16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  French 16
16'er
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm  Reply with quote

OT: Why the Heck do people selling guns think it's a good idea to rest them on a piece of rough granite???

I guess it makes a pretty picture if you subscribe to Feng-Shwey or something.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Personally I've never bought a gun from anyone I didn't know, or know to have a pretty good presence on the various websites I follow. I don't think I'd ever buy one sight unseen otherwise.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:41 pm  Reply with quote

fin2feather wrote:
Personally I've never bought a gun from anyone I didn't know, or know to have a pretty good presence on the various websites I follow. I don't think I'd ever buy one sight unseen otherwise.

You must either have a lot of friends or not a lot of guns. Living in a sparsely populated state, I have bought the majority of my guns through the mail or internet.

Wasn't the case when I was a kid of course, but very little to satisfy growing wants here in a state with few options.

I have been lucky as stated before, but I don't buy off sites that I feel are less than reputable.

I am 75 now, and haven't done too bad trusting my brain and some common sense. Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
OT: Why the Heck do people selling guns think it's a good idea to rest them on a piece of rough granite???

I guess it makes a pretty picture if you subscribe to Feng-Shwey or something.

Agreed, I think it must be to detract you from any fault in the gun. Can't tell much about condition if the photo is taken from 3 feet away.

Personally give me close ups on a kitchen table, and a lot of them.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

double post for some reason

Last edited by fin2feather on Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

[quote="fin2feather"]
Cheyenne08 wrote:
fin2feather wrote:

You must either have a lot of friends or not a lot of guns. Living in a sparsely populated state, I have bought the majority of my guns through the mail or internet.

Wasn't the case when I was a kid of course, but very little to satisfy growing wants here in a state with few options.

I have been lucky as stated before, but I don't buy off sites that I feel are less than reputable.

I am 75 now, and haven't done too bad trusting my brain and some common sense. Wink

Dale

You're right: I probably haven't bought a lot of guns by some folks' standards - just over a half dozen by my count that I've bought over the internet. Each and every one was bought from someone I either knew, knew by reputation via their posts on sites I follow, or was vouched for by someone I knew. Wouldn't have it any other way. I don't have to wade though a lot crap or rely totally on "my brain and common sense"; maybe yours in infallible but mine isn't. I like to have a leg up going in and a feel for who and what I'm dealing with.

When I buy a gun I'm looking for something specific; I don't do impulse buys unless it's something I'm holding in my hands.

I'm glad you've never had a bad experience; judging by the horror stories that are out there you're a rarity.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Glad to hear you have had good luck with your purchases, sorry I don't have any horror stories to report.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:16 pm  Reply with quote

You shouldn't feel sorry, just real lucky.