16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. General Discussion  ~  An Interesting Site
revdocdrew
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:05 am  Reply with quote

"The dogs seemed to want to come with me and had to be called back to service. At least the dogs seemed to know what was up. Good dogs in my opinion."

At least the Orvis models had good taste in dogs, and the dogs had better taste in people Very Happy (that's the problem with setter dogs-too darn smart Rolling Eyes )

Last edited by revdocdrew on Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total

16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:06 am  Reply with quote

Sebascodegan
Posted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:59 am

16gg wrote:

Quote:
I managed to bag two birds by reverting back to old still hunting tactics

Geez 16gg, reverting back to the ol' "shooting pigeons over crumbs technique"?

Truth be told, you're doing much better than I.

Response:
Nope. I just follow the State stocking truck and pop them as the guys launch them out of the boxes. Its kind of like live bird shooting MA style. Wink Laughing
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:13 am  Reply with quote

Quote:
"The dogs seemed to want to come with me and had to be called back to service. At least the dogs seemed to know what was up. Good dogs in my opinion."

I still think the dogs were after the bread crumbs Wink

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 11:19 am  Reply with quote

revdocdrew wrote:

At least the Orvis models had good taste in dogs, and the dogs had better taste in people Very Happy (that's the problem with setter dogs-too darn smart Rolling Eyes )

I dunno Drew. the local Mickey D's are having a 2 for $3 special on Sausage Mc Muffins. I had a half eaten one rolled up in the paper wrapper in my old vest somewhere and a half of a hash brown too. Maybe the pups were just hungry.

I'm not an Eggs Benadict kind of guy. Besides, carrying left over Eggs Benadict in your vest will definately get you talked about sooner or later, especially if you try to stuff one into your gun in the heat of the moment. so maybe Sebascodegan is on the right track. By the way, Sebascodegan is Algonquin no doubt. what's it mean?
Sebascodegan
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, Sebascodegan is Algonquin no doubt. what's it mean?

Loosely translated: Can't hit a thing

(actually, it's the name of the island I live on....name means something like "almost through".... has to do with the travel routes the local indians used going here to there.... also could be what folks hope of my dialogue Shocked

Primrose Path
A Hunters Fireside Book
- Gene Hill
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:16 pm  Reply with quote

There are many Algonquin place names throughout New England. Algonquin is the root language of virtually all the native peoples in this region. What is very surprprising is that many of these words have root words extremely similar to ancient Norwegian and also Gaelic. Some of the early French Clergy from Normandy and Brittaney noted that they could understand some of what the native peoples were saying.

Perhaps the best example of these Algonquin/Celtic words is the name of the Merrimac River. In Algonquin, it means "river of deep fishing." In ancient Gaelic, it means "river of deep waters" and is pronounced Meriomach.

Norumbega is an Algonquin word for "place of the North men. In ancient Norwegian, it means "our refuge." The legend of Norumbega, a site on the Charles River, in Needham, is that it was a landing with a stone tower for hairy faced, pale skinned men who arrived in very long canoes with sails, shields, and many paddles. They tried taking hostages from the locals to barter for food and were eventually annihalated for their ill manners.

This is could be more evidence that Colubus was a latecomer to the so called New World.