16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  CB 7/8 vs Dr16
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

Or a pinto bean under the shot. Very Happy
big-k
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:29 am  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
With very minor exception (very slight volume differences) a Fiocchi hull will load just like a Federal ,Cheddite, Kent, RST, Herters, etc., etc.

For practical purposes all of the above hulls and others I may not have mentioned, are interchangeable...the black Remington Game Load is uniquely less volume and requires its own unique recipes .

Assuming 2.75" hulls and BARRING "FILLERS"....

A Fiocchi hull with a DR16 wad will make an exquisite 7/8 load and a passable 1 ounce load.

A Fiocchi hull with a tall SG1621 wad will make an exquisite 1 or 1 & 1/8 ounce load and a passable 15/16 ounce load. I personally don't think it will make an acceptable 7/8 ounce load.

State your preferred payload and desired velocity and you'll get recommendations for specific recipes.

Mike...thanks for your reply... what do these listed hulls you noted have in common? are they all strait wall one piece ? My order of wads will be here on the 6th from Graf & sons ...(-: thanks Kenny

Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:39 am  Reply with quote

Lets not forget using the Fed20 ga S1 wad for 7/8oz in an RGL. Perfect fit,no filler needed.

mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:54 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
big-k
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:24 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Mike......I did get my order of wads and have a (published) test load ready. It starts with Fiocchi hulls both low and hi brass, load calls for Win 209 and that is what I Used. Primers seem to fit O.K. not tight. 16.0 grains of International, DR wad on top the powder with no wad pressure, just pressed in place, filled with 382.8 grains of chilled 7.5 or 7/8oz. After crimp tests I added a very thin slice of 20ga. fiber wad placed in the bottom of the wad cup. I did not have any cherios in the cupboard...)-; The loads look good and does not rattle when shaken. I will now shoot some, note ignition qualities and if they foul the tubes much. Evaluate the felt recoil then shoot some for pattern quality and chrono them. I hope it will be a good load on paper... My next load is similar but calls for BPI SG wad and 18 grains of International with Fio primer. I will try this load next. SXS Ohio

mike campbell
PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
big-k
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:45 pm  Reply with quote

I got out to the clays range today...(-: After I received my Fox Sterlingworth 30" barrels back from Bachelders gun smithing I shot about 30 rounds of my reloads and a box of 1oz RST 2.5" lite loads. My lower recoil 7/8oz loads listed in my earlier post. They are great loads, recoil is much better than factory game loads, burn clean and dust targets. Recoil is about the same as the RST lite loads. Still a little more recoil than I want when shooting 50 to 75 rounds at targets. My Fox is very light, was built in 1913 the 559th gun made in 16ga. At 5lbs -12oz it kicks a bit when shooting targets. I plan to try a 3/4oz load next. I am very happy with the 7/8oz load and will use this load unless I find a lower recoil loading. This will be a great load for my 6lb-5-1/2 oz CSMC Fox just as it is...(-: thanks all SXS Ohio