16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  Guys...need some advice here
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:28 pm  Reply with quote

Fellers

I have inherited a 1992 Beretta S686 Special, 20ga, 26" MobilChoke bbl, with factory English stock...100% perfect in every way...fantastic engraving too.

Here's the issue...It doesn't fit me worth a damn, and it kicks like a mule. I mean WHACK!...just seriously unfun in everyway...It weighs 5.6lbs, and it doesn't fit, surely why it slams the tar out of me.

I'm considering selling, but I have absolutely no idea what a Beretta sells for on the used market, and frankly, around here, I never see them for sale, or in the field.

So, honesty is totally fine.

Also, it's not a heartwarming relative, at all...so no loss there.

skeettx
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm  Reply with quote

See if Cole's can help

https://www.colegun.com/collections/beretta-680-series-20ga-wood-sets

https://www.colegun.com/

Here is a 28 gauge
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/760354127

here is a 12

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/759937623

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:13 pm  Reply with quote

Yep, that's it...Only mine is English grip with hard Beretta plate, no pad.

Do you feel like that is a fairly decent asking price? Seems high, but I have no clue...

cowdoc87
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:44 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a fine piece that somebody would like to own. If no attachment, list it no reserve and kick back. The straight stock limits who would buy it, but makes it more rare. I’d guess 1200-1500 is close

dannypratt
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:47 pm  Reply with quote

CD
I figured about the same thing, 12-15, but like I said, don't know the market...

I'm a Browning guy...

byrdog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:03 am  Reply with quote

what ga?

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
skeettx
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:23 pm  Reply with quote

See first post Smile

I have inherited a 1992 Beretta S686 Special, 20ga,26" MobilChoke bbl, with factory English stock...100% perfect in every way...fantastic engraving too.

dannypratt
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:30 pm  Reply with quote

It's a really nice gun, but the thing does not fit me...I'm taking up to my gunsmith Monday, maybe he'll have a suggestion as he is a professional stock maker and gun maker...I like the gun, but the no fitting is sucky

tramroad28
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:41 pm  Reply with quote

dannypratt wrote:
Fellers

I have inherited a 1992 Beretta S686 Special, 20ga, 26" MobilChoke bbl, with factory English stock...100% perfect in every way...fantastic engraving too.

Here's the issue...It doesn't fit me worth a damn, and it kicks like a mule. I mean WHACK!...just seriously unfun in everyway...It weighs 5.6lbs, and it doesn't fit, surely why it slams the tar out of me.

I'm considering selling, but I have absolutely no idea what a Beretta sells for on the used market, and frankly, around here, I never see them for sale, or in the field.

So, honesty is totally fine.

Also, it's not a heartwarming relative, at all...so no loss there.

What loads were you shooting when it “kicked” and was the kick in the shoulder or a face slap?
I had one Beretta that was bad about cheek slap.

5 1/2#-ish is silly light tho.

I would ask your gunny friend to check and see if the pitch can be somewhat cheaply adjusted.
As well, depending upon your own size and how you were adapting to the gun, maybe a simple pad is in the future....you appear to have some room for adding weight.

Unless you are at an extreme of height or weight, “fitting” officially.....is over-rated....do not give up too soon but it sounds like a sale or trade is really what you want. Idea
I would put the price at 1K or less.....a few hundred higher closer to autumn.
Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:40 pm  Reply with quote

Sounds like a cool gun! Got any pictures?
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

The fit thing s more important if the problem is left/ right due to your cheek. A bit high can be dealt with. A comb that is too low of course is a big deal since you have to lift your head to see down the barrel.

I do have friend that gets beaten hard by his gun due to fit, but he is tall, long armed, and has a long neck. I'm surprised his thumb doesn't end up in a nostril during recoil. He does need a longer stock and non standard dimensions. His gun isn't pointing close to where he looks at all and he struggles. Recently he admitted this and is now weighing out his options.

If you know of or have another gun that does fit you and you shoot well, by all means sell the 20 and go with the other gun no matter what it is. The bottom line with any gun is you either get along with it, or you don't.

kgb
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:17 pm  Reply with quote

The first 20ga I bought was a Beretta S687L and it kicked pretty hard as well with skeet loads until I had a pad added. The gun had fixed choke barrels as I didn't trust choke tubes yet in the 1980s, and eventually it quit changing over to fire the second barrel. It fit me pretty well, had a pistol grip stock that might have helped a little, but I was new to shotgunning and it was not an ideal target gun.

Today I'd shoot one as a bird gun, yours sounds like a pretty sweet one for an O/U fan

dannypratt
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 5:30 am  Reply with quote

Loads I used were just standard Remington Game Loads, 2 3/4" - 7/8oz - #8....nothing out of the ordinary. Just absolutely wailed my cheek bone. The gun is super light, so I expected some of it, but really, it's just ridiculous. I'm not recoil shy at all, but this is a flinch maker.

As far as fit, it just doesn't fit well. It pulls up very awkwardly with a shirt, forget about a game jacket on... i really have no interest in making the gun work after thinking about it. I've got other guns that fit properly, and I have nice memories with. Also, I like light shotguns for bird hunting and all, but it's really too light for me. And I need some kind of mass there or I don't shoot well. I've learned this over the years, and I need to stick to it.

It's a beautiful tool, but it doesn't work for me. Just happens sometimes.

I have no clue how to post pics here, I'm not savvy with technical stuff, I'm a carpenter...when my computer hiccups, I consider my framing hammer my best avenue of repair...

kgb
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:15 pm  Reply with quote

The 1200-1500 estimate seems sound, could make a nice trade option if you're not maxed out on bird guns already.

zoli 16ga.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

I have a BL-4 in twenty that shoots very well at 5lbs 9oz. No pad.
check pitch as mentioned.