16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Thoughts on a 16 Gauge Dickinson SxS
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Elk County Ammo and Arms in St. Mary's PA (814-834-9451) is willing to custom order with 50% deposit. I also was a little put out by the attitude by the west Coast operation.

Bob

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:36 pm  Reply with quote

They told me today though if you want an engraved version, there is a 2 year wait and then they do require 100% up front. So just and Estate for me.

Bob

rkittine
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:36 pm  Reply with quote

Now I am just trying to refine the order as you can select LOP, Drop at Heel and Comb, Cast etc. Finish, oil or satin, barrel length etc. etc. I am trying to finalize it so the order can go in. I though I knew exactly what I wanted until I started filling out the order form.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:58 pm  Reply with quote

I was wanting to order a 16/20 ga two barrel Dickinson with the French Gray engraved receiver and upgraded wood in my POW/single trigger configuration, but Marty at Dickinson said the wait was going to be so long that he would not take the order. Makes you feel bad when you're ready to spend real money on a gun and no one will take it.

rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:06 am  Reply with quote

I asked about the Grey, which ELK told me they would order, but it was an engraving process with a major increase in price and a 2 year minimum wait, along with 100% deposit in advance for that one. I am settling for the Case Hardened Boxlock.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:15 am  Reply with quote

rkittine wrote:
I asked about the Grey, which ELK told me they would order, but it was an engraving process with a major increase in price and a 2 year minimum wait, along with 100% deposit in advance for that one. I am settling for the Case Hardened Boxlock.

Bob

Don't get me wrong on the Dickinson, the case hardened receiver makes a fine looking gun, especially if they give you a special selection of wood as they did for my 16 ga. I was just wanting something a little more special and hated being told no way. In all honesty, I turned 76 this year and who knows how much more hunting I'd be able to do with a new gun and a two year wait. They probably did me a favor refusing to take the order, but I still think about how sweet a setup that gun would be.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:43 am  Reply with quote

Bob what do you intend to use the gun for? Grouse ,targets , ducks or pheasant etc. The 28ga 24" Estate I have ordered is for grouse over dogs. set up to be the easiest carry I could find. I have chronic arthritis throughout my body and it has become difficult to carry a 16ga for more than 30 minnits .
Your needs and intended use should be considered with a custom gun order.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
rkittine
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I stopped hunting years ago, so the gun will be used for an occasional Old Fashion Day of Skeet and who knows maybe some sporting clays or even a round of trap. I have less the 500 rounds through all four of my other SxSs combined.

I wish that there were pictures of the options like the different forends. I like Beavertail for my O/Us, but I am not sure of the look on a SxS, but it is probably Semi-Beavertail.

My new SKB 200 Two Barrel Set has a Checkered wooden butt pad, which looks great, but roughed up my shoulder even in just 28 gauge. So I think I am going with what they call Rubber-Lastic as compared to their Plastic or Wood.

30" May be better for the barrels if I decide to shoot a little trap, but I am thinking that the gun would look more classic, with 28". The only carrying will be around a clays course.

I have decided Pistol Grip as I prefer it, though I sure that it would look more classic with a POW or English Stock.

This is like going to a Greek Owned Dinner. Too many choices, but all opinions are welcome.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

I ordered my 16 ga Dickinson with the semi-beavertail forend and it reminds me a lot of the CZ Ringneck forend with the little schnable tip. It does come up the sides of the barrels and feels great in my hand.

Being mainly a bird hunter, I've ordered my guns with the checkered butts and then cut and fitted Pachmayer SC-100 pads with the no-snag insert at the top with my LOP and pitch set correctly. If you are going to shoot low gun, the SC-100 is great.

rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:02 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the note. I was also just considering the Schnabel forend, which I think MAY be in one of the SxS pictures on the Dickinson Site, though it is not labeled.

On my O/U Skeet Guns I need a Right Cast. On the Dickinson Order Form under Cast it says On or Off, anyone know if ON is right cast? I have a call into the dealer.

Last thing will be barrel length, though I am still leaning toward the 28" I wonder if I should just get the 30s.

With their plastic Butt Pad, I can always have that replaced with another pad easily.

Not knowing all the dimensions of the rib and receiver, I am wondering if I should not screw around with the drop at heel and comb and stay with their standard. I would prefer a more parallel stock for skeet.

Bob

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:41 am  Reply with quote

Cast off is butt to the right for a right hand shooter. Cast on is butt to the left for a leftie.

On drop at the comb and heel, I went with my fitted dimensions of 1 1/2" DAC and 2 1/4" DAH. Dickinson lists their standard DAH as 2 1/8". Measuring my gun when it arrived, they hit my numbers perfectly, but it shot low. I ended up having to bend it to 2 1/8" to get the 60/40 pattern I like for bird hunting. Other guys who have the Dickinson have noted having to see more rib than normal to get the patterns they want. I would err on the side of less drop rather than more if ordering another custom.

My 16 ga has the 28" barrels and balances right at the hinge pin. I'm not sure if 30" barrels would result in a forward weight allowance or they would adjust the butt stock wood weight to compensate. The longer barrels would maybe be advantageous for clay shooting though.

The forend I ordered was their standard semi-beavertail and it came with the Schnabel. Not sure if you can get it any other way.

rkittine
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:35 am  Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I spent a lot of time with Elk County Ammo and Arms and finalized the order yesterday. I did go for 28" Barrels instead of 30s and left neutral cast. I am sure I will like it much better than my Ringneck. Now the wait begins.

Bob