16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Shotgun weight
skeettx
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:56 pm  Reply with quote

What we REALLY need is for hunting season to start up again!!

Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:12 pm  Reply with quote

Cabin Fever, We canceled our sporting clays shoot because the snow banks were so high all we could throw were rabbits and springing teal.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:57 pm  Reply with quote

It snowed here too. All this talk of heavy guns versus light makes me think of how much lighter the snow shovel was last winter. After heaping the slush, all of my guns feel light!

Griffon
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:43 am  Reply with quote

Don't start again.. aluminum shovels vs plastic ones here we go.

AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:53 am  Reply with quote

Griffon wrote:
Don't start again.. aluminum shovels vs plastic ones here we go.

Aluminum or Plastic???

Mine is steel with tracks and has an engine. I gave up that manual labor stuff several years ago when the snow was so deep that I couldn't throw the shovel-full over the berm and it would slide back into the driveway.

It's been a curse to drive the "snow shovel" back to the equipment shed too early in the Spring - as doing so always results in a big snowfall - a curse related to the one about washing your car and then causing rain. But I should be safe to pout it away this week. Maybe- but I don't want to tempt fate, so I may wait until next week - April shouldn't be too soon.
makintrax73
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:22 pm  Reply with quote

I find lightweight boots add far more comfort to hunting that a lightweight gun (within reason) but my 6 1/2 lb 16 does carry nicer than my 7 1/2 lb 12.

Hunting season sure sounds good, but lets not dispense with summer just yet.
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:34 pm  Reply with quote

Welcome aboard! I here you on the boots. I love The North Face boots. Light and they actually grip snow.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:38 pm  Reply with quote

I shot a 20 ga Citori Lightning and a 20 ga BPS for my first few adult years...I loved the Citori, but I couldn't hit a thing. The BPS was heavier, longer barrel (when mounted, etc)...cleaned a lot of game thanks to that BPS.

I switched to 16s after a lifelong fascination.... had the BPS (upland & field),, Ithaca 37 (40s and 50s guns), Browning Auto-5 (jap & belgium), Citori Feather, Citori Grade 3, first run Citori Lightning, Remington Model 11, Model 11 Sportsman, Sportsman 48, Remington 31 & 31L, Savage Automatic 16, Savage 755 & 775, JP Sauer Ejector SxS....

Best all around for me : Savage 775. Neither beast nor princess. But, great forward weight depending on barrel length. Follow that by the Remington 31L, then the Savage Automatic.

Remington Model 11s I should have kept..dumb..

Bottom line, I went for LIGHT...easy carry...quick mount...I was wrong tho. The best I've ever shot was a Browning Auto 5 Light 12, with ribbed 26" bbl...not light at all.
I was tired at the end of the day (11 long, brush and deadfall strewn miles) but I had my bird limit...and I had it with just slightly more shots than birds.

I found with my final selection of 16s listed above, that I had more solid hits, complete drops, and most importantly...Follow thru.

I really like a lightweight, perfectly balanced SxS (hence my still owning my JP Sauer Ejector) but the proof in my journals says heavier drops the birds and smokes the squirrels.

(My Remington 31L was the cats meow...but another member on here owns it now, which is fine because I found a 26" bbl Remington 31....this bird season will record it's abilities)

Honestly, the Savages have done tremendous service for me...light they are not! The 775 however, is alloy receiver, and is the most reliable and hardest working shotgun I've ever owned...period.

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:14 am  Reply with quote

skeettx wrote:
What we REALLY need is for hunting season to start up again!!

10-4 have all these clay's in the freezer and don't have a good recipe for them Very Happy

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Turkey season starts soon......just in time too, had the last of the turkey breast meat last night for dinner. Very Happy Very Happy

Down to only a couple of pheasants and some quail........yikes !!!

The only thing I shoot here in the northeast between now and October are Clays.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:39 am  Reply with quote

Turkey started this morning where I plan to hunt, but that's many hour's drive from here. Hopefully in the next couple weeks... Very Happy

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:25 pm  Reply with quote

Wyo,

During the first week of May, I will be a lot closer to you than I am now.

I will be in the Sand Hills and hopefully, get a few turkeys like we did last year.......but with the hot, dry weather last summer.....if nothing else it will be a nice visit with good friends.

JNW
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:12 pm  Reply with quote

Folks who think about gun weight seem to fall into two separate camps. Camp 1 is not overly concerned about weight unless a particular gun is really heavy or really light. If it feels good and they like the gun they shoot it. Doesn't matter what gauge or barrel length. These folks are content with, for example, a 7 pound gun if it's a 12, 16, 20 or 28 as long as it does its job well.
Camp 2 are those who think that somewhere, in a magical book written by wizards in the 18th century in a country estate in northern England, specific rules have been recorded about shotgun characteristics - weight, barrel length, chamber length, choke constriction, drop at comb and on and on and on. Anyone who disagrees with their views are Philistines who know nothing about the fine sport of shotgunning, especially upland shooting. These folks think guns of a given gauge MUST weight between Xlb Xoz and X+Ylb X+Zoz. Anything outside of this specific range is derided and considered an abomination. There is little to no overlap between gauges for these people. Oddly enough, no two of these excessively gun weight conscious folk agree on what is the correct weight range for an upland gun of a given gauge. This is due to The Book of Gun Specifications being lost to the sands of time. Rest assured, if your 16 gauge SxS weighs an ounce more than their believed-to-be-infallible view then you will not be allowed to shoot with them. You have been warned.
I fall into Camp 1. If it feels good, shoot it. If you really like it, shoot it. No matter which Camp you fall into, shoot what makes you happy.
Regards,
Jeff
16'er
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:43 pm  Reply with quote

Clays, close to seven pounds.

Birds, closer to six pounds.
duckdup
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:40 pm  Reply with quote

I have a 12# sledge hammer, a 4oz mini-mallet, and lots of others in between.

My firearms represent a similar diversity of weight & purpose...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...