16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  there here
525field
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:24 pm  Reply with quote

holy cow our little town is being overrun i had to waite in line for gas, there are no birds in kansas just keep going north trust me Embarassed
the weather should be a little on the warm side for sat. getting things together had the dog to the vet for a checkup and she is ready to go
hope you all have a safe and great day in the field
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:01 pm  Reply with quote

It's that time of year--those who live where there are no birds are flocking to places where they are Twisted Evil
fin2feather
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Yep; I once got into a "discussion" with a dipwad from Georgia on another board. He maintained that Kansas has no landscape, no culture, no good food..in short, pretty much nothing. However, he later let slip that he comes here every year for the bird hunting. I invited him to stay home; doubt it did any good Mad !

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:06 am  Reply with quote

Fin: they call those folks 'goobers' down in 'Jaw-jaa' and he still probably has some issues over the 'War of Northern Aggression.' Wink Maybe some Jayhawkers riding with Sherman burned his mamma's place?

Last edited by revdocdrew on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

TJC
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:34 pm  Reply with quote

Last time I was in Kansas (3 or 4 yrs ago) there were certainly a bunch of pheasants running around. Smile That was in Norton, Kansas, 6 miles south of Nebraska. We did remove a "few" to bring home with us. Wink

Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:46 pm  Reply with quote

Heading west from Kansas City there is some real pretty country at least as far as Salina. My daughter is at K-State but I think most of the food there is poured from a can. I did have some real good beef broth and jello at KU-Med Center. The best bbq I have ever had was at Oklahoma Joe's in Kansas City KS.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Mattkcc:

How is the back? Getting around any better? Criminal law students behaving?

Will you get to go pheasant hunting?

Dr. 16 Gauge
Mattkcc
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:02 pm  Reply with quote

Hey bustingclays the back's doing pretty good but not ready for driving to western KS to chase birds. I keep telling my daughter she needs to find a farmboy with a big spread so he can invite me to go pheasant hunting. No luck there she is sticking to city boys. Heck it's the least she could do why do you think I sent her to go to school in KS in the first place. Most of my CJ students are doing ok but I had one ask me the other day if her felony record would affect her getting a job in law enforcement.
bustingclays
PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:57 pm  Reply with quote

Hey Mattkcc:

Tell her she can have a city-boy if he has a Grandpa with a big spread in Kansas. maybe going back a generation or two will get you the in.

In regards to the CJ question - go figure. Kids ask the darndest things in the classroom. Mine usually are astounded that I had to have a federal background check to stand up in front of class.

Dr. 16 Gauge
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Fin, I lived in the South for well over a decade. I enjoyed it very much and seemed to fit in with most of the local folks just fine. However, one of the favorite pastimes of many of the plainer southern folks is "Yankee Baiting." I got ribbed a lot for my Northern speech patterns. I would be asked if I wanted a beer just for them to hear me say "BE'-AH" in my best Bostonian drogue. Then they'd all hoot and have a good time saying "BE'-AH" all night. I'd return the favor by drinking their beer and saying things like "Puny" and "Saraday" and "all right I reckon" in my best imitation Mountain twang. Nobody ever seemed to take offense, because we all gave as good as we got and laughed at ourselves more than the other guy. I made a lot of friends there--a few enemies too who could not take as well as give. Those few were generally recognised as A-holes by nearly everybody anyway.

The "Goober" from Jaw-juh was probably just yanking your chain to see if he could get a rise out of you. Apparently, he did. Next time, try posting him a big old grin and ask him how he likes the pheasant hunting in backwater Kansas. He'll probably just post a big old grin right back at you- no offense intended. It's just how some folks from the South play.
fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:23 am  Reply with quote

16GG,

I know a lot of folks from the south, and I'm just an ol' Kansas farm boy myself; not much difference. I'll take all the ribbing good folks want to hand out, and have even been known to give some back on occasion. This particular fellow fancied himself some sort of southern aristocrat; sorry, my BS meter goes off pretty quickly around people like that, no matter where they hail from.

As the good Rev mentioned, he hasn't accepted that the Civil War is over, and his side lost. I think he took exception to my suggestion that we move him and others of like ilk to a state (I made a couple of recommendations) where "all of y'all who want to continue to fight it can play 'we're our own country' to your heart's content."

His following diatribe against Kansas was countered by a number of folks from other states, and I was able to quietly slip away; as is the case with most like him, he did an excellent job of making a fool of himself without my help.

Before my southern friends here jump me, this is by no means an indictment against southerners or the south, just against one particular idiot who could have been from New Jersey for all I cared; he still would have been an idiot.

Fin

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:46 am  Reply with quote

Well, then he must havwe been one of them thar A-holes we all know about. Laughing Actually, when you think about it, the South lost the war but won the peace, or so it seems. Life is good there if a fellow likes hunting and fishing. I know a whole bunch of "Reconstructed Southerners" who have moved out of the northeast over the last 2-1/2 decades. Those folks are generally known as "Damned Yankees." Wink
525field
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

Lived and worked in south florida for 35 years and would never set foot in that state again, I grew up in New Jersey the south end atlantic city and always liked jersey, but the last five years that I have been in Kansas have been the best I think Fin can back me up on this what you see is what you get these folks around here are the best I have ever come across, just a great place to live
Dennis
Engstfeld
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:51 am  Reply with quote

The only time I've ever spend in Kansas is in Liberal, Kansas. I spent about a week there working at a helium refinery. As far as the food went, the best Mexican food I've had in the country could be found there at this restaurant....I forget the name of it. But it was the real deal.
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:29 pm  Reply with quote

Since when has South Florida ever been considered part of the South. It was settled by well to do northerners looking for a place to avoid winter at the turn of the 20th century once the railroad made it to Dade county. Most Florida "Crackers" would not be caught dead in Miami. Homestead, or anywhere south of Frostproof. Wink They get tired of "bluehaired snails," retiree bingo, and the lines at the all you can eat buffets damned quick, as well as all the free advice they get from just about every quick tempered, overstressed, northerner on vacation from some godforsaken city with an opinion on how it should be done. I don't blame them.

I lived and worked in Central Florida. I found most of the native Floridians from there just as easy to get along with as any of my Blueridge friends. Hell, most of them came from Appalachia, So. Carolina, Georgia, etc. to raise cattle on the lush florida plains grass in the early 19th century after the Seminole wars. Same for the native Northwestern Floridians. They are mostly fine folks from any of the gulf coast fishing and shrimping villages who understand the coastal land they live on and appreciate folks who treat it and them with respect. No decent native Floridian wants to hear how its done in MA, NY, NJ, PA, or anywhere else. They have developed their own lifestyles shaped by the land and the society around them.

As far as the folks from the midwest, Most are just fine too, especially the ones not from the big Midwest cities. City life plays hell with all of us including me. Its darned hard to keep your senses focused on reality and maintaining civility when you are constantly rubbing against a crowd of folks, each looking for some elbow room and trying to get to work on time like everyone else trapped in rush hour. Its just human nature I guess. Plus, each American city is like any other American city now that corporate America and mass media are running mainstream American society. There's a Taco Bell in every one and MacDonald's and all the rest of the manditory fast food joints city life requires as well as malls and parking lots etc, etc, etc..

Country folks are just more at ease with themselves and their surroundings. They find a lot of city folks abrasive and abrupt. We city folks get that way from the constant crush. It just happens over time.

However, real country towns all have an individual feel. Each little restaraunt or breakfast and lunch place, each hardware store, or feed and grain store, or sporting goods shop has its own personality. Patience is a prerequisite. So is adopting a polite and easy pace. Speak a bit slower, move a bit slower too. Take your time asking questions and answering them too. Offer no advise about how its done in your native state unless asked. Then be cautious. You might be being sized up. You'll fit right in in no time if you slow down a bit and look around without a preformed opinion or the city attitude you might arrive with. Try leaving it at the airport or at the end of the driveway.

I've seen both sides. I live in the suburbs and commute to the big city, because my profession is based there. It beats starvation and deep debt. However, I'd live in the country if I could make a go of it financially. Ain't going to happen. But, I still retain my hard earned country sensibilities earned in my younger rambling years when I get there, be it rural Northern Maine, the Blueridge, Central Kansas, Texas Hill country, Montana, Arizona, or anywhere in the real South.

I appreciate the folks, the land, and the freedom to stretch out and slow down. As far as amenities, I'm not a gourmet, or an opera buff. A clear cool night under clean skies, a campfire, some "potluck' stew, and warm bread and butter are just fine by me. I'll sleep like a baby provided I don't drink more than one beer and the air mattress stays inflated. Old kidneys don't accomodate a lot of beer any more, and old bones don't take to hard ground either-- but it still beats the alternative. Laughing