16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  What's up with this 16 ga Rem 1894 on Gunbroker?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:44 pm  Reply with quote

The old Rem SxS's don't get discussed much here (if ever), but am hoping somebody might help me figure this out. Seller is trying to pass it off (very subtly and without actually saying so) as an F grade, when the "A" is stamped on the water table big as day. (There are tiny F's at a right angle to the serial number and on the frame below the water table.) Yet, the gun has lots of engraving (A grade should have none). Engraving added later? Maybe, but I don't see the company name anywhere, which would have been the only adornment on an A grade. Seller also says it has ejectors (a 20% difference in value) when it isn't stamped with the "E". AE on the water table would be an A grade gun with ejectors. Granted, the picture of the breech end of the barrels looks like ejectors, so maybe the markings on the gun are incomplete (I thought I saw that in another gun online, once).

Unfortunately, I don't own Semmen's book on Remington's double guns, but thought some of you guys who frequent other shotgun boards might have seen something about this.

Here's the link:
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=60211195

Anybody have an idea what's up with it? I figure those who follow these guns must think it 's fishy, too, because nobody's jumped on it in over 5 days now.
hoashooter
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:51 pm  Reply with quote

Buyer Beware Wink Wink Wink
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:24 am  Reply with quote

Looks like an older aftermarket upgrade....

Other issues.... at the very least the barrels were cut. You would need a proper gauge to see if there it was jug choked.

I don't know the Remington guns well but based on the age couldn't this be a twist barrel that was blued? I've seen several twist Parkers that were re finished and misrepresented as fluid steel....

Jeff
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:57 am  Reply with quote

Jeff,
Yeah, the barrel length was an odd size, I thought. But how do you tell from that picture that they were cut? I need an education on that.

As for the bluing, I didn't know that could be done, but you're probably right, because Remington supposedly stamped the barrels with an R or an O if they were fluid steel.

hoahooter,
Buyer won't beware, buyer won't touch with 10-ft pole!! Shocked
Highcountry
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Steve Barnett has an EE grade 16ga on his site. His write-up says that "E" was the highest grade. The wood on the gun in question is obviously not higher grade. Steve's gun doesn't look to have really ornate engraving that was seen on later Remington models. I have a F grade Model 32 which had the engraving deleted but the wood appears to be French walnut with lots of figure and at least 24 lpi checkering..

You can see Steve's listing at http://www.stevebarnettfineguns.com then click on the 16 ga link.

Hc

Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:18 am  Reply with quote

I don't know it was cut from the picture alone, but the combination of 3 factors makes it highly likely.

The the odd length is a good clue. But, maybe more obvious is a gun from that year being so short just screams CUT at me. And finally the evidence that many other modifications were made to this gun makes it a dead lock.

Based on my preferences I look at this gun and see a cactus.....it's positively covered with clues that say, "keep your distance".

Jeff
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:37 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, everybody.

(I like the cactus analogy, Jeff.)
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:55 am  Reply with quote

Glad you liked it. It's derived from the old cactus or porcupine anecdote, usually preceeded by the words "felt more pricks than a"

Jeff