16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Pitch and Pad Adjusters...
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:58 am  Reply with quote

I'm attempting to set up a gun for a new petite shooter. I'm probably going to need some toe out and pitch changes. So looking at at options on pads and buttstock plate adjusters.

I've been re-reading Roland Oswald's book. Lot's of options!

So easiest would be to determine LOP, and cut the stock to add a pitch spacer and new pad, like a Kick-eez Rocker. It has a 'soft' toe and with increasing pitch, should give fairly comfortable contact, at least better than factory stock/pad arrangement. Then access the comb and add height as needed. (Yes, I know this is not ideal in either progression or complete fit)

Option "B" is is to add an adjustable plate to buttstock. Preferably one with an adjustable LOP. That would allow some toe out, a bit of cast and some drop if needed. Pretty sure some pitch delta is in the mix.

So with an adjustable LOP Plate, I'm assuming the best way is to use a spacer between the pad and pad mounting plate? Cutting the stock for pitch or placing the pitch placer between the stock and adjuster would tend to cause the pitch to change with any change of LOP, right?

Also The Country Gentleman Nelson Adjuster says it has an option for LOP and Pitch adjustment. They don't give many details or pictures, and a quick search didn't give much information. Anyone here have any experience with these style adjusters???

Thanks!
16'er
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:35 am  Reply with quote

Links for reference:

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/rocker-recoil-pad/

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/pitch-spacers/

https://kickeezproducts.com/recoil-pads/cheek-eez/

http://www.gunfitter.com/#services

https://graco-corp.com/product/575s/
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:20 am  Reply with quote

You do not mention what gun.
When my kids started out, we used the 1100s and ammo control.
1st year only ONE in the gun and a pocket full of ammo.
2nd year only TWO in the gun, etc

Easiest to do for a petite shooter is the Remington 1100.

Example below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REMINGTON-1100-20-gauge-LT20-black-synthetic-butt-stock-forend-Youth-Model-/382055377843?hash=item58f4466bb3:g:km8AAOSwuspY~Uw6

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:49 am  Reply with quote

I have a Franchi Instinct SL 20ga on order. Shooter is 5'5" and ~120lbs.

The Franchi is a VERY light gun. I know this is a potential recoil issue, so in order to reduce perceived recoil and increase success at shooting I'm trying to get dimensions closer to her needs. I may need to add some weight, but always easier to add weight than take it away.

Based on shouldering other guns, I need to shorten LOP and probably raise the comb at the very least. The Franchi will be here soon, if not today.

I plan on purchasing reduced 20ga loads or reloading 3/4oz loads at ~1100 fps to start out on.

After discussing options with the shooter and handling some guns, she decided the o/u break action was what she was comfortable with. Given the inability to run reduced loads in a semi auto, except single shot mode, and the need for light/compact a decision was reached.
putz463
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm  Reply with quote

FWIW; my wife of about the same petite dimensions is enjoying her Browning Citori Micro. I added a Kickeez slip on and loading 3/4oz'ers for her, good to go.

16'er
PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Was looking hard at the browning micro, but at 6.5 lbs, I needed some thing lighter. My 6.25 lbs Uggie was a bit much. So we're going to start light ang add weight as needed. Hopefully can get the dimensions close enough for a new shooter to have a good start...
Montana16
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:30 pm  Reply with quote

This is great timing. I just purchased a beretta bl-3 20 gauge skeet gun for my wife. Considering the same options as you 16'er.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:20 am  Reply with quote

The Franchi SL came in on Friday. Nice lightweight field gun. It did just fine on pen quail this weekend. Standard federal game loads were barely noticeable. The reduced loads at 3/4 oz should be perfect for starting her out. My LGS has me a case on order, and should be in this week.

Need to order a pad, rocker, pitch wedge and sorbathane comb riser now. Judging from nose to thumb with the gun mounted, looks like 13.25" should be pretty close. I'll install the riser first and re-measure.

I think if franchi offered this gun in 16ga, it would be a real winner. Another member at the club has the 12ga which is sub 6lbs. He loads 1oz standard velocity loads and it does the job nicely. I tell him he took the long way around coming to the 16ga way of thinking....
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:43 pm  Reply with quote

Update:

Pad and comb pad have been installed. Lop is now 13" and sight picture is good for her. We've been out shooting twice, and she's breaking some easy targets. Just a few short sessions so far. Action is still quite stiff to open, but I've been working on that by opening and closing it ~50x whenever I'm in the safe.

If I could have found a 16ga o/u this light, I would have jumped on it. With the reduced loads, the ultralight franchi is very manageable for her. Off to a good start!

Now looking to set up to reload 20ga to make reloading the reduced loads possible.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:22 pm  Reply with quote

The 20 ga. hull can be loaded down to 5/8 oz. at 1100 FPS w/o any problems. They pattern pretty much like a 3/4 oz 16 ga. load w/ a solid core. They smash clays in close just fine. Loads this light won't cycle a recoil operated autoloader, but they are great loads for kids and women newbies. No pain fun loads to be sure. Just shoot them one at a time. Not a bad idea for newbies and kids.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

Duplicate post deleated. Fat fingers and slow brain. Scoozie. Laughing

Last edited by 16gaugeguy on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
67galaxie
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 4:00 pm  Reply with quote

I just tried a leatherman pad and love it! Comes with different spacers to add to the inside of it