16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Ithaca Lefever A Grade
16'er
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:09 pm  Reply with quote

Was looking at a few doubles today, one was an Ithaca Lefever A Grade. It had a straight English style stock, not the usual Ithaca style shallow pistol grip. Was this a factory stock, I can’t recall seeing a straight grip on an Ithaca double before?

Thanks.
Researcher
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

Factory righteous straight grips on Ithaca NIDs and Lefever A-Grades do exist, but they are pretty darn scarce. The "factory" straight grips I've seen on Lefever A-Grades were on Model 6 Skeet Guns.

16'er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:48 pm  Reply with quote

Any thoughts on what thisgun might be reasonably worth?

It hadn’t been priced yet, as it just came in with a half dozen true LeFevers. I’d say it was 85-90% condition. It had the border engraving, but nothing fancy. Being in a hurry, didn’t have a long time to look it over, sorry. Pointed well for me, but weight was a tad over my personal 6.25# rule, I’d say 6.5-6.75. Looked like 26” barrels.
16'er
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:07 pm  Reply with quote

Possibly a two barrel set...
16'er
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

Went back today, gun sold Saturday. I was not able to go back earlier, oh well. Apparently it was a 20 ga two barrel set. One set was 3” chambers. Went for $1300. Was a bit heavy for me anyway, now I know it was a 20, I feel fine about missing it...
gunut
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:04 pm  Reply with quote

if original 85/90% one barrel....$1300 is half price....if a 2 barrel set....3200/3500....ejectors/single trigger....add some more.. you missed not a deal but a steal.....sorry

Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:23 pm  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Went back today, gun sold Saturday. I was not able to go back earlier, oh well. Apparently it was a 20 ga two barrel set. One set was 3” chambers. Went for $1300. Was a bit heavy for me anyway, now I know it was a 20, I feel fine about missing it...

IMO, unless it was a factory straight grip, you didn't really miss out on not getting it. The few I've seen sell in the last 5 or 6 years have all been in the $900-$1500 range for 20ga guns in good to vg condition. No where near $2500/$2600. If the extra set of barrels was chambered for 3" shells, good chance they are not shootable now. Researcher would certainly know better but I'm pretty sure they were never chambered for a 3" load.

If you're still interested in a 20ga A grade, this would be a good one to satisfy that itch...
http://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/lefever-shotguns/lefever-a-grade-20-gauge.cfm?gun_id=100950028

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
gunut
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

I posted the estimate of the value of the gun being "as described" ...and being all original....the link you post is about a 80% gun and the price is more than fair if the chokes he listed are original...should say on the barrel flats.....that the seller has conveniently omitted from the nice array of pictures.... Wink

BTW...have seen 3 sell for in the 2400-2600 range in the last 5 or so years on gunbroker.....all 3 were 90/95% 20ga guns....all were listed as original but one of the 3 had redone barrels....don't think the buyer realized that....