16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Browning BPS Frame Sizes
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Does anyone know how many different frame sizes that Browning has for their BPS line? I have a 16, 28 and .410 and am specifically looking to find out if the 16 is a sized frame for that gauge or if it is built on a 12 or 20 gauge frame. Since I do not have a 12 or 20 gauge BPS I can not tell.

Thanks, Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:29 am  Reply with quote

The 16 gauge BPS is made on the 20 gauge frame.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:15 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Dale

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

To be a bit more precise, the BPS 16 gauge frame is a slightly modified 20 gauge frame. It's a tad wider in order to accommodate the slightly bigger chamber end of the 16 gauge barrel (same thing for the Citori frames). All other dimensions are the same. Weights are as well. Hpoe my input helps.
HudsonHowitzer775
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:16 pm  Reply with quote

Bob, I just did this comparison with my BPS shotguns in 10, 12, 16, and 20 gauges. The 20 gauge receiver is longer than the 16 gauge receiver probably due to the fact that the 20 gauge has a 3-inch chamber while the 16 has a 2-3/4 inch chamber. This was probably done to shave weight off of the gun at the receiver. Whatever the reason, it works. My 16 gauge feels much smoother to shoulder and point than my 20 gauge does. The 16 also feels more balanced than the 20. I'll email you some pics, Bob.

4setters
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

HH,
That's interesting. Thanks for the above info, all of you. I don't have a 16 and 20 to compare, but I always thought that the 16 was the same overall receiver length as a 20. The reason--load a 16 gauge shell into the receiver (not the chamber), turn the gun upside down, and look at all the "extra" space between the front of the bolt and the back of the barrel chamber compared to the 16 gauge shell. I guess what I'm saying is that it appears to me there is plenty of room in the receiver (and ejection port) of a 16 gauge BPS for a 3" 16 gauge shell if they made them.

Why did they make it with all that extra space? A function of the action?

Same goes with the new A-5 Sweet. A 16 gauge 2-3/4 shell has a lot of room to roam around in when the bolt is in the rearward position. The ejection port is much longer than needed to clear the hull. Again, it looks like the gun would easily handle a 3"inch shell. I have suspected that Browning will eventually use the A-5 Sweet as the basis for a 20 gauge model down the line someday. But I'm probably wrong as usual! They may make a totally different receiver for a 20?

Regardless, both the BPS and A-5 Sweet have loooooong receivers!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
HudsonHowitzer775
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

4setters wrote:

Why did they make it with all that extra space? A function of the action?

Same goes with the new A-5 Sweet. A 16 gauge 2-3/4 shell has a lot of room to roam around in when the bolt is in the rearward position. The ejection port is much longer than needed to clear the hull. Again, it looks like the gun would easily handle a 3"inch shell. I have suspected that Browning will eventually use the A-5 Sweet as the basis for a 20 gauge model down the line someday. But I'm probably wrong as usual! They may make a totally different receiver for a 20?

Regardless, both the BPS and A-5 Sweet have loooooong receivers!

4setters,

I agree they have long receivers. The basis BPS sub-gauge receivers are all based on the 20 gauge size. It looks like they just shortened it a bit for the 16.

As for the extra space in the receiver for the 16, from what I can summize from the looks of the action, the cartridge carrier forks need to be a certain length for the mechanism to trip the shell stop to feed the next shell to the carrier. If the carrier forks are too short, they won't feed shells properly or consistently. I might be totally wrong though so take my opinion for the pocket lint that it's worth.