16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  An arsenal in your pocket
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:16 am  Reply with quote

Oh I know about recess/jug choking a gun. I have performed the process on three guns in the past, tedious work.

Truth be known folks, this thread is merely a satire based on a grain or three of truth. The whole idea was to entertain, provoke thought, and have a little fun, which I believe has occurred amongst my friends here.

Being able to switch chokes a long way from home, camp, or truck has it's advantages and I would make use of the feature, but the reality is that you will only have the perfect setup 1/3 of the time at best, and that is about what you can say about fixed chokes too. Shooting doubles gives me two chokes at any given moment and two really aren't all that bad. Wink

Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 am  Reply with quote

I caught your satirical tone, Wyo, and got a chuckle out of it. Of course the answer is more guns to pick from. Point the shot where the bird will be when the charge arrives is the secret that the tube manufacturers have been concealing all along!!

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:10 am  Reply with quote

He he he
I have been following this thread Smile
Long time ago I settled on a fixed IC/Mod choke arrangement.
Never had cause to change

Steel shot works well in this combo
Lead shot works well in this combo.

Now I am not in the NE for grouse in early season,
if so might use a cyl/cyl gun for quick work.

Mike

UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:54 pm  Reply with quote

I like versatility in my fixed choke guns. My chukar gun is ic/xf, and covers every range I could shoot at the little buggers. My pheasant gun is cyl/f, and so on. That said, I would like to have a nice older 2 3/4" steel barrel Husky fitted with choke tubes for clays games.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:27 pm  Reply with quote

I just changed the photo in the first post. Wow, I can't believe how bad the other one was, but it was bad enough to bother me.

Griffon
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:14 pm  Reply with quote

Ditto on Skeettex IMP/Mod,seems to work well in the NE covers. Surprising how fast Mr. Grouse can put distance between him and you.

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:30 pm  Reply with quote

WyoChukar wrote:
I just changed the photo in the first post. Wow, I can't believe how bad the other one was, but it was bad enough to bother me.

Mine could use some fixing.
duckdup
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:44 pm  Reply with quote

The new photos really show off those fine guns...

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
4setters
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:08 pm  Reply with quote

Maybe those Brits and Uncle Dan have/had the answer. One barrel either cylinder or IC and the other full or extra full. Cover all the bases.

I have a number of guns with screw in chokes, but almost never change chokes in the field or rarely before a hunt. In 16 gauge, IC works for me on about 90% of my hunts. Were I a chukering, I probably would want something a little tighter though!

1955 Browning Auto-5 Mod
1940 Ithaca NID M/F
1959 Beretta Silver Hawk
Ranger 103-II M/F
Browning A-5 Sweet 16
Browning Citori Invector
Rem 870 Remchoke
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:56 pm  Reply with quote

I'm with SkeeTX on IC & Mod -- the most versatile arrangement. If you want more open (that must be for shorter ranges), shoot smaller shot (don't need to carry the pellet energy so far for those short shots anyway, right? and you're shooting smaller birds so you need the pellet count, right?), and use a spreader load if you have to. Then you can probably get that gun to shoot like Skt & IC. If you want a tighter pattern (longer ranges) shoot larger shot (you were going to do that anyway because of pellet energy needs out there further, right?) and buffer those loads if you need to. That gun might shoot more like Mod & IM.

Having said that, I do have guns I've opened slightly more than IC & Mod -- more like SK2 (in Winchester-speak) and IC -- e.g. .005" and .010" constriction in 16 and 20 gauges. I took an ugly old but perfectly functional 2 9/16" Model 12 16 out to .005" (a Mike Orlen job) as well as 2 3/4" chamber and long forcing cone. That gun shoots any shot or load you care to run down the barrel, without harm to the barrel, lead or non-tox, soft or hard-as-hell Hevi-Shot, for any game. I have never patterned it Embarassed , shame on me. However, the idea is this: For upland, which generally means up closer, it shoots softer shot more open. For longer tougher stuff, like waterfowl, it should shoot plenty tight with the hard non-toxic alloys we are required to use. For longer upland where I can still use lead, I guess I'll use larger shot and buffer it -- like maybe hard lead 5's or even 4's, and a 1 1/8 oz. load. This is a great rain gun -- that's what I shot at last year's 16 gauge shoot at South Saint Paul Rod & Gun Club. Never been wetter! I used RGL's reloaded with 1 oz of lead 8's to about 1200 fps. No problem breaking any of the targets on that course if I did my job (which I did only about two thirds of the time Embarassed Laughing ).

When I buy a used gun nowadays, I don't give much consideration to it's chokes -- I know I'm going to "load around them", if you know what I mean. I don't mind choke tubes, some are quite good, but I figure I seldom need them.

Happy Shooting,
Tony
pudelpointer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:07 am  Reply with quote

.008 and .018 for chokes then black Rem hull 3/4 oz 8 in right barrel purple Cheditte 7/8 oz of 7 1/2 in left barrel for close in work. Win cf hull 1 oz of 7's in right barrel then for the heavy lifting in the left barrel Fed hull 1 1/8 oz of 6's or 5's. That choke and load combination cover's it all. When you reach in your pocket and grab a shell you know what it is simple system for me. I use the 3/4 and 7/8 early for Woodcock then 2 of the 1oz 7's in both barrels once the leaves come down for Grouse.
kgb
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:58 am  Reply with quote

That is extremely close to what I use, chokes and shells alike.

WyoChukar
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm  Reply with quote

I stagger my loads pretty often too, especially in the Lefever with the skeet & I/M combo. Light shot in the right and heavier in the left. My shells go in corresponding pockets (right pocket-right barrel, etc.).

Back when I shot a fixed choke 1100 Remington for everything, I used chilled shot, magnum shot, and buffered magnum shot to essentially give the effect of having three different chokes. Chilled shot in a tighter choke is not as consistent as an open choke with harder magnum shot, but it works. The buffered loads tightened things up nicely and my regular loads produced patterns about on par with what the choke designation indicated they should.

Griffon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:37 pm  Reply with quote

Which pocket did I stick that hand grenade in?

Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:01 pm  Reply with quote

Here is my system.

.015" choke, 1 1/8 oz. #6 for pheasant, prairie chickens, sharptails etc. one in the chamber two in the magazine. If there are quail around 1 oz. #7 in the chamber, the loads in the magazine do not change.

one choke, two loads, one barrel, one trigger.