16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns Wanted or For Sale  ~  Remington 31L 28" Full
kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

Selling my 31L project gun. Wasn't really supposed to be one, but as I was attending the PA Gunsmith School and Brownell's held an alternate finishes class this became the project. Only thing I had around that could use a refinish was this 16ga and with the alloy receiver was really appropriate for some Gun Kote to cover up a gouge that stood out.

So....the receiver was easily readied for refinish and in fact the gouge cleaned up better than I expected. What was more problematic was cleaning up the barrel and magazine tube. The finish of the steel filed and sanded off easily but what appeared to be the surface rusting common to many older guns I saw was more extensive than most.

I'd filed a lot of pitting off of my 1897 16ga with an eye toward not reshaping the metal and was able to come up with a very acceptable result. This barrel didn't have similar deep pits but was sufficiently covered to where I'd have to remove a lot of the lettering to get it looking acceptable to me. Through all of the bluing class I'd gotten a top score on only one gun, an Ithaca 37 (16 of course) the barrel of which came out gorgeous. The instructor then told me these Ithacas usually turn out better than most shotguns.

The point of that is I was allowed to sandblast the barrel once the filing and sanding produced a uniform look, and in the process lost only the choke marking which had some of the worst rust around it. The magazine tube was in a worse state and I wound up treating it to Gun Kote as well. To top it all off we fired up a pot to Nitre blue small parts. Seemed the time to polish the trigger pin and brighten it up. You can see yourself in it, or a small image of yourself anyhow.

The stock is original to the gun when I got it, with a pretty hideous recoil pad that I replaced as a chance to practice that job. Nice Kick-eez which will help with the recoil of a light gun. The forearm has what looks like a short crack filled in with varnish at the center bottom rear, but I cannot catch any part of it with a fingernail. If it's a repair, it's an old one and solid.

So, here's a bit of a Frankengun. Shiny new coat on the receiver, matte black barrel (except for the solder around the lug which does not take blue. That can be darkened with a magic marker if it's too "distinctive"), new recoil pad. It's got a typical overbore at .676" and Full choke measures .034" of constriction. I shot a round of Trap with it after completion, just to make sure all the parts were back in place. They are.

Asking $300 or best offer, plus shipping. Pictures as soon as I get on with another hosting site to post them!

Kirk

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am  Reply with quote

Last edited by kgb on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:02 am  Reply with quote

Details

Last edited by kgb on Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:09 am  Reply with quote

All in bright light, may look a little washed out in some pics. The scar was straight up from the trigger, a diagonal mark running to the edge of the receiver flat.

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 4:09 pm  Reply with quote

Frank price drop, $275, shipping included. Evaluation shooting allowed when received, ought to be, since I shot a round of Trap with it last week--good for the goose.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:31 am  Reply with quote

Final drop, $250 shipped. Nothing operationally wrong with the gun, just thinning the herd.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Sold pending acceptance. Thanks for looking!