16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  How's the summer shooting going?
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:41 am  Reply with quote

Are you getting your summer target shooting in?

I've gotten to shoot sporting clays several times with my 16 gauge guns, but haven't been to the skeet range yet.

Based on the rain our region is getting the rivers are going to be chocolate milk for a while, so fishing is on hold.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:48 am  Reply with quote

Dave , I haven't shot since March , I am in fishing mode right now , had a great day yesterday with my son . We did very well on the Mahi and were in by 11:30 am.
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:56 am  Reply with quote

Mark, sounds like fun! I have been getting the boat ready for some Mississippi River fishing, but it ain't looking good.
16gaDavis
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:09 am  Reply with quote

just been getting leagues in here - 1 summer trap , 1 summer skeet and a 410 . 410's about over ... had to give up my reg wed/fri gig for 8 weeks as the youth trap league too over . 52 kids split between weds and thurs , then the whole shebang on sun . kept us/me REAL busy . was great to see the kids learn the deal and most of them shot the state tourney . many in the 70's and a few ringers did as good as 99's !! now I need practice !

fin2feather
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:15 am  Reply with quote

I have been to the trap range once. It's been hot and windy - not exactly pleasant shooting weather. Supposed to cool down a bit this week. Like fn16ga it's been mostly fishing for me.

I feel a warm spot in my heart when I meet a man whiling away an afternoon...and stopping to chat with him, hear the sleek lines of his double gun whisper "Sixteen." - Gene Hill, Shotgunner's Notebook
Pine Creek/Dave
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:01 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson,

Have not been able to get out with either the gun or fly rod, busy here prepping our old home for going on the sale market. Way to much work. Need to get the bathroom floor replaced and paint the cellar and shop floors then I can do a little clays shooting and fly fishing. So hot here right now any way, that I am unwilling to shoot any clays or do any fly fishing.

all the best

Pine Creek/Dave
L.C. Smith Man #2

Pine Creek Grouse Dog Trainers
Byron Whitlock
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:09 am  Reply with quote

I haven't been doing much shooting myself this summer. Mostly staying out of the heat and humidity here.
Did manage to do well at the Kansas State Sporting Clay shoot. Only shot the side by side event with my LC Smith and shot good enough to win my class and was second overall with 45x50.
Now it will be back to night fishing for catfish.

CZ Ringneck
Win. Model 12
Rem M11
Stevens 235
bobski
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 am  Reply with quote

july is my summer shooting month. I travel back east and do a circuit of conn, mass, and new York state. I look forward to visiting my friends and I got a special invite too. a fellow offered me an invite to Ludlow skeet and trap in mass.
why is it special?
well...if you know your history, its where skeet was born. though the 1st skeet range in the nation was converted to trap (shameful!,) I will be able to shoot on the first ground where skeet was born. it will special indeed.
san Antonio has always claimed to be the first sanctioned match for skeet in 1933. but Ludlow challenges it. and so the controversy continues, but it cant be denied, the creator of skeet was a member of this range, in this town. I will be there. Wink

Range Owner: Vanzant Clay Pigeon Farm, Mo
Rking22
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 am  Reply with quote

Now that sounds like a roadtrip for my son and I! Havent been shooting much myself, but coaching the TNSCTP hi school teams gets me to the range every week. We start our state shoot tuesday with skeet and sporting clays till thursday. Then 4 days of trap. I am going to shoot the coaches sporting clays competition, I ve been mouthing that the coaches should compete for years. Me and my son will shoot it, he has been a part of the program since 2003, graduated college and coaching now, for fun! I just might put the M12 away and shoot it with a 16ga M37.
Chicago
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:34 pm  Reply with quote

Normally I am not a target shooter, but I did get to the range to double check POI and POA for a couple of my 16’s. Thinking about having a stock made for one of them and I wanted to make sure I had the right measurements so I didn’t give the stockmaker bad info.

I have been to this range for the same purpose with other guns, but I never go back to shoot targets. I don’t reload and I never have the 8 or 9 shot they require when I think about it.

So this topic reminded me I need to order up some “9’s for the skeet range so I can go out there before I head north for grouse season. Every year I tell myself I will do this and then things seem to get in the way.

Thanks for the reminder Dave.

Good Hunting,
Mike
kgb
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:09 pm  Reply with quote

50 targets weekly for a Skeet league, that's a 20ga game for me. A few weeks as a sub on a Trap league team, shoot that with 12ga. The 16ga shoot was my summer 16ga fix so far. No cowboy silhouette yet this year but the high power range laughed at me yesterday. Was a decent day at that.

kennedy756
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:44 pm  Reply with quote

just bought a new gun to shoot trap and its so super hot and muggy I don`t even want to go outside.

16ga Browning A-5 1929
16ga Marlin 90 1939
16ga browning citori lightning grade 3 2003
16ga Francisque Darne 1920
Gordon Disharoon
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:51 pm  Reply with quote

I've been to the sc range twice since my best shooting buddy died. We shot together for 23 years and he was #1 an excellent shot and a real character. My scores are in the dumper and I'm struggling. I'll keep at it.

Regards, Gordon

double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:06 pm  Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, Gordon. Your friend would be glad you're still at it.
Savage16
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:35 pm  Reply with quote

Condolonscences Gordon, that has to be hard. I'm behind in everything, not just shooting, because I've been gone for a couple weeks. Back to skeet league tomorrow.