "secret" chokes so tight the pattern is baseball diameter sized at 40 yards, and camouflaged muzzle to butt guns are just a way to separate people from their money. I shoot plated #5’s through an IM choke. Birds typically go down like they were struck by lightning.

16 GA Stevens 235
16 GA Stevens 107-B
16 GA Winchester 1200
16 GA Remington 11-48
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:43 am  Reply with quote

I use a factory full in my single barrel rainy day/mountain hunting plastic gun. Tight enough for a load of 6's to do the job to forty yards, provided there are no saplings to murder on the way. Reno

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:33 am  Reply with quote

Call em in close, 20-30 yards, or less.
Mod is fine, center pattern midway, between the top of the head and the breast. They are Turkey's, they are not bullet proof!
I generally use #5's but there are Members here, that consistently kill them with hand loaded #12's.
Have a great hunt! Cool
Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 8:53 am  Reply with quote

If the sky were blue and turkeys behaved as I deem worthy, all gobblers would be 20-30 yards away and I'd have a mod choked barrel and a load of sixes. That's why I firmly believe that two pipes and different chokes/ loads are superior to a single barrel. My single barrel is outfitted with a full choke and my two pipe options are mod and full. As I've done it enough times to shamefully admit it, I've missed ten yard birds with a modified choke. Go figure them apples. Scouting, trout fishing, and morel hunting today. Reno