16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  P-W progressives
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:45 am  Reply with quote

Not sure I've asked this before, but how many here use a P-W progressive loader for their 16s?

byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:48 am  Reply with quote

I have a 9000 and a 600 use them for target loads. Originally bought the 9000 for dove loads for me and my 2 sons when I lived in AZ.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:02 am  Reply with quote

I have used the PW single stage press for 12,16,20,28 and 410 for many years. They are a solid machine and work great. 20 years ago a used press was about $150 so I purchased a press for each gauge so I didn't need to readjust when changing gauges. Some presses even came with more than one set of tools and even extra heads. I don't see them at gun shows very often any more. When I do the prices are over $200. It makes sense when the new ones(single stage) are over $400. Progressive presses are much more costly but are great machines.

Ron
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:14 am  Reply with quote

I use a PW 600 Mult-O-Matic but it is set-up only for 12 ga 2 3/4". I have a 3" die for it so I can run one shell at a time through it for 12 ga 3". However for other loading (16,20,410) I use a PW 375 single station. So to precisely answer your question, no I don't use a PW progressive for loading 16 ga.
byrdog
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:54 pm  Reply with quote

I often check E-Bay for PW machines and usually they run 250 to 350 But they are older machines their tooling is the older style nontaper type. A kit is available in each ga other than 10 that converts the older machines to the taper crimp, The kit is $100.00 plus ship. So when adding that to the prices the used loaders they can be almost as costly as a new machine, or even more.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:18 pm  Reply with quote

Have a pw progressive in 16 I found off of ebay years ago.

I do not use it much now. When I did I found it necessary to stick to one hull type and load and once tuned it worked well. It was alittle frustrating to get it right,

If you change loads alot not an ideal tool.

kgb
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Michael, mine has run 1oz loadings in 12ga using Remington and Winchester with one combination and Federal hulls with another just changing wads and powder bushing. I think I lucked out with those particular combinations. As a 16 mine has run best With Win/Cheddite hulls and the 1621 wad.
Did you find a progressive 16ga that cleared up the problems of changing loads you encountered with the P-W?

For owners of any progressive press, P-W emphasizes consistent, positive operation as a key to uniform results. Do the others stress this importance for their products? If so, have you found them to actually be so sensitive in your experience?

RLR390
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:59 am  Reply with quote

Used PW progressives for years but when Spolar came on the market I bought one and have never looked back. Much happier with the Spolar.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:46 am  Reply with quote

http://www.spolargold.com/prices.htm

and YES 16 gauge conversion is available for $400

RLR390
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:39 pm  Reply with quote

Spolar didn't have the 16 ga dies for many years but finally did come out with it. Probably got tired of me asking and finally made it available!
old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:20 pm  Reply with quote

In response to KGB

“Did you find a progressive 16ga that cleared up the problems of changing loads you encountered with the P-W? “

I did find the PW a good option. I found that 16ga hulls vary in height and different wad and load size further vary. Like you I eventually went to the Win/Cheddite as my choice for the PW Progressive and the 1oz load. Once I got the crimps adjusted (after a box of shells or so) I found I could consistently produce beautifully crimped reloads.

“For owners of any progressive press, P-W emphasizes consistent, positive operation as a key to uniform results. Do the others stress this importance for their products?

Yes I agree consistent positive operation is key to good results. I have often thought of purchasing the Spolar Auto Drive for my loader, but I simply do not envision the volume to really take advantage of it.

If so, have you found them to actually be so sensitive in your experience?”

I found it sensitive but by use of the same load once adjusted it worked great.

kgb
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:48 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, Michael, I suspected what I see is typical. Three combinations have run well for me, Remington hulls with R16 or SP16 wads, Winchester CF with WAA16 and Cheddite as stated, in either 2.5" or 2.75". Interrupting/pausing the process to add a filler poses no problem, and short shells require the wad guide be held down during the seating process. I visited with a friend north of Shreveport who had added a hydraulic mechanism to his P-W and was missing the very tip of one finger for the trouble. As disaster prone as I can be, I'll stay with the stick shift.

Kirk

3crosses
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:56 am  Reply with quote

So you don't have any problems with PW flattening case mouths when ejecting 3/4 oz loads?
byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:14 am  Reply with quote

If that is happening the die needs to be cleaned and polished on the inside. Or get the newer style tapered crimp kit, like a 375-C has

kgb
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:17 am  Reply with quote

Can't join in on the finger pointing at the poor-cleaning habits of others, for my setup a good cleaning made no difference in resistant ejection from the dies. What did make a difference was purchase and use of a MEC Supersizer.