16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Marlin Model 90- Steel Shot
Upland Carpenter
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:53 am  Reply with quote

For the Model 90 fans here, how many of you would use steel loads in your guns?

On another forum I frequent, one of the posters inquired about the use of steel in his Model 90. Several have replied that they would but none of them actually own a Model 90. I don't own one, and wouldn't use steel if I did, but I'm curious as to what actual owners of the guns would do. Thanks.

Marcus

''Common Sense isn't common" -Lefty Kreh
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:38 pm  Reply with quote

I certainly wouldn't,that's why they make Bismuth. I don't own one but like vintage guns and have one (a sxs)with a score in the forcing cone that was used with steel before I got it.
4setters
PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:07 pm  Reply with quote

I've never shot steel in mine, primarily because it is choked M/F (as best I can tell from patterning and measurements) and because I have other newer guns rated for steel. If my Ranger (Marlin 90) was IC/M I might consider it, as I have shot a fair amount of steel in Model 37 Ithacas and other older pump guns with open/moderately open chokes with no problems.

Tight chokes on older guns seem to me to be the primary consideration here. I certainly wouldn't intentionally shoot steel through a full or improved modified choke, particularly in an older gun. And most older guns are tightly choked!

One duck season in the 90s, I wondered why I was either missing ducks or pole-axing them with a Bennelli Model 90 12g and steel, until I figured out that it still had my full choke tube in it from turkey season! Ouch!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:37 am  Reply with quote

4Setters is right. A typical Marlin model 90 if it has a 28" bbl/s is choked mod & full.
If it's 26" bbls then it's choked I.C. & Mod. Definitely would not be wise to shoot steel through the full choke. Mine is a 28.

PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 am  Reply with quote

I would not shoot steel in my Pre-War Ranger. (Mod 90)
I have some Kent Bismuth, for the limited duck adventures with this gun.
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:01 am  Reply with quote

Mine is also a 28" M\F. My answer is no anyways because I hate steel shot. Bismuth isn't that much more money and a lot more effective. With steel shot I learned from the dentist that the bad news is a crown is $1,200. When he went to do it the tooth finished cracking and he told me the good news is an extraction is only $400. I hate steel for more reasons than one.
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:08 am  Reply with quote

Nope, wouldn’t do it. I’ve got a 26” gun, but the ic/mod is on the tight side. Plus the later guns like mine don’t have the full joining rib between the barrels, just the short section at the muzzle. Short forcing cones, metallurgy of receiver, and the fact there only a limited number of them out there. Most of them have been well used throughout their lifetime. I don’t see an upside to running a steel load in one.

If you have a nice one, and it’s your only gun, sell it. They are worth enough now to almost pick up a new 16ga bps from the profits and you can shoot steel just fine.
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:23 am  Reply with quote

Mine still had cosmoline (or such) all over it when purchased. Tight but wood fit is not great.