16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  A weekend in KS
Pedro
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:50 pm  Reply with quote

Since the Rev hasn't come through with a hunting report yet, thought I'd share my weekend hunt.

Skipped work Fri and headed for NE KS for a try at pheasant prior to Sat quail opener. Hunted two of the birdiest looking farms ever seen in the morning. Rolling hills, brushy draws and waterways between corn and bean fields, couple of small CRP field bordered by corn and milo.

Let the two britts out of the truck, and had the proverbial, "poop point". You know what I'm talking about... threw a couple of #5 Gld Phs into the M37, walked in and flushed a monster covey of quail, and they of course, knowing that they had a 24 hour reprieve, proceed to fan and settle into a recently mowed field of brome that couldn't have hidden a grasshopper. Hunted hard for 2 hours and moved 2 more covey and 2 hen.

Could only hunt 'till about 1:00 as I was meeting some friends down in SE KS to open quail season on Sat.

Went to one last farm that has a huge cattail slough that always holds birds. Sure enough right away, the dogs got birdy and worked a bird for about 50 yds before he got nervous and jumped. Being the accomplished wing shot that I am, proceeded to miss him clean 2 times at approx 35 yds, how does that happen? After about 45 mins slogging through the cattails, the Lord took pity on me and allowed me 2 nice roosters, about 10 minutes before I was going to have a heart attack.

Hunted Sat/Sun with longtime friends, moved 5 covey on Sat, two covey Sunday, wind blowin' about 40 mph. Arrived home Sun nite with two beat britts.

Dogs get this Sat/Sun off, it's the Ark duck opener.

All the best

hoashooter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:32 pm  Reply with quote

I gotta get to KS someday as there are few to no pheasants left in this part of the state Wink