16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  Off Topic - Boots
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:55 am  Reply with quote

I am looking for a boot for Midwest pheasants/quail/grouse hunting.

I am looking for boots.......lightweight, waterproof, rugged and comfortable.

I have tried many types of boots.....all leather boots are NOT a favorite. I know a lot of folks like Russell boots, no offense, but they are not for me.

I have two different style of Rocky boots, but they aren't particularly lightweight......the LL Bean Maine Hunting boots are OK, good on not leaking water, fairly lightweight, but the soles are just so-so in the snow. The Bean boots fit OK but.......

I have heard that Under Armour makes a nice upland hunting boot and LL Bean have Technical Kangaroo Upland Boots. Anyone have experience with either of these?

I maybe in my 60's but I am not a traditionalist or stuck in the 1960's so, the newest materials are very welcome. I shoot year round and the newer fabrics are less bulky, warmer and allow movement and that is what I am looking for in a pair of upland hunting boots.

Thanks.

slowpokebill
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:33 am  Reply with quote

I have to give a plug to a boot my employer, Cabela's. sells.

Last year I bought a pair of their Cabela's Meindl Ultralight boot with 400 gram insulation. They have been fantastic. They are comfortable from day one. They weren't to hot on last Falls antelope hunt. They were warm hunting pheasant this season when there was snow on the ground. And I never had a leak while busting through cattails chasing old mister rooster.

Cabela's sells the same boot with no insulation or 800 grams of insulation.

My only minor complaint was they are kind of slick on ice and climbing steep areas in snow or mud.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/footwear/mens-footwear/mens-hunting-boots/pc/104797980/c/104747580/sc/104826780/cabelas-ultralight-g-o/2495615.uts?slotId=7
Chicago
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Danner used to make a nice grouse hunting boot. I had several pair plus a few other brands and the issue I always had was they would be waterproof for a couple of years and then start to leak. My guess is the gore-tex would break down where the creases developed. So I went in a different direction that suits me well. Maybe there are better waterproof materials these days.

For really wet weather I use Muck Boots and you can pick up a pair of their Wetland models for about $150. I find them quite comfortable with good support for a slip on boot. My feet don’t get too warm in grouse weather and they are good to -20 if you are moving. If it is over 60 they might get toasty if you wore them more than a couple of hours. I tend to use them for the heavy dew in the morning, or swampy areas, and then switch out to my leather boots, which never leak, I just don’t like to abuse them.

Good Hunting,
Mike
df
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:40 am  Reply with quote

I have had several pair of Danner pronghorns. Very comfortable but the gortex liners leaked something terrible. I like dry feet.
Currently have Redwing and Under Armour, both Gortex lines and both stay dry. The Redwings are lighter. The Under Amour are more comfortable. I prefer the latter.

Last edited by df on Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:08 am  Reply with quote

I will be honest, I have worn out more boots than any man is rightfully entitled to wear out and am immensely grateful for that. In the past two years I have stopped buying "hunting boots" period. I used to like Wolverine brand and they would still be my favorite amongst traditional hunting boot companies, but I finally tried something different and will never go back. My biggest gripe with "hunting boots" other than the fact that many are heavy, is the fact that most don't give near the traction needed for wet rocks (especially granite), wet grassy banks, or snow.

The mountaineering companies make some incredible products. My hands down favorite for most upland hunting is a pair of boots from The North Face. The model is "Ultra Extreme II GTX". They are mildly insulated (intended for active use, not still hunting), waterproof, light as many running shoes, and they grip everything like glue. They are also the most comfortable shoes I ever purchased, that include athletic shoes, truly an "all day comfort" that never wears you down. The one flaw, is the triangular mesh panel on each side, adjacent to where the first lace rings are. I started wearing holes there. I caught it before any real damage was done and coated these two spots with Aquaseal and that solved it completely. A long season of use everywhere, including sharp limestone rubble has left them undamaged since. I like them enough that I am buying another pair today.

In warmer weather, hikers from Columbia are great too. If you feet are narrow or you own a good boot stretcher, Salomon makes some darn good choices too. My tall Salomon winter boots (needed a good stretching job!) are super light and grip real well, but not quite as well as the North Face winter stuff. They're still better than anything the traditional companies ever sold me though. My favorite pair of warm (hot) weather boots were Salomon Authentics. I wore them until the simply split one morning. Those boots had over 1000 miles on them. Vasque disappointed me with the wet traction part.

The right boot (left one too!) can make your days afield a lot more enjoyable, greatly reduce fatigue, and save you from many injuries caused by falling (or death if you hunt chukars). When you find something that you really like, buy several pairs. Many companies are notorious for discontinuing a boot before you need to buy it again!

Last edited by WyoChukar on Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Savage16
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:09 am  Reply with quote

plus one on using Danner pronghorns and muck boots. I got the uninsulated Pronghorns since my feet sweat easily. I also wear a thin poly liner sock and then a smart wool sock with the weight dependent on temps. The liner socks really help with comfort.
DF-which model Underarmor and Redwing do u have?

Chukarchaser
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:19 am  Reply with quote

The Crispi Wildrocks are super light and comfortable. Well made and reasonably priced. Also has enough insulation for the Midwest as it starts to cool down.
dilly
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:51 am  Reply with quote

We just went to wearing LOWA boots at work. We used to wear ECCO and I thought they would be tough to beat, but the LOWAs are awesome. Well worth looking at. Pricey though.

Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:49 pm  Reply with quote

I like my Red Wings for upland, but I've also had great success with Danners in a variety of applications including standing in a Sierras trout stream in a pair of high, insulated ones with not a single drop getting through! Durable too.
Drahts&Birds
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:51 pm  Reply with quote

Just noticed the mention of Lowas. I have a pair of Lowa hiking boots that I have punished for over 4 years. Not sure if they make a hunting version but they don't wear out easily!
last dollar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:41 pm  Reply with quote

BIG Plug for MUCKS in wet stuff. Augment them with a pair of "other" boots for dryer use. I have spent SO MUCH money on boots over the past 65years without finding the perfect pair. Now I buy Brahma Thinsulate waterproofs from Walmart, patch em with shoo-goo when needed and replace em every 2 years. With the Mucks, works for me.....Mucks are going on 8 years old, couple tears from wire, patched with shoo-goo ...They also get almost daily use in winter, easy on and off...
WyoChukar
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:04 pm  Reply with quote

Lowa does make several options that are suitable for fall and winter use. Not cheap though!

putz463
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:13 am  Reply with quote

Wet = Muck, mine are a few years old but the latest offerings look similar to the Wetland or Edgewater models. Dry = Muck or whatever is on my feet which usually Carolina 7028 work boots.

Last edited by putz463 on Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:30 am; edited 1 time in total

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:23 am  Reply with quote

Which model Muck boot do you guys like for upland?

Last edited by double vision on Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:03 am; edited 1 time in total
last dollar
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 4:41 am  Reply with quote

When I bought mine, they only had ONE style! Truthful, I havnt even looked at the options..Long way to answer your question but I am sure mine are the basic boot. I wear them even for elk hunting if it is wet. They do the job....