16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Need Combo Gun...soon
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

It looks like we "need" a combo gun for blacktail deer hunting this season with bonus grouse in NW timber country. Local practice is centerfire rifle shot to the head for grouse but we have no appetite for that.

Preferred gun is 16 ga X 8mm which are frequently on the market, but most are a bit upscale for us. Drillings are more common but we are talking looong walks (previous outing was 11 miles) with hundreds of feet elevation, and anything over 8 lbs is a non starter.

One option is a slug in the top barrel of the 16 ga Citori, but our past field experience with slugs on deer has ranged from dismal to horrid.

More practical are Valmet and Finnclassic combo guns which are 12 ga, and the Savage 24 with 20ga X 30-30.

Any other options, e.g., barrel inserts, out there?

TIA
Brewster

Last edited by Brewster11 on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:03 pm  Reply with quote

A Cape Gun sounds like it'd be ideal. This is a little pricey for condition, but something along these lines would be perfect.
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/708858202
Brewster11
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

Thanks, very cool possibilities with the Cape Gun concept. Compact lightweight design, and hammers provide instant positive barrel selection. Maybe that's why they liked them down there.

That particular specimen looks like it was pushed through the brush every step of the way between S Africa and here.

Thanks,

B.
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

Here's a range of guns. The 20 ga. 30-30 is interestingly inexpensive:
go to gunsinternational.com and search "Cape Guns"
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

You know I often thought about combo guns

BUT why would anyone want to wreck a perfectly good grouse/quail hunt by shooting and cleaning a little deer Smile

Mike

Riflemeister
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:25 am  Reply with quote

This is an interesting concept, but it would have to be one of those Florida deer to fit in the game pouch of my bird vest.

fn16ga
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am  Reply with quote

https://www.gunsamerica.com/994711042/Beautiful-1930-Combination-Gun-16ga-over-8x57-Excellent-Original-Condition.htm

this one my still be for sale

http://www.16ga.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17556
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Somewhat confusing, but for $400 someone can make their Merkel O/U (12? 16?) into a cape gun with this barrel set.
https://www.gunsamerica.com/935545729/Merkel-12ga-O-U-barrel-set-from-a-7-65x16ga-Cape-Gun.htm
Carlos
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:15 pm  Reply with quote

My utility gun is a BRNO model 304, 7 x 57R over 12 gauge witha Zeiss (Jena) 4x scope. I also have a valmet .222rem under 12 ga, and two Husqvarna cape guns with 16 ga (2 1/2") and one in 12.7 X 44R, and the other in .360 Express. Only the Brno is practical for me, and is always available as a spare gun.
cowdoc87
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:27 pm  Reply with quote

Under 7 lbs, ic choked, and 9.3 would stop a NW bear! (No connection to seller )

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/rifles-german-austrian-sporting/august-schuler-waffenfabrik-suhl-herkules-action-over-under-combination-gun-in-16ga-over-9-3x74r.cfm?gun_id=100931134

16'er
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

Another lot to peruse:

https://www.simpsonltd.com/collections/drillings-and-combo
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 am  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:
Under 7 lbs, ic choked, and 9.3 would stop a NW bear! (No connection to seller )

http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/rifles/rifles-german-austrian-sporting/august-schuler-waffenfabrik-suhl-herkules-action-over-under-combination-gun-in-16ga-over-9-3x74r.cfm?gun_id=100931134

I'd be real careful about anything that is said to chamber the 9.3x74R. That's because the "standard" German rifle cartridge for drillings and cape guns was, for a long time, the 9.3 x 72R. The 9.3x72R is a lower-pressure cartridge that came out sometime around or just before 1900 and was originally loaded with black powder. It pushes a honking big projectile (in the 300 grain range) at a moderate velocity, causing good hunting results on most game.

On the other hand, the 9.3x74R is a more recent invention and operates at a much higher pressure. It was intended for more dangerous game, including African hunting. It is commonly found in newer double rifles, but not in a lot of drillings or combo guns.

The action of a 9.3x72R driling or combination gun will likely NOT be strong enough to contain a 9.3x74R fired through it (and that's looking past the inevitable higher pressure to be caused by using a rifle cartridge 2 mm longer than the chamber).

Moreover, each of those 9.3 rounds is both hard to obtain here in the States and, when you do find some, costs about $3 each time it goes bang. (I originally typed "goes bank" ... Freudian slip.)

If you want a combo gun, I would go to Simpson's and look at their selection. They have a good, broad choice of drillings and O/U combo guns. The BRNO and Valmet/Tikka O/U combos they offer are probably the best dollar/gun values. I bought a nice drilling from them last year - 16x16x 8x57R. Mine came with a Zeiss-Jena scope matched to the gun (and already sighted in!). Chances are you'll wind up wanting to reload for the rifle because the rimmed cartridges are kinda thin on the ground and spendy, though not as bad as the 9.3s. If I had a choice, I would probably rather go with a 16x16x 7x57R simply because there are more 7mm bullets to choose from. But I'm also a lefty and that means I had to either go with the 8x57R or wait another 20 or 30 years for a gun set up for a lefty to come along.

Occasionally, combo guns or drillings where the rifle barrel is chambered in .30-30 do show up. They tend to not last long on the market.

Also, keep in mind that the shorter shotgun barrels you'll find on the combination guns and drillings may have a tendency to throw patterns that are not as perfect as those from longer barrels. So, try for something 24 inches or longer if you can get it.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:32 pm  Reply with quote

cowdoc87 wrote:

I looked over this add, and in the title it says 9.3x74R, further down in the add, it says 9.3x57R.

Might want to check with this fellow and see which it is. Big difference.

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Brewster11
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:39 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/994711042/Beautiful-1930-Combination-Gun-16ga-over-8x57-Excellent-Original-Condition.htm

Thanks fn16ga, it's in our hands, all 6 1/2 lbs of it. Now all we have to do is figure out whether its a I-bore or S-bore, no markings to indicate. Will slug it in the next day or so to find out.
67galaxie
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:17 pm  Reply with quote

Nice drilling on doublegunshop right now. It's tempting