16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Resizing Needed With New Brass
Filmshooter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:11 pm  Reply with quote

I bought some 16 ga Magtech 2 1/2” brass to shoot in my drilling. Tried to chamber then & they wouldn’t go all the way in. Yes, I checked the chambers. Should I have sized them before use? Any suggestions on a fix for what I already have loaded? Thanks for any help!
skeettx
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:28 pm  Reply with quote

This is what I would do for my loaded brass hulls that are not fitting my drilling.

I would disassemble ONE and find out where it is binding

Front or back.

I would then use a 16 gauge MEC SuperSizer to correct base issues
and if flared at the mouth would apply judicious use of a MEC 20 gauge Supersizer.

I would then carefully ascertain the path forward on the loaded hulls.

Now a question, would the hulls fit in the chamber before you loaded them??

WELCOME and pleased to have you on your first posting

Mike

Filmshooter
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:00 pm  Reply with quote

No, they wouldn’t. Thanks much for the advice.
old colonel
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:19 pm  Reply with quote

Some chambers are tighter than others. While common standards exist they are not universal.

While I have not found this problem with mag techs or new RMC I have found it with once fired RMC brass which after being fired in one gun and fire forming to that gun’s chamber were then too big by 2 thousandths for my Purdey. I also had a gGreener and a German guild gun with tighter than my Belgian and French guns chambers.

Full length resizing of brass hulls requires the correct die (dies that match up to your chamber)

At this point I would first measure your hulls which don’t fit against standard SAAMI chamber dimensions and then measure you’re gun. Also check clambering for all you 16 guns to see if it is unique to one gun as an issue. I found two of seven of my 16’s had tighter chambers.

Once you have done all your measurements you can then compare to a 16ga full length sizing die. If the die is less than your chambers then resize and your good.

Or you can do what I did and forget MAGTeCHs and move on. Which I did because of wads and lack of good smokeless data. So I am now religiously attached to RMC.

goathoof
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I do use the magtechs, and they will not all fit in my guns due to what was reported by Old Colonel. To correct this issue, I purchased the die sets from CH4D. I have the sizing die, the mouth flaring die, and the seater/crimper die. When I use this method the brass shells will fit all the guns.
MaximumSmoke
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:55 am  Reply with quote

Anybody tried resizing brass hulls on a MEC 600/700? -- Ring Resizer Wink Be sure top take out the de-prime punch if you haven't made a small punch for the pistol primers (I have), or leave the standard size punch in if you 're using 209-sized primers. That was my plan if this problem had cropped up, but I haven't had to do it yet. Of course you'd have to use use some good lube for this process -- the same stuff used for rifle brass. Then afterward you'd have to clean the lube off the de-prime station. Again, it was a plan, and I have not tried it yet.
casebro
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:55 pm  Reply with quote

Shotgun chambers taper about .007" in 16ga.

Could the OP put them in a Sizemaster upside down, and resize only the end? Maybe adjust the sizer so they barely fit? Or a Mec ring, only do the end?

What press is the OP using? Final crimp of both Mec and Hornady is a taper. Plus the Hornady has an extra staion that tapers the end.

But he is probably loading by hand tools rather than a press?

Dying with all ten fingers is like dying with money in the bank- you could have had more fun!