16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  heavy loads in 16g
harkom
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:46 am  Reply with quote

Further to the thread started by "castnblast" regarding excessive pressure in heavier loads for the 16G, has anybody got experience of using IMR 4227 in this application?

My query is prompted by seeing some heavy 20G load data using 4227 - giving good velocity with relatively low pressure - in an old Lyman manual.

Any advice or comments appreciated.

Harkom.
skeettx
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:15 am  Reply with quote

Why, if you need HEAVY loads, use a bigger gauge

castnblast
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am  Reply with quote

Cause it's too far back to the truck when you are killing quail in Nebraska and your setter goes on point in a plum thicket. Much easier to slip in a 1 1/4 oz number 5 for that rooster.
byrdog
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:44 am  Reply with quote

4227 is hard to light in any thing larger than 20ga. I use 2400 in some 16ga HEVISHOT goose loads. Skeetx is correct I should just use a 12ga and I usually use a 10.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:02 am  Reply with quote

skeetx / Byrdog ... 20 and 12's just don't fit in a 16 if that's what you got !! Embarassed Embarassed

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:16 pm  Reply with quote

This thread is complete nonsense, keep up the good work! Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
pbeaver
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:17 pm  Reply with quote

I have not loaded any heavy 16s, but I have heard good things about longshot. You don't need a load that heavy to cleanly take a pheasant. Have you considered buying a box of factory ammo for this purpose? Maybe Fiocci Golden Pheasant.

Phil
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:37 am  Reply with quote

Those really slow powders can be a bitch to lite up as BD said . The Tom Roster 28ga load of HEVI with 296 powder seems to be pretty good with the hot primers . When you either lighten the shot load or go to a Medium primer , about 1/2 the loads were bloopers . So if you think it could work , you have to really study it and send some for testing .... come on Dale , you have to have a little fun !! Cool Embarassed

jschultz
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:55 am  Reply with quote

castnblast wrote, "Much easier to slip in a 1 1/4 oz number 5 for that rooster."

Over the last 40 + years I've shot pheasant with SxS's using 1 oz of #6 shot in my Imp. Cyl. barrel and 1 1/8 oz loads of #5 1/2 shot in my Mod barrel.

A long time ago the above loads were shot from a pair of 20 Ga. SxS's and within the last 12 years a 16 Ga. SxS using the same weight of ejecta and at no time have I felt under gunned.

Bottom line: Ya don't need 1 1/4 to kill pheasant.
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:41 pm  Reply with quote

Here is a little 16 Gauge heavy load story....

Back in 2001 I decided that I needed a 1 1/4 oz. #5 load for pheasant hunting in NE and I would use it as the 3rd shot in my 1100. The first 2 loads have always been 1 1/8 oz. #6. In 2015 I counted that I had used 4 of the 1 1/4 oz. loads, two of those times I needed the last shot for a double on roosters. The other two were Hail Mary shots that never touched anything. I still load three shells in my 1100 but I am back to 3 - 1 1/8 oz. loads of #6's.

In the spring of 2017 I decided to use the 1 1/4 oz. #5 loads to kill spring turkeys....I finally found a good use for those heavy loads, 'cause it certainly wasn't needed to kill pheasants.

Will the 16 handle 1 1/4 oz. loads? Without a doubt. Would I criticize a guy for using them? No........but you definitely don't need them for pheasants.

Cheyenne08
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

16gaDavis wrote:
Those really slow powders can be a bitch to lite up as BD said . The Tom Roster 28ga load of HEVI with 296 powder seems to be pretty good with the hot primers . When you either lighten the shot load or go to a Medium primer , about 1/2 the loads were bloopers . So if you think it could work , you have to really study it and send some for testing .... come on Dale , you have to have a little fun !! Cool Embarassed

I have as little fun as anybody! Wink Wink Wink

Dale

...Andrew Jackson...
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm  Reply with quote

Dogchaser37 wrote:

In the spring of 2017 I decided to use the 1 1/4 oz. #5 loads to kill spring turkeys....I finally found a good use for those heavy loads, 'cause it certainly wasn't needed to kill pheasants.

Gotta call BS on this. Everyone one knows you need 2+oz of super high density shot to kill a turkey.😜

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
pumpgun
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

I've shot 1 1/4 oz. #4 Fed and Win. factory loads on phez. and turkeys. 1260 fps is the listed velocity. I found that they patterned well, killed birds, and recoil wasn't noticeably worse than 1 1/8 oz. 1300 fps loads out of a 6.75# Citori or model 12. I definitely wouldn't want to shoot a whole box of them on clays. If I handload them, I wouldn't want to drive them much past 1250 fps; I think the pattern would deteriorate significantly past that mark. Blue dot/longshot and Alliant Steel are good options. I played around with H110/296 in 28g with 1oz loads; they were wildly inconsistant, and patterns were terrible.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

I'm as guilty as anyone about using the mags . Used to use them all the time for foxes . Developed the super mag just to say we got one . Know what the recoil etc does after 3 eye episodes from shooting . However , am trying to stay with the OP and get him an answer , not an opinion . You just have to do a lot of research and see if that type powder works . Sometimes you can go way be in the web here and stumble onto something you can try . Found some god awful /old 30-40 stuff once that was totally off the wall , but was probably completely useable .

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:47 am  Reply with quote

I guess I am at a loss here. 1 1/4 oz. loads in a 16 are no big deal.

Longshot, Blue Dot and I would imagine Pro Reach will handle that payload just fine. The data is already there.

What is all the hand wringing about?

IMR4227 is probably not a good way to go. It is tough to light off reliably for this application and you probably would have to use a duplex powder load to accomplish the task.