16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  browning std Auto-5 16
stevezz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:21 pm  Reply with quote

Hello all, first post here. I'm relatively new to the 16 as I just picked up a Stevens 5100 about a month ago and got completly hooked! just ordered a mec 600jr to go along with my 12 ga press. I've always wanted a classic auto-5 but just never got around to it... Well NOW is the time. I'm in the process of buying a standard weight 1938 mfg in 16. I love the idea of the sweet 16 but for what the gun will be used for the standard will suite me just fine. My question is what do these guns weigh? I know it will be a little different depending on barrel, and rib vs no rib... but what do your guns actually weigh? I'd be interested in standard and also sweet 16 owners, along with light 12s vs standard. FYI mine is a standard 16 28" barrel with a solid rib and poly choke.
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:41 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome! Good first post, exactly what I was wondering myself today: what ARE all these Auto 5 differences?
Interested in reading the replies! Also, what's the difference between a "sweet sixteen" and a 16ga Auto-5? I thought it was the same thing.
skeettx
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:35 pm  Reply with quote

Hello stevezz

Welcome to the site

Mike

my oldie

Last edited by skeettx on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

stevezz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:23 pm  Reply with quote

Dave,

From what I can tell, different years of manufacture have cosmetic differences between the Sweet 16 and standard 16. The main things I can see is, first, the receiver has more metal removed during the machining process on the inside of the receiver sides which can be see by depressing the loading gate. Second, the barrel collar that slides over the mag tube has 3 holes drilled in it. Third and finally, the stock has been slightly hollowed just under the buttpad.
Some years have "sweet 16" engraved in the off side of the receiver, and have gold triggers. I am by no means an expert on the Auto-5, but am really enjoy learning about them. I haven't even received the gun yet, but I can tell it probably wont be by last Auto-5.
Flues16
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

I have a pre-war standard weight 3-shot (shorter magazine than the A-5) 16 gauge 26" barrel with the solid rib. It weighs 7 lbs 12 oz.

BTW, I guess you know that the 16 gauge 1938 auto-5 was made for 2 9/16" shells. Some of them have been converted to handle 2 3/4" shells so it is possible yours is one of them. If not, you can get an inexpensive kit for your 600JR to load the shorter shells. Or a good gunsmith like Art's in Missouri can convert the gun to handle the longer shells. I've left my gun as-is and load my own short shells on my 600JR.

If you'd like to learn more about the Belgian Browning Automatics I recommend the book "Browning Automatic Shotguns" by Shirley and Vanderlinden.

stevezz
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Flues 16

Thanks for the info on the book, I'll look into it. Art's is where I am buying the gun from, and he's doing the conversion for me.
Square Load
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

According to Browning's old advertisements the Standard weighs 10 oz. more than the Sweet 16 when the guns have identical barrels .

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
Ohio Wirehair
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

stevezz wrote:
Flues 16

Thanks for the info on the book, I'll look into it. Art's is where I am buying the gun from, and he's doing the conversion for me.

That's great,they have a stellar reputation. You'll be receiving a correct gun.
Nasty-G
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:30 pm  Reply with quote

Just weighed mine on my postal scale. 7 lbs 7 oz. 28' barrel.