16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  P&W Rebuild
b1richards
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:56 pm  Reply with quote

I Thought I would share some pics of a P&W800B that I got for $50 and what it looks like so far during the rebuild that I am doing. There is a before pic and a near done. I still have to finish the primer seating assy and the tool head, but I think it is starting to look nice. Since I was rebuilding it myself, I figured I would choose what colors to use if I was not going to use the basic P&W black.

I called P&W regarding the serial number and this press was originally built in the late 60's. I have so far converted it to use the quick change die setup. I also happened to come across someone who was selling a NIB 16ga conversion kit cheap. Super I said, because my cousin had given me a LC Smith 16ga. Then there was a group buy on R16 wads. All was coming together.

BEFORE:

****** Done:

Last edited by b1richards on Fri Dec 22, 2006 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 pm  Reply with quote

Nice----one of my buddies recently bought on these in basket case also for a few bucks---mabey it will look as nice as yours---any hints????parts--etc????I think they are nice but will stick with my MECS Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
onefunzr2
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:18 pm  Reply with quote

What a dramatic difference! Looks good.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:46 pm  Reply with quote

yep - cool indeed.

I'd be interested in seeing a competed pic including a pic "in operation" to get a feel of how it's supposed to work
b1richards
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:18 pm  Reply with quote

This project has been fun to do. There is still some work left. I too can't wait to get it up and running. Therefore, Here is the press with the 16ga tool head installed. About the only thing not original is the die removal system from precisionreloading.com, the 16ga conversion kit (sad to say P&W does not sell anymore), and the new primer tray/chute assy. Now if there is anyone who would like to give up theirs to me because theirs looks like junk, please send to me. Wink Wink I think I can use it for something. But I would like some help....

Question: What color do you think I should paint the powder/shot top plate? What color would go good for the 12ga tool head? Thanks for your help....

Wink Wink Wink
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:52 pm  Reply with quote

tool heads for respective gauges?

base it on shell color (unless it's remington - greengreengreen)

red for 12
purple for 16
yellow 20

etc.

or something like that...
b1richards
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:16 pm  Reply with quote

sprocket wrote:
tool heads for respective gauges?

base it on shell color (unless it's remington - greengreengreen)

red for 12
purple for 16
yellow 20

etc.

or something like that...

Thought about something like that, but the 16ga would have to be black for now. I have thought to, at least, use the green for the top plate.

For those not familar with P&W presses, there is a different tool head for each caliber (12ga, 20ga, 28ga, and 410). I lucked out getting the 16ga. With the die removal system and different tool heads, one can change the press from one caliber to another in just minutes. Any new tool head from P&W will be black. That is their standard color. I wonder, could I order a custom color from them?
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:39 am  Reply with quote

[quote="b1richards"]About the only thing not original is the die removal system from precisionreloading.com, the 16ga conversion kit (sad to say P&W does not sell anymore),[quote]

Are you sure about this? They did when I talked to them in the spring.
They don't advertise it, but they'll make you an 800+ or a Platinum 2000 in 16 ga. All you have to do is ask.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
b1richards
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Pete,
I guess I stand corrected. I based it on their web site. I thought I was lucky to find a NIB 16ga kit. Oh well, at least I got it cheap. Thanks for the update.

Hope you like the pictures....
Foursquare
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:38 am  Reply with quote

The pictures are great.

When I asked PW why they don't show the 16 ga 800 or Platinum on the website or the catalog, they said "We don't get much call for them."

Duh? Hello? You don't list an item in your catalog and then wonder why nobody orders it? The ultimate self-fulfilling prophecy. Rolling Eyes

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
b1richards
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:29 pm  Reply with quote

Isn't that a kicker, not advertizing ALL your products that you "can" sell. In either case, I guess I got the better deal buying the kit for what I did vs. from P&W. Again, thanks for the updated information. I wonder if they would do custom colors for the tool heads.