16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tight Seal
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

As I mentioned before, Mark/DC, your new usage of the TightSeal product is interesting. By that I meant creative -- a new and handy use for an existing product to solve the problem of the moment. The info you provided is useful -- thanks for doing the pressure testing and supplying real data.

The rest of my post was intended to be funny, but evidently missed the mark for one guy, at least. I am amused by the efforts of some companies to push products of speculative and dubious value, to "customize" and "improve" loads. To each his own, for sure. And I do like and use Tyvek for buffer retention, especially with PSB (Precision Spherical Buffer), which is like little ball bearings and flows like water. Personally, I try to use as few components in reloading as possible, and I'm sure you and others do too, but when one is up against component compatibility issues, one must improvise, as you have in this example. Anyway, though I hope never to have to use your wad sealing solution, thanks to you I know I can if need be, and safely, too.

All the Best Mark

Tony
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:50 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
I see the starting of an unpleasantness. And 16GaugeGuy isn't even involved. Sad

Razz Razz Razz and the horse you rode in on!!! Laughing

As DC is advising us, using a thin plastic or paper disc under the wad base to stop powder migration works well and does not significantly increase load pressures if done right. But I've always advised folks to not modify anything when dealing with max pressure loads or anytime they're not certain about the peak pressure of a load they're working on. I'm sure DC would agree on this point.

I've had my own solution to the problem of loose fitting plastic wads and powder migration for quite a while now. It's cheap, easy, and effective if done right. But based on past experience, I'll be damned if I'll share it with anyone here again. I've no control over how folks interpret things or how they will use the info.

So I'm hoping DC doesn't end up with shrapnel in his butt for being kind enough to offer us another solution to the powder migration problem. But I'm almost positive some yoyo will take the advise, run with it in the wrong direction, them start hammering DC for being so stupid to have suggested it in the first place.

DC, I'll be happy to loan you my rubber donut if this happens to you. You're gonna need it. Laughing
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:45 am  Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by Dogchaser37 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 am  Reply with quote

I see GG is back washing the hog

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:58 am  Reply with quote

Is the Tyvek the same thickness as house wrap?
3crosses
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:08 pm  Reply with quote

Saran Wrap?
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:04 pm  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
I see GG is back washing the hog

And I can see that byrddog is standing in the stream down current of the camp site in the AM again. Laughing
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

16 GG, I hadn't seen a posting from you for quite a while and was beginning to wonder if you were ill or some misfortune had befallen you. Glad to see you are back with us. Smile Smile
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm  Reply with quote

Deleted

Last edited by Dogchaser37 on Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:52 am; edited 1 time in total

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

I'm wondering if having it between the powder and wad would result in it melting/burning so as to leave residue in the bore. It would take more than a few shots for enough to accumulate to be noticeable. Since it's only involved with hunting loads, I think it will be awhile before enough shots would be fire to see any adverse effects since most upland bird hunting is long on walking and short on shooting.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:07 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
I'm wondering if having it between the powder and wad would result in it melting/burning so as to leave residue in the bore. It would take more than a few shots for enough to accumulate to be noticeable. Since it's only involved with hunting loads, I think it will be awhile before enough shots would be fire to see any adverse effects since most upland bird hunting is long on walking and short on shooting.

Considering the fact Tyvek melts at around 275 F and smokeless powder can burn as hot as 3000 F, I'd say yes it would melt.
Tight seal was made as an overshot card not an over powder card, once you pull the trigger your going to get blow by when the Tyvek melts. Best bet is Gas seals or Nitro cards.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:01 am  Reply with quote

GG, you still got that donut?

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:59 am  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
GG, you still got that donut?

Laughing Laughing Laughing
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:21 am  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
16 GG, I hadn't seen a posting from you for quite a while and was beginning to wonder if you were ill or some misfortune had befallen you. Glad to see you are back with us. Smile Smile

Thanks. No problems (other than old age and the usual senior moments Laughing ). I've been busy working with my T/C Hawkens. Back in February, I acquired an unfired 45 cal barrel made by Sharon Barrel under contract back in 1977 or so (just before Sharon Barrel closed up shop after having to defend against several frivolous lawsuits).

The barrel seems like it wants to shoot very well, but it keeps changing it's mind about how well it wants to shoot on a particular day. Some days it puts three shot groups in a nice tight little clover leafs dead center. Next day it starts blowing patches, and the groups go to hell.

The load I'm using has been an excellent one in my other 45 cal Hawken barrels. Thicker patches seem to exacerbate the problem. Thicker patches and smaller balls won't work either. The bore is bright and shiny all the way to the breech plug, and the rifling looks to be perfectly formed.

I've never had a barrel behave this way. Maybe the rifling is still a bit too sharp and needs to be broke in. I think the solution is to shoot the bejesus out of this old barrel to smooth things up in the bore. That's okay w/ me. Shooting my front stuffers keeps me out of the taverns and out of trouble (most of the time). Laughing
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:13 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a worthwhile project. I recall seeking to locate a Sharon barrel in 1977 for a Hawken but was unable to find one. Then in about 1983 Washington State reduced hunter days by limiting big game licenses to Modern, Muzzleloader OR Archery, So I focused on centerfire and sold the muzzleloader.
That barrel is a quandary. I wonder what the variable is that would be different from the days where it shoots well to the days that it doesn't.