16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Guns  ~  New Rizzini
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:20 am  Reply with quote

16'er wrote:
Dave Erickson wrote:
Thanks, guys. I'm 0 for several when it comes to 16 gauge doubles, horizontal or vertical. I put the odds in my favor here with the custom dimensions and longer barrels. I tend to overpower light guns, and the long barrels slow things down. The fit is excellent and just a hair high at the nose of the comb, so I have some wiggle room if an adjustment is needed.

Modern gun makes sense for me at this point. I have a lifetime stash of factory hunting ammo and this gun will eat it all without a worry.

I hope to try it out this week!

If you haven’t read The Better Shot by Ken Davies, it mighth help with handling and shooting a lighter gun.

The new fair looks outstanding!

I have that book, and many others.

Thanks!

I'll dig it out and reread his comments. I bought the book from a library in England (online). It's a unique book!

Last edited by double vision on Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:09 am  Reply with quote

Congratulations Dave and it looks fantastic! Merry Christmas Very Happy

Not really being a SxS person, well until I met you, had no idea what a long tang was until you pointed it out to me. Have looked for them on every straight stock since then and have to agree, that looks REALLY nice.

Was stacking flats of factory shells last night and surprised me just how many 16 ga. shells I have now. Not counting all my empty hulls, 7/8 reloads, etc. Thought did occur to me that I could get another 16 to help eat them up and I really like my 2 FAIR guns, and shot Al's Iside well last Spring. If I ordered one now....
Pockets
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:24 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:

Not really being a SxS person, well until I met you, had no idea what a long tang was until you pointed it out to me. Have looked for them on every straight stock since then and have to agree, that looks REALLY nice.

Was stacking flats of factory shells last night and surprised me just how many 16 ga. shells I have now. Not counting all my empty hulls, 7/8 reloads, etc. Thought did occur to me that I could get another 16 to help eat them up and I really like my 2 FAIR guns, and shot Al's Iside well last Spring. If I ordered one now....

You could have it before CHristmas.

https://woodlandclearing.wordpress.com
double vision
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:06 am  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:

Thanks, Mike!
Pockets
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:47 am  Reply with quote

My buddy Lee who knows a thing or two about shotguns was telling me about the Italian guns built by all the Rizinni folks.
It seems they all source the same materials and have the same build quality regardless of price--so these Isides are as good a build as any of the much more expensive guns.
I like that.
Smile

double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:15 am  Reply with quote

We shall see!

I need to go back and find an article where they had some pictures of the innards and more of a technical review. I can feel what I think are coil springs as the gun cocks. It's pretty stiff, but it will most likely break in and get smoother.

The wood to metal fit is really good on the gun, and the long tang was neatly fitted.

Not much to complain about!
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:14 am  Reply with quote

Coil springs

It was the Chuck Hawks review. He had the frame size wrong, but otherwise he has a real good review. They compared the 16 ga. Iside to a 20 ga. AyA #2 and a 20 ga. Merkel 47E and the 16 ga. Iside was narrower side to side because the high quality steel barrels they use are thinner. Not saying the AyA and Merkel barrels aren't high quality, just the Iside's are thinner and make a thinner gun. To me it looks almost 28 gauge slim from the top. These are nice guns!
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:53 am  Reply with quote

Very nice! How much does it weigh? Where can you get tighter chokes for it? Did yours come with the sling swivel? If I got one, it would be a serious chukar gun, and all of the above are concerns. Btw, I really like the long tang too. Congrats Dave and Merry Christmas!

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
double vision
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:03 am  Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark! Merry Christmas back at ya!

It’s a hair under 6 lbs. 3 oz.

It came with the sling hardware. Pretty sure I’ll use it. Every other gun I have is slinged.

Not sure where to get the extra chokes tubes.
UncleDanFan
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:05 am  Reply with quote

Thanks! 6.3lbs is perfect for a field gun.

The man's prayer from the Red Green Show: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to. I guess."
Pockets
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:46 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:
Thanks, Mark! Merry Christmas back at ya!

It’s a hair under 6 lbs. 3 oz.

It came with the sling hardware. Pretty sure I’ll use it. Every other gun I have is slinged.

You can order them direct from FAIR. Dave.

I agree in how slim and fine they carry. Mine with the 28" barrels is an ounce under 6#.
After carrying it on several hunts, it has loosened up some as you would expect. Not much--the tolerances on these builds is impressive. I like it more and more.
Mostly--I've shot either RST 7/8 loads because I have a bunch of them and some 1oz federals, but I also shot a few of those hot Remington game loads and I haven't noticed a bunch of difference in recoil. The gun seems to handle everything well.
Also--I think you saw, but I patterned both the RST and Rem. loads and they both patterned as well and the barrels are regulated dead on. POI was maybe just a tad high and I mean just a tad--which if anything, that is good for me.

Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:23 am  Reply with quote

Dave Erickson wrote:

You can get additional chokes from IFG or direct from FAIR as Pockets said. Pretty sure John can also get them when ever I have talked to IFG and mention 16 ga. they tell me John is the guy to talk to he has forgotten more about the 16 ga. then most of them ever knew.

They do not offer a skeet choke in 16 ga. for whatever reason. Purchasing Full chokes and have Briley open them up would be an option, as would having them make custom tubes but that is going to be close to $100 each.

They are Technichoke tubes and believe that comes from the original name FAIR had which was Techni Mec. And later Isidoro Rizzini company, AKA FAIR Fabbrica Armi Isidoro Rizzini, which translates roughly as “Isidoro Rizzini’s Arms Factory”

I have a NEA FAIR made 16 ga. which was FAIR's first introduction into the US back at the turn of the century. And have 9 choke tubes for it. Which should fit the new Iside 16 ga. and is really an incentive to get one....
Cold Iron
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:31 am  Reply with quote

Pockets wrote:

Not much--the tolerances on these builds is impressive. I like it more and more.

They are built to very high tolerances. According to IFG you can order another barrel in the same gauge and just drop it in without fitting. Although I personally always have had a gunsmith check that. Prices from IFG for a new barrel only run $800-$1100 lately, they like everything else have gone up over the years. At that price comes to the point might as well buy a new gun, depending on your model of course.

I have a 28" and 30" for my FAIR 16 ga. O\U

Pockets
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:36 pm  Reply with quote

Cold Iron wrote:
Pockets wrote:

Not much--the tolerances on these builds is impressive. I like it more and more.

They are built to very high tolerances. According to IFG you can order another barrel in the same gauge and just drop it in without fitting. Although I personally always have had a gunsmith check that. Prices from IFG for a new barrel only run $800-$1100 lately, they like everything else have gone up over the years. At that price comes to the point might as well buy a new gun, depending on your model of course.

I have a 28" and 30" for my FAIR 16 ga. O\U

That is great information, CI.
Thank you.
I expect to be shooting this one for the duration. I see no reason not to.
Quite a bit different situation compared to the classic Americans I've owned.
These guns fit perfect and can take anything you send down the barrel.
Have I said how much I have always admired a round body action?
Smile

double vision
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:11 am  Reply with quote

I took a few whacks at pattern paper yesterday to confirm the point of impact (looked good) and then I shot one B&P load of 7's through the Cyl choke at 27 yards.

Only one pattern, but it looks like typical Cylinder performance.

[URL=https://imageshack.com/i/poieISnuj] [/URL]

Getting ahead of myself, but the Cyl/IC should be stellar in the grouse woods, and the good ol' IC/Mod should be fine for all but extreme pheasant hunting (and then I'll most likely have my A5-12).