16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  New member saying Hi
berg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:20 pm  Reply with quote

Hi all,
New member, been lurking off and on for a while, finally decided to join up. I've enjoyed reading the posts and learned a bit from them.
I live in northeast Nebraska and love pheasant hunting. I have one 16, a Browning A-5 standard, just bought it recently and haven't had a chance to try it out on pheasants yet. I'm sure it will do the job, but I had to take my dad's Light Twelve out for the opening weekend since it was the first year without him.
Seems like I've wanted a Browning 16 ga. forever, an older cousin showed up at a family Thanksgiving with a brand new shiney Sweet Sixteen when i was about 10 and all of my uncles and cousins stood around oohing and ahhing, really made an impression on me. Fast forward 35+ years and I still don't have a SS but the gun I got is pretty darn nice.
Again, I would like to compliment you guys on this forum.

berg
Brad6260
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:35 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Berg!
sprocket
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:36 pm  Reply with quote

welcome on Berg!

How'd you find the forum?

I ask because I was just sitting on th-, I mean reading Gray's Journal and found an ad for the site here. Very Happy
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome--Let us know how the pheasant season goes---
berg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:39 pm  Reply with quote

Actually, I followed a link over here that someone put in a thread over on Shotgunworld.com.

berg
berg
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:04 pm  Reply with quote

hoashooter,
The pheasant season opened on Oct. 28. We had great weather, family and friends, unfortunately the hunting was pretty darn tough. In this part of the state most of the corn is still in the field, even quite a few bean fields were still standing. Way too many places for the birds to hide. A lot of runners, drove the dogs nuts. We had three shorthairs, a yellow lab and a golden for 8 hunters. covered the fields pretty well and did manage to bring down a few. One uncle and cousin from IL come back every year, and they brought 2 friends with them (one of them had a 16 ga. Citori). My brother and one of his boys came back from western NE. I took a couple of extra days off so that I could hunt more with them, but on Mon. the weather turned worse, wind kicked up to about a sustained 40 mph. As if pheasant hunting in that isn't tough enough, I took them to a place I know for some quail. They actually managed to hit a few. Really it wasn't too bad there. the cedar trees and plum thickets blocked most of the wind.
Didn't get out at all this last weekend, honeydo list got awful long when I took two extra days to hunt the week before.

berg
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:21 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome Berg! We have quite a few "Bergs" that live around here in WI (if that's your last name).

Your 16 gauge A5 should be a tremendous pheasant gun! I have the red haired stepchild, a Remington 11 in 16 gauge, which is an A5 built by Remington, and this old gun is just plain cruel to those roosters.
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:43 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome,

The Standard 16 ga A5 is a great gun, don't knock it! I have both and each is better than the other at somethings.

And you should own both some day. Prices are moderating a bit. A diamond in the rough 2 3/4" chambered SS sold at auction on one of the big sites for $550 today. It needed a little TLC on the wood but will be a great shooter. So don't give up hope on owning a matched set.

Jeff
Highcountry
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:45 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome berg! Pull up your PC and join the fun.

Draht guy
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Welcome, berg. Keep us posted on your hunts and 16 ga. fun.