16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  loosing hunting ground
525field
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

This sunday got together with our group and ran the dogs in a couple of out best fields .when we started to head home we saw a guy putting up no hunting signs and taking down the walk in ones. he told us that he leased out all his fields to a private co. for the season and if we wanted to hunt it it would be 250.00 for the day but we get breakfeast
I guess this is the way things are going have to find new hunting grounds
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 pm  Reply with quote

That best be a damn big,good breakfast.The truth is every year land is getting scarce and the price will keep going up---They are more interested in making a buck than anything else Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
525field
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:09 pm  Reply with quote

the real kick in the but comes from the guyw who leased all the land, he owns about 4000 acres south of Wichita
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:34 pm  Reply with quote

Like I said---$$$$$$$$$$$
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:00 am  Reply with quote

Sad but true, and happening more all the time; the money's just too good for most folks to pass up. Those of us who are fortunate enough to have a little hunk of land to hunt are lucky. My father-in-law used to say "might have to plant a tater out there". I'd always say "or shoot a pheasant".

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
525field
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

fin you know the person, has a couple of bugger joints( it just taste better)
Dennis
fin2feather
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:12 pm  Reply with quote

Yes, I do, and you're right: That would definitely be his style. I feel even worse about it now! Evil or Very Mad

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
grousewoods
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm  Reply with quote

Some of the areas need to be checked out,they get payed from the state for the walk in areas for hunting and then lease the land out to the outfitters.I have run into this in N.D. they don't always check the area and they getaway with this,yes I do check and turn them in,if it's on the map they have been payed you should beable to walk-in and hunt.
Haiwee
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:40 pm  Reply with quote

This is one of the reasons I'm so happy to live out West. Lots of public property all over California, Nevada and Arizona.
nossman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:52 am  Reply with quote

Haiwee wrote:
This is one of the reasons I'm so happy to live out West. Lots of public property all over California, Nevada and Arizona.

Yes, we have a lot of public land, and I love it. However, I just wish that we could also have an agreement between the CA DFG and land owners (like Kansas), providing walk-in access for hunting. Thus, I will be hunting pheasants in the state wildlife areas (levees) around the Sacramento valley.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 am  Reply with quote

While the areas very close to the suburbs I grew up in have grown too much in population to be open to hunting, a very great deal of the state of Minnesota is state forest, particularly north of the twin cities metro area, and is open to anyone who wants to look around in it for productive hunting-thats the key, because a lot of it isn't useful for anything other than winter harvesting of black spruce for paper companies. There are private lands within the state forests, but, a plat map of recent issue will help you avoid them. The state continues to add WMAs that continue to be developed for hunting, and while no hunting signs aren't uncommon, I feel I may actually have access to more hunting ground that I did as a youth, but, it isn't as close to home. True, I have to do my homework, but, that isn't so bad.
Best,
Ted
Fluesy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:43 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning All-I can't help but comment on what I am seeing where I live. The land developers have such political influence and sway in the state of Arizona there are no lands considered sacred. I have watched as Tuscon detonated like a Hydrogen Bomb and consumed the surrounding countryside, no good reason or logic, just plain greed is driving the whole thing. A little north of Tucson is an area by the name of Willow Springs, this area was one of the premier go Quail Hunting spots close to Tucson. Alas it is being ruined by the developers blade as I type this. It's sad to say but in order for the sportsman to have a place to go we need some better organizing and effective lobbying to hold sway with the state legislatures and start making some change or we will have left nothing for our children and grandchildren but stories about how once we could hunt wild birds and open countryside. Our state game & Fish departments are overworked and understaffed, they also are at the beck and call of the better funded and organized group like the Southern Arizona Homebuilders Association.

I hate to say it but Preserve Hunting may be the salvation of the sport and the sad sad truth is it will exclude the average guy who has to bust his butt to make a living. If we don't start coming together and being active in the political arena, we will be legislated out of existence. In Arizona the state land trust is required to sell off public land for the betterment of the school districts, the money is a drop in the bucket if it went away there would be minimal impact on the state school system. The Land Developers swarm around it like the hungry flock of the Vultures they are and scalp the countryside for pennies on the dollar. Please forgive this wish as it will affect us all profoundly, I hope the housing market goes in the crapper for a 5-6 year period. Then maybe some of these landmongers will go out of business and lessen the impact in the long term. The Tucson area is so overbuilt right now, I really fail to see where they are going to come up with buyers for the overpriced cookie cutter developments that are building out right now. Maybe what this country needs is a good recession and a democrat in the white house(but the republicans would need to maintain control of the legislature or we gun owners would suffer great wrath at the hands of the Kerrys, Clintons, Feinsteins, Kennedys and Schumers)( and I'm sure I missed a Penis Wrinkle or two in that group). Thank God there's a Gun Show today, lest I be depressed for the remainder of the weekend. Pheeewwww, I feel better now, thanks for your ear.
Chet
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:12 am  Reply with quote

Fluesy: The first fall after we moved here in 04', I went by the Az Fish and Game office here in Phoenix and asked about hunting preserves. They gave me a list but said "This is 2 yrs old and we think most of them have closed down. They couldn't make any money" There were 3 on the list NE of Tucson and sure enough, none of the phone #s worked. Sad but reality-not enough bird hunters interested and land more valuable as 'ranchettes' or 'Rancho Rediculoso' subdivisions.

Fluesy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:02 am  Reply with quote

Good Morning Andrew-Yes it is sad but true, the almighty dollar dictates land use. Then We(as in all the hunters that cry about no birds), aren't willing to support an opportunity to see guaranteed birds. I think there are at least three active hunting preserves right now, the one by Prescott (Dirk & Elsie's excellent Adventure). Desert Pheasant Recreation in Coolidge and One down by Sonoita with put and take Chukars, Pheasants & Quail. Too Bad we can't have a extremely rich hunting philantrophist, buy the remaining open land in Arizona, place it in trust and bequeath it for the masses to hunt in to perpetuity. Perhaps we could lobby for some of the Lottery Money to be used for purchasing land to set aside for the future generations. We are leaving our great grand children a world devoid of the opportunities we now have, Lord forgive us as we have seen the enemy and they is us. All the Baaaahh Humbug aside, Andrew I wish you a very good day, take Ole Dirk out and run him. Chrissie is going out in the morning, perhaps I can find a pocket of Retarded Quail willing to be patient with a Learning Pup (11 Months Old Today !!!)
Chet
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Chet and back at cha'

Theodore Roosevelt, on visiting the Grand Canyon for the first time during the 1903 trip and being told of plans for it's 'development':
"Leave it as it is. You cannot improve on it. The ages have been at work on it, and man can only mar it-keep it for your children, your children's children, and for all who come after you."