16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  If your reloading was limited to three hulls
browningsweet161977
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:32 am  Reply with quote

You holding out on us Mike Very Happy Winchester cfs are the main hull I load. I have hoarded probably way to many of the other hull types. But it is nice to have options. I use activ for my favorite sporting clays load.

Last edited by browningsweet161977 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

Browning citori grade 6 28" 16 gauge
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:43 am  Reply with quote

1000's of CF's? No wonder I have a hard time finding them, they all migrated south. I have about 300 though, wish I had a few more.

DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:06 pm  Reply with quote

My order of preference:
1) Winchester CF
2) Activ
3) Federal

At my age, I have a lifetime supply of all the above for hunting loads.

When Winchester first switched to a Reifenhauser style hull, they were made in the USA and had a very tough plastic tube that was almost impossible to wear out. I wish now that I had bought a truckload of them. The present type, first from Italy and now from Australia, don't hold up anywhere near as well.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

DanLee wrote:

When Winchester first switched to a Reifenhauser style hull, they were made in the USA and had a very tough plastic tube that was almost impossible to wear out. I wish now that I had bought a truckload of them. The present type, first from Italy and now from Australia, don't hold up anywhere near as well.

Dan, I just posted about some old Win I found in my garage... do these sound like what you're talking about? Hoping so. Wink
http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21032
DanLee
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

The shells I had were loaded with Winchester's WAA16 wad. Yours may have been contemporaneous, but they sound like the Super-X Mark V that was loaded with fiber wads and a plastic shot wrapper. Regardless, take a needle nose pliers and try to tear the mouth of the hull. If it seems excessively difficult to do so, you have the same hulls I had.
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

My 3 choices: I mostly hunt, shoot few clays.

1. Winchester CF Dove and Quail 8 star crimp low base from the 80s/90s, or other older WIN CF hulls such as Mark 5 high brass or Upland.
2. PMC Cheddite-type hulls.
3. Remington Express high brass (Green)

I think I've tried about all the Cheddite hulls at one time or another, and PMCs seem to be the best, followed by Rios.

I'm just now starting on a flat of 90s/00s WIN Upland straight walled hulls with 8 star crimps--so far they seem to be good hulls, but I haven't put them through all the paces yet.

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:04 pm  Reply with quote

Riflemeister wrote:
16'er wrote:
Federal s first by a long lead.

Second is Winchester.

Not a fan of Remington GL's, crimp memory is too strong. But I seem to be the only one who dislikes them.

I find the RGL's usually get split necks on the second or third reload and end up being tossed. I like the Winchester Australian game load hulls (Cheddite) and the Herter hulls (purple Cheddites), but all factory crimped hulls seem to split necks at the crimp lines way too early. My best success has been with the new Cheddite hulls loaded on my MEC 9000. The crimps are a bit softer on the folds and don't split on subsequent reloads nearly as often as factory crimps.

I agree. I use cheddite red, green, blue,, herters, feds. I shoot so much trap at games I can't be to pickier. Cheddite I can get 6-7 loads from a new hull.
Hammer bill
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:14 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="skeettx"]I have NOT said this before
shhhhhh!!!!
I have 1000s of Win CF hulls in storage
Think I like them and the 2 1/2 inch Paper RST hulls

Skeet , that's probably what I have left.plus a case of factories. Gold is what they are. A few I used on trap. But the rest are only for humting.
Bobsthedog
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:54 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:
In the real world:

1) Cheddite
2) Federal
3) Remington

In dreamland:

1) If Remington hulls were actually made of good plastic
2) Cheddite
3) Winchester CF

Activ would be in place of the Remington if we are talking dreamland on my list, and as long as we are in dreamland the WAA CF would be ahead of Cheditte.

My farther in law shot nothing but active 12 ga from the time they first were avai8olbile until he couldn't get them anymore. I had a lot of hulls. I have several cases of 12 ga active left mainly due to the fact that they will reload many times, and I converted over to AA. The Activ are used for magnum loads now because of their capacity and toughness. I can then tell at a glance what i have in hand too.
3birddogs
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:35 am  Reply with quote

I am loading almost entirely 2 1/2" shells these days. I prefer RST's, but also have alot of the Cabelas Herters that I cut down to 2 1/2" with that wonderful little tool sold on this forum. the Herters dont reload a s nice or often, but I've got plenty. Cabelas is ony a 10 minute drive for me, so I am lucky. I do like the little 7/8 oz load using 20/28 in the RGL, and probably have 300+ empty RGL hulls. Just dont like changing the reloader around(MEC 600). I shoot mostly vintage doubles, hence I prefer the short shells.

John
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:56 pm  Reply with quote

Since we're on this topic I have question...Are the Remington hulls the same? Speaking of the recently manufactured black and green. Or are there various ones that would take their own load data?

Thanks, John.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:10 pm  Reply with quote

They are all the same, when it comes to reloading data.