16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  got an invitation...
sprocket
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:35 pm  Reply with quote

through a co-worker of a friend - he's got springers and a tip on an area hosting trials coming Saturday - we're hunting Sunday Wink

Maybe - if he can get a hall pass...

I'm hoping to get shots over a pointing dog for the first time in my life.

I'll be taking the sxs for sure.

I'm kinda excited, thought I'd share.
Ted Schefelbein
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:51 am  Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that Springers don't point, even the MA variety. That said, have a safe and fun trip.
Best,
Ted
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:26 am  Reply with quote

maybe it was setters? I dunno - this hunting with a dog thing is new to me. I'm just gonna show up, maybe shoot at some birds, watch, learn and enjoy.

Provided he get's a hall pass and everything
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:59 am  Reply with quote

That's just Ted Sro. Every time he gets a chance to bust 'em, he will, just like death and taxes. Laughing As a matter of fact, a well trained hunting Springe, or any good flushing dog, will hup (freeze) on command in the immediate vacinity of birds. He then will flush them on command, thus giving you the opportunity to set up for the flush. A good handler knows when to hup the dog by how birdy it is acting. Its not fool proof. Sometimes the birds are in too close a proximity to the dog or the hunters and will flush wild. However, having a dog under control is better.

This is very useful, especially in the thicker stuff. Some pointers can be trained to flush birds on command too. Its a good trick for the lone hunter to teach the dog if it will take to the training. Some pointers just lock up and won't budge. Some can be cross trained.

Hiedi was one that would flush them on command, but it took some training over a couple of seasons. She was more apt to not want to budge. I taught her by stepping in front of and between her and the scent line of the bird. I'd also give a verbal command for her to "bust 'em" She'd be trying to relocate the scent of the bird by going around me at the time. She finally keyed on my verbal command and knew I'd move up. I'd also praise her when it all came together. She eventually got it down perfect. It just took time, patience, and persistance. Its mostly a matter of just using a dog's natural tendencies to your best advantage.

I have a friend whose lab will point, flush, and retrieve all on command. That is a versitile dog. In many cases, its the form of training a dog gets early on that makes all the difference. There is not a lot of difference between pionters that won't hold or flushers that won't hup.
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:22 am  Reply with quote

Sun?? Not in Ma I hope. Only a few places with preserve licences that I know of.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:03 am  Reply with quote

hunshatt wrote:
Sun?? Not in Ma I hope. Only a few places with preserve licences that I know of.

sure - why not on sunday? Wink

the land of cows & dead people paying rent...
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Unless your on a preserve blue laws still apply.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:29 pm  Reply with quote

OK I'll be more bluntish - we're going up to NH - "live free or die" - aka Cow Hampshire for us "Massholes" Wink

Maine is the same way - no hunting Sundays - farging Puritans
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:25 pm  Reply with quote

I guess I missed the smiley. To busy at work, which is why I'm not going to Ks. You going to the land near Dover or someplace less well known?
Anyhow have fun.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:02 pm  Reply with quote

I'll be heading up somewhere off 202 - not exactly sure where which is why I'm tagging along...

normally, I'd be heading up to Byfield on Monday to walk in the birdless woods alone - when I get frustrated I go out back and stalk chippers & squirrels, looking for deer sign

no worries on missing the joke - sometimes I'm too obtuse for my own good.

I have a buddy in Dover, I'm a regular on his couch - I may have to scout out the place you're talking about and do a day trip...
hunshatt
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

You notice the lack of birds also? We hit byfield, georgtown and the place over in salisbury. My dad gets out 2-4 time a week and hasn't seen but 2-3 birds total. I've been out 3-4 times and only saw 1 bird(that I missed) . I don't think they are putting out nearly the amount . Like to blame the dogs but no way all 3 of them have gotten to be as bad as Tjc's dixey, at the same time. These 3 dogs have found hundreds of birds, so they know what they are looking for. Heck I don't hardly even hear shooting.
sprocket
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:43 pm  Reply with quote

opening week at Byfield, I saw every dog owner with 2 birds in hand - after that, not so much...

Haven't been to G-town in a dogs age, where in Salisbury? we can type off line so as to not "give away" all the good spots.