16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Need powder & wad recommendation- 2 1/2" roll crimp
the possum
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:09 pm  Reply with quote

Hey there, guys. I've been lurking here for a long time, and finally have a reason to post. I recently acquired an old German Drilling 16 ga with 2 1/2" chambers in great shape, and would like to take it afield for dove and quail.

I had been planning to buy such a gun for years, so I've already acquired some stuff I knew I'd need. I have on hand:

2 1/2" Cheddite hulls
Cheddite primers
A bunch of nickel plated shot
Roll crimping tool from Ballistic products, & a drill press
Lee load-all 16 gauge reloader
Separate powder measure & scale I already have for rifle & pistol
Lots of load data spreadsheets from the 16 Gauge reloading group

I do not have wads yet, and have not settled on a powder.

Now that I finally have a reason to dig into the load data, I'm sorta being hit with information overload, and in some cases I'm not sure if they're talking about 2 1/2" or 2 3/4" loads, roll crimp or star crimp, etc.

I would like to use 1 oz (or maybe even 1 1/8 oz) loads at modest pressure & velocity, and had planned on roll crimping. I do already have a shelf full of powders for other things, and possible candidates include HS-6, Longshot, Red Dot, and Unique. I'm not totally opposed to buying a different powder for this, but if I could use one I already keep on hand, it would be great.

What wad and powder would you recommend for this specific use & components I already have?
skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:15 pm  Reply with quote

Hello the possum
and welcome on your first posting
I also shoot a 2 1/2 " 16 gauge drilling.

Mine is a 16x16x8x57IR

Yours is steel barreled and nitro proofed?

I don't roll crimp for it but pie crimp but only use 7/8 ounce wads and it has proven very effective on targets and game alike

Again, Welcome
Mike

the possum
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, skeettx, and that's a nice lookin' gun! Mine is a nitro proofed hammer gun (love the rounded actions) with a 9.3x72R barrel. I always wanted one for quail hunting, in case a coyote popped outta the brush.
the possum
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:52 am  Reply with quote

In the interim, I've been poring over load data and googling, and have some potential loads I'd like to run past the group. Some of these might have even been posted by you guys on other forums.

From the 16 ga reloading group tables:

Cheddite 2 1/2", 1 oz of shot, Longshot: 18.0 grns, Win 209 primer, BP SG-16 wad, 1200 fps, 7,270 psi, from Precision

It did not specify whether this was roll crimped or star crimped. I guess I could make it work either way, but does anyone here know which one they're talking about? And would Cheddite primers vs Winchester be enough of a difference to get me in trouble?

Here is a load I found on another forum:
Quote:
Using Cheddite and Federal hulls, Winchester 209 primers ...and for 1 ounce loads I use 19.5 grains of Unique and the Gualandi 1618 wad. Both are in the 1150 fps MV range and chamber pressures are sub 9K. I'm pretty much old school so I trim my hulls to 2 9/16th inches and roll crimp. I think BPI sells the Gualandi 1621 wad as the SG16L.

After looking around, I believe the Gualandi 1621 wad is actually the SG16 at BPI:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/SG16-Sporting-16ga-wads-250_bag/productinfo/072SG16/ And again, would Winchester primers vs. Cheddite cause a problem?

Out of the two, I like the first load with Longshot since it is lower pressure, but again I'd like to know about the crimp before hand. [/url]
fn16ga
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:27 am  Reply with quote

For 1 oz I would go with the Unique load
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

the possum wrote:
In the interim, I've been poring over load data and googling, and have some potential loads I'd like to run past the group. Some of these might have even been posted by you guys on other forums.

From the 16 ga reloading group tables:

Cheddite 2 1/2", 1 oz of shot, Longshot: 18.0 grns, Win 209 primer, BP SG-16 wad, 1200 fps, 7,270 psi, from Precision

It did not specify whether this was roll crimped or star crimped. I guess I could make it work either way, but does anyone here know which one they're talking about? And would Cheddite primers vs Winchester be enough of a difference to get me in trouble?

Here is a load I found on another forum:
Quote:
Using Cheddite and Federal hulls, Winchester 209 primers ...and for 1 ounce loads I use 19.5 grains of Unique and the Gualandi 1618 wad. Both are in the 1150 fps MV range and chamber pressures are sub 9K. I'm pretty much old school so I trim my hulls to 2 9/16th inches and roll crimp. I think BPI sells the Gualandi 1621 wad as the SG16L.

After looking around, I believe the Gualandi 1621 wad is actually the SG16 at BPI:
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/SG16-Sporting-16ga-wads-250_bag/productinfo/072SG16/ And again, would Winchester primers vs. Cheddite cause a problem?

Out of the two, I like the first load with Longshot since it is lower pressure, but again I'd like to know about the crimp before hand. [/url]

I might be wrong in this assumption, and if I am someone will surely correct me Wink, but when looking at 16ga data I assume that it is a 6pt crimp unless otherwise stated.

All but the very low pressure loads can be sealed with a roll crimp substitution which will result in about a 500 psi drop in pressure per my gathering here and other sources. Hope that helps...
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:42 pm  Reply with quote

As for primer substitutions, check this out for a bit of insight:

http://www.armbrust.acf2.org/primersubs.htm
sharps4590
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:55 am  Reply with quote

I believe you'll enjoy your drilling. 16's are great and the old 9.3 X 72R is a pretty decent rifle cartridge. Ordinarily the 9.3 X 72R is a great cast bullet shooter.

I use the standard 1 oz., 2 1/2 dr. eq. 16 bore load in all 3 of my drillings and it's worked fine for many years. Only exception is the one drilling that is not Nitro proofed so it gets an actual 2 1/2 dr. of 2F with the traditional wad column in brass hulls. My one combination gun is not Nitro proofed and it gets the same load. Unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible, the only difference between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 loads is the crimp and obviously the strength of the gun they're intended for. As you mentioned you intend to do I have always used fairly light loads in mine.

Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools. Romans 1:22

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:10 am  Reply with quote

the Longshot load is excellent I use Ched primers with it. Longshot is a very useful powder for 16 ga loads good to have on hand

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:06 am  Reply with quote

byrdog wrote:
the Longshot load is excellent I use Ched primers with it. Longshot is a very useful powder for 16 ga loads good to have on hand

+1. This is my standard 2.5" roll crimped load. You could easily bump that up to 19 or 20grains to make up for the reduction in pressure from roll crimping.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

sharps4590 wrote:
I believe you'll enjoy your drilling. 16's are great and the old 9.3 X 72R is a pretty decent rifle cartridge. Ordinarily the 9.3 X 72R is a great cast bullet shooter.

I use the standard 1 oz., 2 1/2 dr. eq. 16 bore load in all 3 of my drillings and it's worked fine for many years. Only exception is the one drilling that is not Nitro proofed so it gets an actual 2 1/2 dr. of 2F with the traditional wad column in brass hulls. My one combination gun is not Nitro proofed and it gets the same load. Unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible, the only difference between 2 1/2 and 2 3/4 loads is the crimp and obviously the strength of the gun they're intended for. As you mentioned you intend to do I have always used fairly light loads in mine.

Nice thing about shooting cast bullets is that they are a heck of a lot cheaper than any of the commercial 9.3 projos. That, and the old 9.3x72R was made pretty much with cast bullets in mind.