16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  More On (moron?) The Fabulous Square Load
JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:43 pm  Reply with quote

Urbane - adjective
having the polish and suavity regarded as characteristic of sophisticated social life in major cities:
an urbane manner.
reflecting elegance, sophistication, etc., especially in expression:
He maintained an urbane tone in his letters.

Tomorrow's goal is to use the word urbane in conversation. If you can fit in urbane and suavity, give yourself a cookie!

Here's the Urban Dictionary's definition.
urbane - sceney Mac users/NPR listeners who drive smart cars or hybrids and drink black coffee while reading Kirkegaard and other obscure philosophers at Starbucks.

I prefer the first definition, but much of the second one applies to me as well.
Regards,
Jeff

p.s. this is what is known as "thread drift".
duckdup
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:39 pm  Reply with quote

JNW
Speaking of thread drift & Star$$$$, I'm going to sit in a Star$$$$ (one in a Barnes & Noble) and drink coffee from an old, beat-up, Stanley thermos while reading books by the great philosopher Gene Hill, taking notes on the stories about sweet 16s, square loads, and the ever so magical 28ga. I will avoid the urbane while projecting suavity in my tweedy shooting jacket. I may even have a cookie...

Cool Idea Very Happy

An ounce of fives, the smell of nitro in paper hulls, wet gundog, and Hoppe's #9...
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:57 pm  Reply with quote

Example of Shortcut:
Spherical lead avg: .288 cu.in. per ounce
16 ga bore = .66", base area .34 sq in.
Therefore, 1 oz= height x .34 sq in = .288 cu in
solving, .288/.34 = .85; the shot column will be .85" high.

Not that it makes any difference, but you can reverse engineer it to get the height and bse diameter to match to get a "square load".

Last edited by AmericanMeet on Tue May 29, 2018 9:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
JNW
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm  Reply with quote

duckup,
Sounds pretty urbane to me. Be careful, when the ladies see your suave tweed jacket and the Gene Hill in your hands you are in for some serious girl trouble. Enjoy your coffee and cookie.
Jeff
Square Load
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:48 pm  Reply with quote

Think I am going to change my name Shocked Smile Rolling Eyes

Current 16ga. Stable

Browning Citori Gr I
Browning Belgium Sweet 16
A.H. Fox Sterlingworth
Remington 11-48
Remington 31
Remington 870
Geco/J.P. Sauer BLNE
Winchester Mod 12
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:33 pm  Reply with quote

MaximumSmoke wrote:

I think the square load is a hoot. Like a lot of old tales sacred to an interest group (e.g. old wives tails, etc),

Cheers!

Ha Ha ha, I hope that your wife doesn't read this and think that you are telling people that she has a TAIL.
AmericanMeet
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:34 pm  Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by AmericanMeet on Wed May 30, 2018 9:40 am; edited 2 times in total
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 7:53 am  Reply with quote

these threads always get the brain juices flowing .... shouldn't you really take a square 16 bore and simply pour shot in till it is square !? or , should this have been called a cyl load from a cyl bore ?? I don't know what you should change your name to Dennis !!

kgb
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:18 am  Reply with quote

JNW wrote:
Urbane - adjective
having the polish and suavity regarded as characteristic of sophisticated social life in major cities:
an urbane manner.

I don't know why they drug ethnicity into the definition, but if Ukrainian is close enough to polish then I qualify.

I've read the square load line and many others in the writings of the ilk of authors of the outdoors, sometimes it seems bulk to fill out a page or so and in others they're simply relating what they experienced in their travels as have many of us when we started out. Some is attractive in an I-gotta-get-that-now kind of way, sometimes it looks like it's designed to make engineers hold their breath and threaten to turn blue unless someone either proves it (which they obviously can't) or issues a public apology and possibly undergoes execution.

When an engineer tries to actually prove one of these old adages, well, then it's just plain silly stuff. Thanks.

DanLee
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:15 am  Reply with quote

Youse guys are living in the distant past. The new fangle is the round load, which replicates the gauge ball of lead, only with the same weight of shot held in a spherical container. This will ameliorate the problem of squishing the bottom layer of shot as there is no bottom layer. It is truly the all-around load for the all-around shooter. Now, I just have to get Downrange to tool up a mold for the wad.

You can thank me with cash.
Griffon
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:57 am  Reply with quote

Watched a interesting youtube video of the English Champ Digweed shooting targets by randomly taking 2 shells from spectators and stepping back 10 yards each time until he was up to 75-80 yards.

double vision
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 4:18 am  Reply with quote

The square load thing is a stretch, but what it gets at is the fact that most shooters will have better results shooting a sensible load at sensible velocities. Better focus because you're not getting beat up, better patterns, must be magic!
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 am  Reply with quote

Dave says:
Quote:
Better focus because you're not getting beat up, better patterns, must be magic!

++ I agree Dave. Though the square load concept quickly degrades to bunk when taken to the small bores, the idea of "sensible loads" is at the heart of it. I am in accordance with what I think you think. As in the words of Carl, the greenskeeper in the movie Caddyshack, "So I've got that going for me, which is nice".

But, what does "sensible" mean along the great range of human experience and understanding? What's crazy to one person is often sensible to another. For instance, do people agree on what sensible means when guys like Michael Bloomberg constantly pound that word in relation to their idea of gun control. Certainly, as history shows, under the definition of "sensible", much evil has been done. Obviously, the meaning of "sensible" is not universal.

"Sensible" is really about values - what is of value to the person doing the "sensing", i.e. what is prioritized over other things or factors. The use of "sensible" should be accompanied somehow by it's meaning to the person making the statement. It is easy to see Dave's values in regards to loads because he identifies them. That's what is good about his post. More often we see folks blindly following or advocating as "sensible" things like traditional folk methods, the roots and logic of which they take for granted, or never knew.

Quote:
sen·si·ble ˈsensəb(ə)l/
adjective

1. (of a statement or course of action) chosen in accordance with wisdom or prudence; likely to be of benefit.
example "I cannot believe that it is sensible to spend so much"
synonyms: practical, realistic, responsible, reasonable, commonsensical, rational, logical, sound, balanced, grounded, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, levelheaded, thoughtful, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, judicious, sagacious, shrewd
"isn't this the sensible thing to do?"

I put you always in the "practical, realistic, responsible, reasonable, commonsensical, rational, logical, sound, balanced, grounded, sober, no-nonsense, pragmatic, levelheaded, thoughtful, down-to-earth, wise, prudent, judicious, sagacious, shrewd" category, Dave!

Cheers!
Tony
fourtrax
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:23 pm  Reply with quote

Whew!

JNW
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:01 pm  Reply with quote

Tony,
Have you noticed the number of “this is the last shotgun I ever need to own” posts by Dave? Sensible for a 16 gauge addict!
Jeff