16ga.com Forum Index
<  16ga. Ammunition & Reloading  ~  Reloading the black Remington hull
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:54 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:28 pm  Reply with quote

Nice write up Mike. I agree with most of it but I've got to call you on one comment. Have you ever tried the SG20L wad?

Here is a picture of some 7/8 oz loads using the SG20L and International Clays. No filler is used in this load. Velocity is 1200 fps @ 9000psi. I've been shooting it for three years without a single blooper. This load is in the 16 gauge group spread sheet.

I can live with these crimps. It sure is nice not to mess around with fillers! Smile
hoashooter
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:37 pm  Reply with quote

Mike join the 16 ga. society and your troubles will be cured Wink I load the same hull with a 3/4 oz that will function my autos but I use a filler--don't really pay it no mind whether hunting or trying to bust a skeet target Wink Kinda like a small ticker tape parade at every shot Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Especially the older 8pt crimps what have a little extra space inside
mike campbell
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:03 pm  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:51 pm  Reply with quote

mike campbell wrote:
Dave;

I'm really intrigued.

Yes, I have 2,000 of the SG20L's and I'll evntually use them up in 20ga loads I guess. Those shells look almost a little too full. I don't get it.

Why do you use this load? I like the specs, but I don't consider 9,000psi to be "low." That pressure level coming from a relatively fast powder (faster than UniClays and Unique) is the kind of combo I look for.

Do you use the SG20L because it's a looser fit and seats easier than the 16? Do you actually see a difference in "fullness" with the 20 & 16 wads? I didn't, so I saw no benefit.

You can see from my pic the only diff between the SG16 & 20 is the petal length. Is it that the smaller cup ID and longer petals take up room?

I also played with I-Clays, but switched to Gr Dot for versatility across the 16 & 12. I don't have pressure data so I don't want to share my load details. I do chronograph extensively and found the standard deviation with Gr Dot loads was the very best, although my I-Clays loads were certainly OK.
Does the Group use Gr Dot at all?

Mike, the SG16's I tried in the Rem hull were such a tight fit that I never even bothered with that combo. I tried, but they were a terrible match, way too tight. I then thought. hmmm, if these SG16 wads were so oversized in diameter, maybe the SG20L would be also larger in diameter. Worth a look. Well I was thrilled when I found that visually they seemed to have a near identical diameter as the American 16 gauge wads like the Remington SP16, R16, and the Winchester AA16. Check that for yourself. Just compare the diameters of the American 16 gauge wads and the SG20L. So we have a wad with virtually the same diameter at the gas seal as a 16 gauge wad, but with a shotcup that gives a taller column of shot.

I think the reason the shot column is higher in the SG20L is because the shot cup does indeed have a smaller diameter, so the shot must "pile higher" or take up more space vertically. Notice the petals are longer on the SG20L to compensate for the taller shot column. Believe it or not I get pretty good crimps using 3/4 oz of shot with this combo. They are just slightly concave, but they work fine. (no filler!) My 16 gauge SxS is so light that I've decided that I'm going to go strictly with the 3/4 oz version next summer for my skeet shooting.

I went with International Clays only because I was getting unburned flakes of powder with Unique and it was binding up the action of my SxS. I knew that the "Clays" family were generally very clean burning powders, and after doing a lot of extrapolating and looking at 7/8 oz 20 gauge loads I decided to submit a load with Int. Clays. My 16 gauge guns can easily handle 9000psi., so that pressure level works out very well. The loads are crisp and clean.

So anyway, that's it in a nutshell. I put a 20 gauge rammer tube in my 16 gauge loader because the taller, small diameter shot cup wanted to grab on to the 16 gauge rammer tube, but that's only about a $4.00 part on a MEC. Send me a PM if you want to chat about this some more.
jchandler
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:21 am  Reply with quote

Mike,
Great post! Photos really help tell the story.

I know the 16 ga reloading group is "low pressure" but our results are often not. Loads developed run the gamut from sub-1000fps loads that are likely to be squibs to 1300fps+ and some pressures that are way too high(12000psi).Many 7/8 oz loads and some 3/4oz loads. But also some 1 1/8 oz loads and even some Bismuth data where non-tox is required.
And if you have a pet load, you can get it tested and see what pressure/velocity you're using.

That's how we come up with loads like Dave mentioned using the SG20 wad. Other 20 ga wads have also been used (Orange Duster, Federal etc) in the Rem hull.

Guess I'm kind of a cheerleader but I have really found lots of useful information after joining the group.

Jeff
mike campbell
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:32 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Twice Barrel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:08 am  Reply with quote

Try using the Gualandi 2025 wad sold by Graf and Sons. I think that you will find it is a perfect fit for 7/8th ounce loads in the Black Remington or old Winchester compression formed hulls without filler . They are designed for 7/8th ounce loads. I am pretty sure that the SG20L is the same as the Gualandi 2021B which is designed for 1 ounce loads.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 11:17 pm  Reply with quote

Twice Barrel, the Graf's Gualandi 2025 is the same wad as the Ballistic Products "SG20L." You're right, they do work well, and I buy mine from Graf's, too! $89.99 per 5000 with free shipping. My last 5000 were priced at $69.99, but unfortunately like everything else they have went up in price. Still a better price than any of the others, and you don't have to spend money or time on fillers. (but you knew that) Smile

These are the loads I use for skeet and "fun" clays in my 6lb 16 gauge.
RWG
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:22 am  Reply with quote

The Orange duster 20 ga. wad works well too. Not all 20 ga. win wad clones work as well as the Orange Duster. Guess its the flexibility of the plastic. Russ
mdoerner
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:35 pm  Reply with quote

Mike, instead of lengthening the wad, why don't you try shortening the hull? 2-1/2" loads should cycle just fine in any auto. You've gone this far, why not go all the way? Very Happy Also, if you're considering the 20 gauge wad, be sure to use a big flake powder like 800X, Blue Dot, etc. so you don't start having problems with powder migration.

BTW, I'm a member of the 16ga reloading group. I'm working on the old style "cup wad" loads that Winchester used to make in the 1950's (I like confetti.) Point is, we all do different things in the group. If we stumble on a low pressure combo then it's a bonus. Besides, what else can you buy for $20 these days? A tank of gas? NOT! Laughing

Mike Doerner
Jeff Mulliken
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:18 pm  Reply with quote

I second the motion on cutting down 16's, and you dont have to go all the way to 2 1/2". Just take them down to where you get a perfect crimp.

I started cutting down hulls to shoot in my 65mm chambered '23 A5. That's 2 9/16"......I found that it gives me a lot of leeway on 7/8 oz loads.

I have not settled on final recipes yet as I'm still messing around trying to find the lightest load that will reliably cycle this old A5, and what with hunting and work getting in the way this may take awhile.

Jeff
16gaugeguy
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:37 pm  Reply with quote

Most of the regulars know by now that I've been using the R16 and one or two 28 ga. .135" thick card wads for my 7/8 and 3/4 ounce loads. I tried the Federal 20S1 wads as a substitute, but it still needs a filler wad. I'm so practiced at inserting the 28 ga wads now, that its not any slower to load them than no filler wads at all. I've not had any confetti either.

I use 16.5 grains of Green Dot, which is about the same in burn rate as International clays. Unique is too slow for these light loads as is Universal clays. These two work very well in 1 ounce loads though.

I've found the Gualandi 16 ga. wads are too tight a fit in the Remington hull. The B&P 20 ga. Z wad is supposedly the biggest diameter 20 ga wad made, even bigger than the G wads. If this is true, the 7/8 ounce model should work quite well as a substitute. I like its configuration much better than the GL wads for a number of reasons. However, at this time, its not being imported.

I was the ramrod behind the R16 availability movement. We were down to no suitable 1 ounce wad for the Remington hull, unless you adapted the SP-16. My aim was to preserve as much of what is available than any other reason.

I'd like to see one of our wad companies introduce a 16 ga wad suitable for 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads in the Remington as well as the straight wall cases. Technically, it can easily be done. Finacially, it won't be cheap. However, I'm betting the wads would sell like hotcakes, based on how fast the R16 wads sold.

Finally, your idea of spinning a plumb bob in the shell mouth is a good one. I can easily see why you need to if you are using GL16 wads. However, so far, I've not had any real problems seating an R16 or SP-16 wad into a Remington hull on my MEC Grabber without ironing thm out first. The plastic wad guide fingers work very well for me. They don't work well with the G wad. Seating tem stretches the mouth too much and causes too many premature splits. I've also broken off some of the wad guide fingers with the G wads. I'm also not too thrilled with the very shallow capacity shot cups or the overly stiff wad base either.
Dave Erickson
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:49 am  Reply with quote

16gaugeguy wrote:

I was the ramrod behind the R16 availability movement. We were down to no suitable 1 ounce wad for the Remington hull, unless you adapted the SP-16. My aim was to preserve as much of what is available than any other reason.

Yes, we all know this. Your bronze statue is almost ready! Rolling Eyes

16gaugeguy wrote:

I'd like to see one of our wad companies introduce a 16 ga wad suitable for 3/4 to 7/8 ounce loads in the Remington as well as the straight wall cases. Technically, it can easily be done. Finacially, it won't be cheap. However, I'm betting the wads would sell like hotcakes, based on how fast the R16 wads sold.

I'd like that too, but being that the 20 gauge Gualandi makes such nice light 3/4 and 7/8 oz target loads without the need for fillers I didn't see the need for the R16. I suppose if I banged away at targets with a full ounce of shot in a 16 gauge where the R16 would have some use. Most of us 16 gaugers are hunters who want some inexpensive, low recoil, easy to assemble target loads for casual clays or skeet. For few hunting loads I assemble, I like the B&P 16 gauge wad better than the Remington wads. They pattern better in my guns and you can just buy them a bag at a time.

16gaugeguy wrote:

I'm also not too thrilled with the very shallow capacity shot cups or the overly stiff wad base either.

If you actually followed the discussion you's realize that evryone knows that the 16 gauge Gualandi is a poor fit in the Remington hull.

The 20 gauge Gualandi makes and excellent light 16 gauge target load without the additional expense and time involved with fillers. For some reason this has always bothered you and feel the need to consistently put down the G wads. In your mind it's somehow connected to the value of the R16 wads. If you go back through these discussions you sound like a broken record.

As long as you keep up this nonsense I will make a point of pointing out your BS!

Cheers! Very Happy
mike campbell
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:50 am  Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last edited by mike campbell on Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total