16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 Hunting Prospects
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:38 am  Reply with quote

Hello to All--I have a 35 year old son and a 10 year old Lab and we have hunted South Dakota together since 2003, but with limited success last year due to drought and declining bird numbers.. I would like for us to be able to find a quality spot to hunt wild pheasants this fall, as I'm very much afraid that this coming season may be my dog's last real productive year and I want him---us---to enjoy it.

We are prepared to travel--South Dakota, North Dakota, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska---I don't care, but would be really grateful if we could find decent wild bird numbers this year. Due to weather and hatches now in progress, I know it's early, but does anyone have a line on a location/locations or a quality outfitter we could contact where we might have a chance of success? We're experienced bird hunters and walking/shooting are not a problem for us. Thanks for any input.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:24 am  Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I am in no way a wildlife biologist though I do have a extensive Biology background and have been a bird hunter in Kansas for 35 years.

It is really early but I am very concerned about Kansas and Oklahoma for both Pheasants and quail. Pheasants have been pretty spotty the last few years in KS and we are under a significant drought basically statewide this year. There have been some good rains in the last month in Kansas but wheat conditions in large areas are poor and as wheat conditions go so goes Pheasant nesting habitat. My unofficial pheasant crowing count while turkey hunting this year is down but that is just my impression not at all scientific. Quail numbers in KS have been much better in the last few years but the underlying environmental conditions that have contributed to the long term decline are unchanged or worse (the conditions causing the long term declined are highly debatable but I think it is safe to say the quail environment is not getting any better and is very likely getting worse) so I am afraid this has been a temporary reprieve. Sorry to be so downtrodden.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:43 am  Reply with quote

ENG---your reply is much appreciated; we need to know where they may not be so as to focus on where there's a better chance to find 'em; thanks again.

eng-pointer
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Wolfchief,

Send me a PM mid September and I will have a better idea of where to point you.

James

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Between drought and farming practices, it is getting tougher for the birds to survive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if where you hunted in SD last year is still the best place.

There are little nooks in most of the traditional pheasant hunting states where there are birds but........

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:21 pm  Reply with quote

It’s all local and on average a bad day in South Dakota is better than a good day in most places. Good luck finding birds.

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

We love to hunt roosters so we'll continue the search.....