16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Purple hulls and reload recipes
John A.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm  Reply with quote

I know that Federal used purple hulls, and I've also heard that herters also uses purple hulls.

Are they the same hull other than the name on the side or are they different?

Looking for some recipe's.

I have some tightgroup, longshot, clays that I use in a lot of my other shogun loads.

I have about 5 or 6 bags of SP16 wads. At this time, those are the only wads that I do have so I expect they'll work the best in the Rem hulls (?)

The various brands of hulls that I have on hand consists of several boxes of *unfired* Remington game loads and Remington Express.

Several boxes of Federal (purple)

and some old Winchester superx

and a case of Rio 6 shot. I bought the Rio a few years back because it was cheap but I don't know of any load data for them so I unsure if those hulls are even worth loading or where to find data for them.

I just need to find out some data for some decent hunting loads. My old stevens with a modified choke has always done well with 6 shot and high brass loads.

The old western field/nobel, I haven't really did a lot of testing for it yet so I don't know which direction to go with it yet, but that's part of the fun of having a new gun so you can find what it likes and don't like.

Thanks in advance for any any pointers and help.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

You will find a WEALTH of loading data if you join the

FREE Yahoo group

http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/reloading16gauge/

Last edited by skeettx on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
John A.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

looked really hard to navigate.
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

VERY easy to navigate
Once you sign up and Oldhunter
approves you.
You just click on FILES
Choose either the loads , or non-tox loads, or powder file
and then a normal
excel file with tabs at the bottom will open
EASY-PEASY
Mike
John A.
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:38 pm  Reply with quote

I registered. Not sure how long it'll take. But thank you.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:42 pm  Reply with quote

30 second google search and found this:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=439796

The loading group data is really easy, as it is sorted by powder in one of the spreadsheets.

Not sure there's much titegroup data out there for 16 ga. Clays I believe is better for lighter loads in 16ga, so not a great match for your wads without a filler...
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:54 pm  Reply with quote

Be advised powder migration is an issue with longshot and straight wall hulls.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:37 pm  Reply with quote

You mean "Leakshot"? I am pre flaring the cups on another bag of wads tonight. A pain, but it solves the problem. The only reason I bother is because as much as I hate to admit, my best patterning 1 1/8 oz. loads have come from using 24 grains of the stuff pushing a CB0100-16 (Win style) wads.

John A.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:03 pm  Reply with quote

Are the purple federal and the purple herters hulls the same?

Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:05 pm  Reply with quote

Not at all. The Federal hulls have a paper/fiber basewad, the cheddite have a plastic basewad. However they are both straight wall hulls with similar volumes.

On another thread of yours on the Rio, DogChaser talks about how most of these s/w hulls are similar enough in volume to be possibly interchangeable if you are not loading up against the limits, say moderate 1oz and 7/8oz loads. I agree with him on that. Caveat of course being that you have studied enough loads/data-points around what you're loading that you make a reasonable choice with a few support points nearby, but as DogChaser says one look at the reloading spreadsheet data will show you there is a lot of similarity in most s/w loads. His post there is more detailed.

Now at higher performance levels, the hulls react different, or maybe a better way to say it is their slight differences become more important. I'm working on 1oz 1500fps steel shot loads for 16ga, and the Federal hulls give you a good drop in pressure vs. the cheddite hulls, making these loads possible, while the cheddites have given me just over-pressure on tests.
byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:51 am  Reply with quote

Dave
what powder are you thinking of for the 1500 load?

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:59 pm  Reply with quote

Byrdog,

Steel powder. Somewhere last Oct or so I posted a thread on some results. Cheddite hull gave me 1476 fps and 11777 psi... juuuust over. Honestly I'd shoot it myself, but wouldn't post that one. But the Federal hulls give less pressure and you can bump the powder up 1 gr I think. I've still got 12 of them sitting in a load block I can see right now, waiting to send in to confirm, but have been lazy on the UPS because my local place rejected ammo so I have to drive downtown grrr... 16gaWaterfowler (BT) has a 1oz 1500fps load he says, which I believe is what I've got loaded up sitting here waiting to test, but I've never seen his recipe/test info, more just from PMs and posts really with some clues in them.

However, I am thinking LilGun now... in 20ga I certainly get better speeds at 1oz loads with LilGun, steel shot I mean, so I'm thinking 16ga might give the same gains. With steel powder 16ga, right now I'm either at 410gr and 1500fps, or 437gr and 1400 fps.

In 20ga 3" hull with #3 steel I'm getting 437 gr and 1455 fps fold crimped, or 1485 fps rolled... lilgun. So with the 16ga I'm thinking I should be able to get a full 1 oz to 1485 at least with LilGun. I've just got one old 1935 Mod 12 16ga gun though, but 5 20ga guns which my kids are using too, so it's been hard to keep my 16ga steel shot enthusiasm up. Especially since I bought 30 lbs of very nice bismuth from Rotometals for $15.30 /lb or so, which is just perfect for the older 16ga.

Sorry for the thread drift! Wink
John A.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:25 pm  Reply with quote

Dave in AZ, Thank you for the reply.

I apologize for the delayed response. For some reason, email notifications were going to my spam box, but I have fixed that now.

I hadn't planned on loading to the max.

If anything, I prefer typically lower pressure shells (low brass, field, low recoil, handicap shells), though I do like 1 1/8 oz payloads.

Most of my hunting is well within 40 yards. And smaller animals. Squirrel, rabbit, turkey, occasional possum or raccoon, feral cat.

I don't need nitro magnum velocities. 1250 fps is plenty for what I do.

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 12:55 pm  Reply with quote

John A. wrote:
Are the purple federal and the purple herters hulls the same?

Generally speaking, hulls w/ compressed paper base wads (Federals and some Estate hulls) or compressed fiber base wads (older Remington hulls) develop less pressure and usually, somewhat lower velocities than those w/ flat plastic base wads if the same powder charges are used.