16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Sterlingworth XE upgrade??
Wingshooter50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:18 pm  Reply with quote

Did Fox ever offer an XE upgrade to the Sterlingworth? I have an opportunity to buy a 16 gauge with XE engraving and 100% case colors. I'm thinking it must have been re-done.

ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:26 pm  Reply with quote

It was redone.

I have one and love it, but yours is only as good as the quality of the redo.

The basic gun is the exact same internally, the only real difference is the forend latching system. Wood quality will differ too. Maybe yours has new wood also. Sterlingworth's had pretty plain wood from the factory.
Wingshooter50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:37 pm  Reply with quote

It has standard wood (which appears to be refinished) with beavertail forearm, 28 inch barrels, extractors, IC/Mod. They are asking $2,800. I have not handled the gun, but I think the price is too high, although it is nice.

old colonel
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:57 pm  Reply with quote

I concur with Romac that it is not a factory upgrade after manufacture. While you could send your gun back for repair to include restocking and additional barrels my review of the McIntosh’s Fox book does not show upgrading engraving as an available option.

That said weird things happen, though very unlikely. The only way it could be proven is to get a letter the holder of the Fox records. Even then I am not sure they have the records on returns for repair etc.

You have to judge the gun on its individual merits as to the quality of the engraving. Depending on how well it is done and the current condition it might be worth that to you.

As Romac states look at the wood to see if the wood was upgraded too. Also consider the dimensions and the balance. Also gauge matters a lot too, 16 and 20 is a plus, 12 is not. Without having the gun in hand it is a big gamble for an internet buy.

JNW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:21 pm  Reply with quote

Mediocre XE engraving costs at least $3500 today, so that gun may be an absolute bargain. If you don't want it let me know.
Jeff
JNW
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, and the E stands for ejectors - would have to be a special order like TRs.
Wingshooter50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

Here are a few pics. What do you think?

[url=https://ibb.co/e9Kekx] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/ePyGXc] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/bYWQQx] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/b3Rs5x] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/bEE1yH] [/url]
[url=https://ibb.co/hnsMyH] [/url]

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

I would say that somebody was doing an upgrade they never finished, probably ran out of money come time buy a custom stock set. If I had the cash I would love to snap that gun up and finish the job.

I suppose I should finish the 5 gun projects and one car project first! I was super tempted by a vent rib 870 16 ga. this week. I always wanted to convert one to Special Field layout. That is a tall order considering what it takes and I can, but the realization of what is already on my plate tempered my enthusiasm.

If you can do the stock set yourself, I would say buy it since true XE guns are pretty expensive; unless you are collecting. Then it would just gather dust anyway.

Wingshooter50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:25 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I need to lay my hands on it (I may not be able to let go) and decide. I suppose a new stock set would be 2 grand or more?

ROMAC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:27 pm  Reply with quote

Well where should I start.

That gun has been worked on but to call it an XE upgrade would be a stretch. XE's had a certain pattern to them. Yours does not look like any XE pattern. They did not even do any filing to shape the receiver and remove the Sterlingworth stamp. The wood is also not original and not Fox like at all. It looks more like a Savage BSE pattern stock. The white line spacer on the grip cap is big a red flag.

Below is a picture of my Sterlingworth XE upgrade. I'm not claiming it is the best upgrade but it is a lot more accurate than the one you are looking at. I'm a lot more discerning at this point in my life, and for all the work they did to that gun they did not add any value to it in my opinion. But hey, if it fits you, you can afford it, and you can shoot it well who am I to say what will float your boat.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Here is what a real XE looks like, by the way. This one is in the heavy style of engraving with the Fox nose down on the bottom.

Last edited by ROMAC on Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:19 am  Reply with quote

Examples of authentic XE engraving on a friend's former 20 gauge XE:

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53497_600x400/] [/URL]
[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53498_600x400/] [/URL]
ROMAC
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:28 am  Reply with quote

I'm having an upgrade built right now. I decided to go this route rather than buy a CSMC.

The first phase of the project involves a lot of file work to refine the shape of the action and get rid of the Sterlingworth stamping. The barrels are also struck at this time and then the stock is made.

The one you are looking at did not do any of this prep work to the metal.

canvasback
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:30 am  Reply with quote

Thanks Romac and GLS for some informative posts (with pics). Makes it easy for all of us, including the OP to assess the gun he's looking at. I'm getting ready to do an upgrade to a SW myself. Although I won't be trying to replicate a specific Fox grade.

To the OP..... without upgraded wood, and with the engraving that we see, I would pay no more for this gun than I would any SW that has been "refreshed".

1925 Ferlach 29" 6 lbs 7 oz
1923 Greifelt 29" 6 lbs 1 oz
1928 Simson 29.5" 6 lbs
1893 Lindner Daly FW 28” 5 lb 11oz
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:24 pm  Reply with quote

The engraving on the OP's potential gun has a more of a style like some of the Spanish doubles like my Derby 28 ga.

As far as adding value goes, I am going to step up on the soap box. One thing that has always chaffed my shorts is this whole notion that unless all work was done by the factory or a very famous craftsman, it is worthless. That's nonsense. I understand collectors preserving original examples of anything and that does command somewhat of a premium. But for the rest of us looking for a beautiful gun to actually use (like the factory intended) an altered gun should be just fine. Especially if the work is actually better than factory issued.

If 20 hours of engraving labor went into the gun, well 20 hours of work went into the gun, no matter where it took place. It's the quality of the work that matters, not some stupid technicality. If you want a quality gun to shoot, buy with your eye and swing with your hands. That should be what determines value, not the opinion of a small group of collectors who only run up the prices of nice old guns.

Back to the gun in question. The work is not world class, but not bad either. Look at the engraving quality then compare it other guns of like workmanship, paying attention to what price range it takes to get that level of engraving. Then see what a nice Sterly sells for and say an A or B grade sells for. Then consider the fact that the buttstock definitely looks out of place. Decide what you would like to spend beyond that $2800. Is it still worth it? Only you can decide. If you do buy it, the thing deserves a better chunk of wood.

WHEAT
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:27 pm  Reply with quote

My personal rule of thumb is that if I love a gun I will buy it and not worry whether the price is a little high. 10 years from now the price will be irrelevant if you paid a little more or less than it's value. That being said if I don't love it and just like it I will usually pass on it. Then I get buyers remorse... If you love it and plan on keeping it I say go for it. If you would resell it you might take a loss. Just my opinion. Let us know... Thanks RB