16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  What chokes for grouse/pheasant gun?
Mod 97
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:44 am  Reply with quote

greetings . . .
I'm in the process of acquiring a Beretta 16ga SxS with really tight chokes. I live in da UP of Michigan, but I also do some pheasant hunting in MN and SD. So I want to open it up for rufus grouse which will be the main use, but I like tighter chokes for pheasants - I take my time and wallop after they got out a bit - what should I do?

I'm thinking Light Mod and Imp Mod. Then I can use spreaders for grouse hunting. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
NR
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:48 am  Reply with quote

I like that combination and think it's very practical for all around use. A lot of the English game guns I have seen are choked imp. cyl. and imp. mod. as is my 16 ga. William & Powell. I don't have any experience using the spreaders but if they work like I've heard they do I think it would be a great choice.

Matt
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:41 am  Reply with quote

In my opinion and experience, ten points of choke in the right barrel, and 20 points in the left will work quite well for just about every upland duty you might use the gun for. In fact, these are the factory configurations in my all original Beretta 409 and are just about what you are already considering.

I'd advise reloading some spreader loads using the polywad insert for close work on ruffs. These loads will give you about a skeet/IC spread out of your barrels. This will work for quail and woodcock too.

A 1 ounce load of #6 shot in the right barrel and a 1-1/8 ounce load of #5 in the left will cover you for nearly all your pheasant hunting needs. If you need more distance for very late season hunting, a 1-1/4 ounce cased wad load will do the job fine.

This set up works so well in the Beretta, that I had my AyA Matador set up the same way. you are definately on the right track. Good luck.
Mod 97
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:48 am  Reply with quote

Can you define 10 points and 20 points of choke? I understand thousandths of an inch constriction, but "points" is new terminology to me.

Thanks!

NR
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:20 am  Reply with quote

'points' means thousandths, so .010 constriction is '10 points' For a 16, .020 would be Imp Mod and .010 is Lt Mod or Skt 2 BUT modern shells tend to pattern tighter than choke constrictions established more than 100 years ago. What 16gg said and get thee to a pattern board Very Happy

Wolfchief
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:47 pm  Reply with quote

Just a thought but I'd use IC in right barrel, Mod in left and for pheasants, use higher quality handloads like 1 1/8 oz. of hard shot or factory Bismuth #5's or 6's; those will tighten your patterns for the big birds...

hoashooter
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:46 pm  Reply with quote

97 -Sorry about the Beretta Embarassed One of the most common mistakes most folks make is the actual distance what they really take game whether it runs or flies.Shoot that thing and then go from there---Two options/1. spreader loads or2.Briley thin walls.You might actually be surprised how far out them birds are before you yank on that trigger Wink Shocked
Lockster
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:11 am  Reply with quote

My 16 is choked .007 IC and .027 I-Mod. It's a great all around combo, especially with double triggers. And when grouse hunting in heavy cover I slip a spreader into the left barrel. After patterning I saw that threw an almost identical pattern as the IC barrel.

Ron Overberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:49 am  Reply with quote

The IC and IM sounds great. I have done that for field work and use spreaders for close targets and rough shooting. It works in my Beretta's.
Beretta Rules!
Ron
cedar16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 10:17 am  Reply with quote

I think you are on the right track. I've used a 16 choked IC/mod since '94 on MN/SD wild pheasants. If you do indeed "let them get out there" the somewhat tighter choking you are contemplating may be good. I've used Polywad spreaders with excellent results in the same gun for grouse. In dog-hair aspen with leaves on, I use a spreader in both barrels, later season or more open woods I load one spreader and one regular. Late-season pheasants are tough. We've gone 60 days with no rain and the fields are dusty and the dewpoints are around 15 degrees making tough scenting. Sunday evening my lab held a solid point on a rooster. My buddy and I walked in on the point. my buddy, an excellent shot, took the bird at 25-30 yards with an ounce of 6 in a 20 ga. The bird went down hard in a patch of catails, I thought easy retrieve as dog went to exact spot within <10 seconds. The bird was a runner and despite returning to the site of the fall over and over, she kept losing the trail in the same area about 20 yards from the fall--a little more moisture and she probably would have tracked it down. A harder hit bird maybe would have had a different outcome. We finally got a good rain in past two days and should have fewer problems from now on. I second Rev's advice, get to the patterning board.
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:13 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:
'points' means thousandths, so .010 constriction is '10 points' For a 16, .020 would be Imp Mod and .010 is Lt Mod or Skt 2

This brings up a question for me. Rev, do you, or anyone else have like a chart or something that outlines how many points of constriction are equal to what choke? I have seen stuff like this in the books, but just can't completely recall what means what when I am out shopping or just looking on the net.

Thanks,

KB
CitoriFeather16
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:29 am  Reply with quote

Choke constriction charts are listed at the top of the "guns" forum.

Matt
KyBrad16ga
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:33 pm  Reply with quote

CitoriFeather16 wrote:
Choke constriction charts are listed at the top of the "guns" forum.

Hey, those are new... I am just now seeing that there. Embarassed

Well, learn something new every day. Thanks for pointing that out and chalk one up to my being clueless and not looking at those FAQ's more closely.

KB
Foursquare
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:01 pm  Reply with quote

KyBrad16ga wrote:
revdocdrew wrote:
'points' means thousandths, so .010 constriction is '10 points' For a 16, .020 would be Imp Mod and .010 is Lt Mod or Skt 2

This brings up a question for me. Rev, do you, or anyone else have like a chart or something that outlines how many points of constriction are equal to what choke? I have seen stuff like this in the books, but just can't completely recall what means what when I am out shopping or just looking on the net.

Thanks,

KB

Brad, even with that chart, the barrel markings won't do you much good. The problem is that one manufacturer's IC is another's Mod and so on
Some examples (all 16ga)
M12 marked IC .004
Sweet 16 marked IC .014
Sweet 16 marked Mod .023
Rem M37 marked Mod .017

Then there's the Citori with a Browning factory Mod tube @ .657, while the Briley LtMod tube is .650.

Without a bore mike, you're whistling in the dark.

Pete

" .......you have learned patience and stubbornness and concentration on what you really want at the expense of what is there to shoot. You have learned that man can as easily be debased as ennobled by a sport....."
Chukarman
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

I have one 16 that is skeet and mod. Another is IC and Full. I like the first gun better for everything from 40 yard chukars to in your face grouse. This is basically a 25 yard and 40 yard choke combination.

The mod choke will kill phesants out to 40 yards. No worries. Pattern your gun.