16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  2018 Spring Gobbler Season
Gil S
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:26 am  Reply with quote

Went to a favorite spot on public land this morning which was recently burned. It's a longleaf pine hill bordering a a swamp. Birds started up at 7:00 a.m., three came in and 2 left at 7:15. Sometimes it's easy. In my haste to get out of the woods and back home, while reeling up the string he came in on, string got tangled up on burned palmetto fronds, abandoned and the key to success fell out of my pocket so they aren't in the photos. American Wild Turkey shot with Chinese shot (1 5/8 oz. TSS9) out of an Italian hull, trough a Russian 20 ga. Baikal MP-18 single-shot, aimed with a Chinese Burris red dot Fast Fire III. Called in with a rivercane "yelper" made from rivercane cut during the woodcock season. Beard not much, but these unmeasured ( will do after work) spurs are fairly long, curved up and in. Gil

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53733_800x600/] [/URL]

[URL=http://www.jpgbox.com/page/53735_800x600/] [/URL]
hayseed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:42 am  Reply with quote

Good bird there. Congrats
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:00 pm  Reply with quote

Still have snow on the ground here. And the maple syrup makers are still boiling down the sap.
Won't be turkey-hunting time for another month at least.

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 5:24 pm  Reply with quote

Good job, Gil. Our birds are still down here, but have seen a few lately. Our season starts here this weekend

Gil S
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:11 am  Reply with quote

Hayseed, Cowdoc, thanks. Yes, he was a good bird. 99% of my success was just showing up. For every easy bird like this one was, the others put you through the wringer, and then you don't succeed. Spurs were 1 5/16" and 1 1/4". I don't weigh birds anymore as it is bad enough from their vantage point to shoot them, but it would be worse to deprive them of gaining weight in the future years when I recount his story. Wink

The oral history of the location is that during the Civil War, locals hid their cattle and valuables in the swamp to protect them form plunder by Hazen's Division of Sherman's Right Wing as the marched through Georgia to the sea. The open swamp is surrounded by ti-ti shrubs ("hells") which can grow 20' feet tall and are almost impenetrable to move through. I know a few ways into it, but they still present challenges. I almost went into one of those areas, but even on a good day they can be challenging. Glad I took the path of least resistance and showed up where I ultimately went.

Birds are reportedly down everywhere. SC dropped the number of tags from 5 to 2 this year. Wonder where Reno is? Haven't seen him post in many moons.
Gil
wj jeffery 16
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Well done Gil good to see the Turkey hunters getting going ,and yes where is Reno ? be good to hear from him . Thanks for sharing your hunt WJ.
rkittine
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:18 pm  Reply with quote

I don't waste any ammunition, just hit them with my Jeep on the way to the range. Leaves more ammo for practice.

Now if I could just figure out how to post this picture here?

Bob
[/img]

16 Gauge O/U Browning 525 Sporting
16 Gauge SxS Rizzini Islide
16 Gauge Pump Browning BPS Upland
16 Gauge Semi-Auto Remington 1100 Sporting
Rick Grimes
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:54 am  Reply with quote

Good shot, Gil. Take the easy ones when you can get them. Laughing

Going into coverts becomes less a chase with the sole purpose of killing; it remains important to find game but the gratification-and I keep coming back to that word-is in the beauty of finding it. George Bird Evans A Dog, A Gun, And Time Enough.
Dave in Maine
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:49 am  Reply with quote

Plenty of birds in Maine.
Our #1 nuisance animal for complaints are turkeys, edging out bears gorging on birdfeeders and trash in the spring.
And our season won't close until sometime the far side of Memorial Day.

byrdog
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:09 am  Reply with quote

I got a Fall special last year while goose hunting , about 20 Turkeys attacked the decoys biggest one would peck at them and yelp. 1,25oz load of Heviweight #4 put an end to the goose abuse . The population up my way has become a big nuisance. The way I see it if you must have a nuisance it should be a tasty one.

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
scraggley
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 am  Reply with quote

byrdog:
The first time I saw a turkey in Maine was in October 1995 my partner and I had just turned off of Rt 6 near Topsfield onto the Amazon Road headed south. One flew across the road ahead of the truck. In subsequent years have not seen another.

Art

fourtrax
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:57 am  Reply with quote

Good job.

Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:59 pm  Reply with quote

Gil,
Good eaten bird, Congrats on a fine hunt.

Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:56 pm  Reply with quote

I do believe I am getting eager for turkey. Nice job.

Two Pipe Shoot
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:49 am  Reply with quote

Nice bird, Gil. Hooks almost always tell more about a bird than the beard, though if you hunt turkeys long enough you’ll kill birds with trophy beards and Jake spurs. I’ve been off the radar for awhile after getting spanked by Skeetex for submitting comments he deemed off color. Life has gotten in the way of hunting lately and though I volunteer expertise for the DNR about all things turkey, dealing with the WI lottery system for tags lacks luster. Looking forward to Southern springs and getting back to my used to be. I have plans to visit the honey hole in two weeks to put a bird in the Deans lap, provided I can get him to sit still enough. That’s where I killed the wild cherry tree last year that blew my pattern on a shot at an ostrich sized Tom.

I’m almost done with phase one of my Alabama house and am running 1,300’ of water line from the dirt road down the road I built. The house is on piers so I don’t have to kill snakes on the porches. I plan to winter there when the nest gets empty but my bride likes it so much she’s threatening to move there full time. Now, to get her to spend a sweltering summer there before she decides...

Reno