16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Tight Seal
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:00 am  Reply with quote

a few yrs back , I was looking for a trapper barrel for my Traditions 1/2 guns . The only place in the country was a guy named Tip Curtiss in Tenn . He accumulated barrel stocks as guns became obsolete . Old guy . May have these other barrels you may be looking for ... Tip Curtiss Frontier shop .

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:44 pm  Reply with quote

AmericanMeet wrote:
Sounds like a worthwhile project. I recall seeking to locate a Sharon barrel in 1977 for a Hawken but was unable to find one. Then in about 1983 Washington State reduced hunter days by limiting big game licenses to Modern, Muzzleloader OR Archery, So I focused on centerfire and sold the muzzleloader.
That barrel is a quandary. I wonder what the variable is that would be different from the days where it shoots well to the days that it doesn't.

Drop in Sharon barrels made for T/C Hawkens in clean to unfired condition don't come around too often. They have an excellent rep for accuracy. I was lucky as hell to have gotten an unfired one.

I've been given to understand that the button rifling is a bit deeper than T/C barrels made earlier or later. The evenly spaced, eight groove rifling pattern is also the one T/C finally settled on due to the consistent accuracy it produces. It has been used in all subsequent Hawken barrels made after 1977. So perhaps I'm on the right track about shooting this old barrel in to smooth up the rifling, so it won't shred patches. It simply might take longer to smooth up than my other barrels.

Also, T/C purchased the Sharon Barrel manufacturing machinery and equipment and started making their own barrels in the early 1990's (1993 I think). I can attest to how well these last series barrels shoot. I have several, and they are very accurate. So finding one of these in clean to unfired condition is a good thing too. But it's best to avoid the QLA barrels if shooting patched balls is a priority.

Anyway, i hope my input helps anyone who has a T/C Hawken or Renegade and wants to find a good T/C round ball barrel to make it shoot spot on consistently. I also apologize for highjacking this thread, but it looks like DC's butt was getting a tad sore, so perhaps it's a no harm, no foul sort of thing. Laughing