16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Bending
Little Creek
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:10 am  Reply with quote

I have had three gunstocks bent using an Orlen type jig. Two of them took only a slight bend, one of them after three attempts! They started out at about 2-3/4" drop and ended up at about 2-9/16".

There also may be consequences to bending, like small cracks where the tangs reposition at their ends, or in the case of a side bend, along the edges. This can affect the wood.

I had one modern gun bent successfully, changing a bit more than 1/4".

I think it may be easier to bend a straight hand stock than one with a pistol grip.

Good luck!
studdog
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:28 am  Reply with quote

Stock bending is a real art. From talking with people who know, Every stock is different as well as woods are different. It is sometimes a gamble if a stock will take the desired bend. That's why you should use an expert.

gunsrus
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

I've had several stocks professionally bent. One was a very marble caked beauty that I thought would never bend . It took a bend over 1/2'' with ease . I've had straight grain Fox A Grade stocks that wouldn't bend at all . Go figure .
lbrown
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 am  Reply with quote

Re the Fox not taking a bend: I'm far from an expert in the area, never having had a stock bent. But it's my understanding that European walnut tends to bend better than American walnut. That may have been the issue with the Fox.
Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:39 am  Reply with quote

My experience has been that cast is much easier to obtain through bending than changes in drop, especially on the semi-pistol grip or open pistol grip stocks I prefer, The most drop I've been able to get is 1/8", with most stocks only allowing around 1/16". I try to only purchase SXS's with 1 1/2" DAC and 2 1/4" DAH for this reason and it has worked out that only minor changes in drop have been required on a few guns.My cast off requirement is right at 3/8" on most of my 16 ga guns, with the 28 ga guns usually requiring around 5/16" mainly due to the more petite stocks. I've only encountered a few stocks that absolutely refused to take the cast off bend I require, mainly they were very straight grain with little if any figure. Most stocks with decent figure will take a bend quite readily, even those stocks using a through bolt for attachment.

On my stock bending jig, I have slotted oak blocks with leather padding epoxied to their face that I clamp onto the wood behind the action to prevent the wood from spreading when the bending force is applied. I have used leather padded wood wedges under the tang area to support the stock when changing drop. All this helps, but as stated above, stock bending can be an adventure.