16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Bargains
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:01 pm  Reply with quote

I suppose bargain is in the eye of the beholder. Broke down and bought a gun today. I hesitated, then looked at what others like it are going for. Then thought about what that money would buy me in a brand new gun. The gun is on the way. N.I.D. 16. Bargain compared to what I was seeing in the Parker and Lefever (Syracuse) listings along with the lion's share of Fox and L.C. Smith offerings as well.

I think Ithacas in general are undervalued. I spied a 2E with gorgeous wood, straight grip 16 ga. no less, that was far less than comparable offerings from the other makes. It was in great shape. Even so, I didn't have $2500!

BarkeyVA
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:34 pm  Reply with quote

I found a really nice Model 48 (90+%) with a PolyChoke a couple of years ago. I was willing to pay $299 plus shipping and transfer because it’s condition, and I liked the flexibility of having the adjustable choke. While that was probably at least $100 more than it was worth, I figured after 5 or 10 years of shooting it, that extra $100 will have been forgotten.

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:48 am  Reply with quote

Speaking of NID's, here's an interesting take on American doubles by a master gunsmith/restorer, Dewey Vicknair that appeared in his blog and another site:
http://vicknairgunsmithing.blogspot.com/2016/01/an-unbiased-look-at-design-of-american.html
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:42 am  Reply with quote

Interesting write up. I have worked on most of the American guns he mentions and can't really disagree with his observations. Reassembling my Smith when the stock work is done is not something I look forward to, mainly on account of that miserable pivot bar/post.

I would have been curious to see his take one the Lefevers and Bakers. I do like all of the American classics though. Even though Parkers are probably the worst value for the money (in other words, priced way too high for what you get) I would still love to have one someday. There is no such thing as a bargain Parker in 16 ga., aside from a gun that needs much attention (which I don't mind giving).

Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:32 pm  Reply with quote

Interesting article. Answered the one question that every bargain gun owner wanted to know "does anybody know a good gunsmith"? Dewey!

old colonel
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:30 pm  Reply with quote

Reference various SXS and their weaknesses per Dewey. I believe he is right on the facts.

Dewey is a pre-eminent smith

I concur with Dewey that the Fox is a good bet in old American guns. A Sterlingworth 16 was my first gun buy.

I believe the best Guns for the money right now can be found in French and Belgian guild guns. You need to judge by the gun but in the plain Anson Deeley Boxlock Non Ejector or extractor gun. A solid shooter, with better dimensions than many old American guns can be had for cheaper than a Fox or Parker in similar condition.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:02 pm  Reply with quote

I have looked into the european guns and really like them, minus the typical engraving style that many have. The nicer Spanish makes appeal to me though. As far as dimensions, I find the comb too high on many guns, especially italian makes...or almost any modern gun.

Gil S
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:09 am  Reply with quote

In the Vicknair link, take a look at "rising bite, self opening, sidelock, double trigger 30-30 double rifle that he is building from scratch, Nov. 7, 2017 entry in the right hand column.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:29 pm  Reply with quote

There's a bargain gun on GB right now. Mugica Eibar 16 ga. with a current bid of $335. It's the same gun as the Noble 420. Not high grade but pretty decent for the price.
i had one in 12 ga, long ago. The engraving was poor, but the gun gaslight and responsive.

Last edited by WyoChukar on Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:40 am  Reply with quote

Over here Spanish box lock non ejector guns seem to be the best value at the minute , the cheaper ones are just plain field grade but handle like a classic British sxs , 16ga ones are thin on the ground though and AYA name adds a bit onto the price but I have seen a couple of good Spanish doubles bought lately for under £100 and that's a lot of bang for your buck . Don't know if there are that many Spanish guns out in USA though , seems most young shooters now go for over and unders .Just what I think All the best WJ.
JNW
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Lots of good comments here. I heartily agree with NIDs and German SxS being great values. Another gun that hasn't been mentioned is Husqvarna. They made fabulous shotguns. My $350 M51 hammer gun is one of my favorites. It's built better than any entry level American gun. Their box locks are really nice as well. I'm proud to own a Husky shotgun, chainsaw and snow blower!
Regards,
Jeff
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:33 pm  Reply with quote

Time to add their motorbike to that list!

wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:47 pm  Reply with quote

I have their lawn mower , still looking for one of their guns in 16ga of course
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:20 pm  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Lots of good comments here. I heartily agree with NIDs and German SxS being great values. Another gun that hasn't been mentioned is Husqvarna. They made fabulous shotguns. My $350 M51 hammer gun is one of my favorites. It's built better than any entry level American gun. Their box locks are really nice as well. I'm proud to own a Husky shotgun, chainsaw and snow blower!
Regards,
Jeff

+100

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
PRONGHORNSOUTH
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:22 pm  Reply with quote

BarkeyVA wrote:
I like Marlin Model 90’s but it is hard to find a really nice 16 ga for under $400. I also like my pre-WWII Eastern Arms 101.7, a 5100 made by Stevens for Sears. I paid $250 for it.

+1 For the Model 90. Very Happy