16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading basics, options for 16 loaders
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 am  Reply with quote

Folks,

I've jumped in and out of the archives of the Ammo and Reloading forum in an effort to narrow down the options and also trying to come up with a desirable package for starting reloading. What I'm looking for is a basic set up to start loading and am seeking real world reviews / advice on the loaders available. I've been seeing the loaders for sale coming and going and am not informed on whether or not they'll work for my desired outcome.

I'm primarily interested in reloading for low pressure 2.5" cheddite hulls, of which I currently have several cases worth lying about in bags.

Advice on a comprehensive set up?

Thanks,

Ted

skeettx
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:19 pm  Reply with quote

Ted

Great thread
OK, single stage or progressive??

Easiest MEC Sizemaster with short kit. Plus great ammo, minus a bit slow if lots of ammo needed (good for 4 boxes or less per week)

https://www.cabelas.com/product/MEC-SHORT-KIT-CONVERTER/2194774.uts?productVariantId=4257242&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04223408&rid=20&ds_rl=1252079&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjq_805O23AIVkCSBCh2ujQqGEAQYCCABEgJ4RfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/440418/mec-sizemaster-single-stage-shotshell-press-16-gauge-2-3-4?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Reloading+-+Shotshell+Presses+%26+Equipment&utm_content=440418&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Reloading+-+Shotshell+Presses+%26+Equipment-_-MEC-_-440418&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjq_805O23AIVkCSBCh2ujQqGEAQYAyABEgJi5vD_BwE

Now much ammo you going to need per month?

Mike

P.S. and they are a Wisconsin company Smile
MEC Shooting Sports
800 Horicon Street, Suite 1
Mayville, WI 53050 USA

1-800-797-4632

Last edited by skeettx on Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:58 am; edited 1 time in total
double vision
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:09 pm  Reply with quote

Like Mike said, it's hard to beat a MEC Sizemaster unless you're shooting a lot of 16 gauge ammo per week. With a little planning I can easily stay ahead with my Sizemaster.
df
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:10 pm  Reply with quote

Another vote for MEC Sizemaster
Dave In AZ
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:57 pm  Reply with quote

for 2.5" shells, there really is only the MEC option I believe.
My Lee Loadall wouldn't go down far enough for that I don't believe?
My PW375 is limited by the 2.75" shell holders which set the size/spacing.
So really it's the MEC, and get their short kit.
16GAwaterfowler
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:30 am  Reply with quote

Dave In AZ wrote:
for 2.5" shells, there really is only the MEC option I believe.
My Lee Loadall wouldn't go down far enough for that I don't believe?
My PW375 is limited by the 2.75" shell holders which set the size/spacing.
So really it's the MEC, and get their short kit.

With the Lee Load all it's just a matter of using spacers at the pre crimp and final crimp station. I use washers in both, the final crimp station you may have to unscrew and put some small washers and longer screws in to raise the shell hold down up a bit, but it works if you want to put the effort into modifying it.
fn16ga
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:36 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Like Mike said, it's hard to beat a MEC Sizemaster unless you're shooting a lot of 16 gauge ammo per week. With a little planning I can easily stay ahead with my Sizemaster.

This ---- the Sizemaster is by far the best choice for low volume targets or hunting. Loading 10 boxes at a session really doesn't take that long once you get into a rhythm ,especailly if you enjoy reloading , which I do.

I shoot mostly 2 1/2" shells so I modified my Grabber to load short shells
Dogchaser37
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:46 am  Reply with quote

I agree,

1 - MEC 16 Gauge Sizemaster
1 - MEC short kit
1 - RCBS M500 Scale or equivalent

There isn’t much in 16 gauge that you can’t reload with those 3 tools.

putz463
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:59 am  Reply with quote

I agree w/DC37 & FN16...

Welcome to the reloading hobby, I enjoy it very much, hope you do as well.

MEC all the way, built like tanks, user friendly & parts easily available. Another bump; they are employee owned and customer service is OUTSTANDING.

IMO; Single stage 600 or SizeMaster if reloading <10 boxes/week...2 boxes with a cup of coffee in the morning is a pleasure. 9000 if more than that. I have SM's in 28, 20, 16, 12 & 10ga shoot on average, target 100+ shells/week + hunting rounds. I can't see ever needing more output than a SM.

My bud and I "raced" to see throughput, his 600 vs my SM, at ten paces the SM was only marginally faster. The main bene I see most is the SM's collet resizer over the 600's swage resizer; collet = easier on the arm. In the used market price difference between a 600 and SM is not very much.

If you foresee tinkering with loads/recipes; consider the universal charge bars.

Again welcome, best of luck with it.

byrdog
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:28 am  Reply with quote

I am a Ponsness Warren guy. For the PW 375c all that is needed is a shortened sizing die. PW will provide you with one for about $20.00. If you want shells that drop into the chamber with better than factory crimps this is the machine that will do that. the PW steel crimp starter is the best for new primed hulls because it forms a perfect new crimp. Most crimp starters are designed to merely refold the already formed crimp not fold a new one

If you take Cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like Prunes than Rhubarb does ----G.M/
eng-pointer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:10 am  Reply with quote

I do agree that a mec single stage is a great option. I just greatly prefer to size my hulls when I am inspecting them. I find it much smoother than doing it as part of the actual reloading process. This is more true on the mec progressive presses however. Anyway I would get a mec supersizer and a mec 600 Jr but that is just a personal preference. Have fun!

James

Last edited by eng-pointer on Tue Jul 24, 2018 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

"My degree of optimism is negotiated daily" Bill Snyder, Former Head Football Coach, Kansas State University
Savage16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:41 am  Reply with quote

+1 on the sizemaster. I have 3-16,20,28ga. Its plenty fast since I do almost all my reloading over the months of Jan/Feb when its often too cold to be outside doing anything else. Like Dogchaser said, a scale is a must since the factory powder bushings are notoriously off. MEC is also known to have great customer service when you have questions/problems.

Pa's Sweet16
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 10:18 am  Reply with quote

Like most responded, MEC is the way to go. Built like a tank, and if you have problems/questions most can be answered on here or call MEC, as their customer service is outstanding. John
Don Pillsbury
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:30 am  Reply with quote

Ted

I also am new to 16 ga so I bought a new Sizemaster. I had previously switched to the Sizemaster from a swedging reloader for 20 ga because it was tough on my shoulder, as noted above. Very happy with both. (I have a 9000 for 12 ga.)

I am using the 2 1/2 inch Cheddite hulls, 3/4 oz., DR16 wad and Hodgdon International based on a recipe from the Hodgon web site for skeet. The 6 point crimp works well for me. I like the load.

Peace
Don
Tedthesurveyor
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:57 am  Reply with quote

Gents, thanks for the concise feedback. It has certainly helped to point me in the right direction. I am familiar with the MEC company. A good friend who worked on the Horicon Marsh lived in Mayville for a spell and always lamented the noise from their production when the wind was out of the south, but he knows several folks that have good jobs with them. Glad to hear so many pleased with their products.

I will not be reloading on a production scale. Likely 30-40 boxes per year at most. A short local sporting clays league is fun to shoot with the vintage SxS, and some pretty serious hunting has stacked up quite a few RST hulls that I'm looking to utilize.

As cost is certainly still a consideration, what are the major differences between the MEC 600 Jr Mark 5 and the Sizemaster? Are there expandable options for one or the other that are 'pros'? It looks like the 2.5" short kit works on either.

I'll likely be putting up a WTB post looking for a 16 Sizemaster, if anyone in this thread knows of one lying around collecting dust. Wink